Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

28/24 for A7ii
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: 28/24 for A7ii Reply with quote

Hi guys
I need your help plaese. First post, registered today, so no pictures. I have been reading this forum for a few weeks, but I'm still undecided what lenses to buy. I've had a complete kit in M42, back in film days, 20-200mm. But on crop DSLR it did not work, so most are gone. CZJ 20/2.8, Vivitar 135/2.8 close focus, a few 135, 35, 28 all gone. I only kept most of my trusty S-M-C Takumars, still own 55/1.8 and 85/1.8. My 35/2 suffered from yelloing and coating coming loose, gave it to my niece with the ES, she collects old cameras.

A few weeks ago I got a really good deal on an new A7ii, not even 1000€, so I upgraded from a Nex6. Thank god, I'm back to workable MF, I hate AF! FF is nice, but all my wideangle lenses are crop only. I need to get at least one really good wideangle lens. I've got some good deals on ebay this week, a usable lightweight telezoom (but corners need f16), and two great 50s. Both are branded Revuenon, 55/1.4 in M42 and a 50/1.4 in PK mount. That M42 lens is even better than my Tak 55. By the way, 35€ for the 50, the 55 came with a box of mixed gear for 30€.

Not looking to spend more money than needed on a single lens, but I might if it is a really great one. I am building a kit for air travelling first, so size and weight are important. So far I have adaptors for M42, MD and PK, so these mounts are prefered. I also have a LA-EA3 for my 180 Macro, but it's macro only and Minolta AF is infereor to real MF lenses.

I'm looking for something lightweight and sharp up to the corners at reasonable f-stops and with almost no CA. M42, MD and PK mounts prefered, adaptors add weight and I already have to carry two, because my zoom is MD and my 50s are M42 and PK.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

As you already have a MD to E-mount adapter I would recommend the Minolta 24mm/F2.8 lens, particularly the last MD III version. IMHO one of the best 24mm MF lenses.
The best budget lens would be the Tokina RMC 24mm/F2.8, available in different mounts for little money.

The Minolta MD 28mm/F2.8 would also be a very good choice. Fully usable already wide open even on FF like your A7 II.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, klebs!

Similar questions were regularly popping up in this forum. Here is a selection of discussions where you may find first answers and some samples.

Recent FF era discussions

http://forum.mflenses.com/best-vintage-24mm-and-20mm-prime-lens-t79468.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/28mm-for-a7-t73652.html

Older crop era ones

http://forum.mflenses.com/best-24mm-t58837.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/favorite-wide-angle-lens-and-why-a-sample-t61508.html

Transhistoric discussion (from crop era to FF era)

http://forum.mflenses.com/your-best-28-and-how-you-got-there-t45236.html

For ultrawide

http://forum.mflenses.com/rectilinear-ultra-wide-angle-lens-for-ff-t79078.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best 28's is the SMC Pentax K 28/3.5 https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-pentax-k-smc-28mm-13-5/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite wide zoom from my film days is my Sigma 21-35mm f/3.5-4. Mine's in M42, one of the early ones with the built-in "petal" lens hood, so it needs to be used on a good-quality (or adjustable) adaptor to ensure the hood lines up when mounted.

My favourite "all-purpose" lens was the Tamron 28-200mm f/3.8-5.6 #171 (not so much the earlier #71). Made mostly from polycarbonate it's relatively light, at just over 500gm with PKA adaptor fitted.

Good luck Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Welcome to the forum, klebs!

Similar questions were regularly popping up in this forum. Here is a selection of discussions where you may find first answers and some samples.

Recent FF era discussions

http://forum.mflenses.com/best-vintage-24mm-and-20mm-prime-lens-t79468.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/28mm-for-a7-t73652.html

Older crop era ones

http://forum.mflenses.com/best-24mm-t58837.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/favorite-wide-angle-lens-and-why-a-sample-t61508.html

Transhistoric discussion (from crop era to FF era)

http://forum.mflenses.com/your-best-28-and-how-you-got-there-t45236.html

For ultrawide

http://forum.mflenses.com/rectilinear-ultra-wide-angle-lens-for-ff-t79078.html

Thank you very much, those links helped a lot. I must have come across those posts when reading through the last 6000 posts, but this way it is easier. With your help I found Dan Euritt's comparisons of 28mm, and that and his comparisons of 24mm helped me make a decision. Sometimes one picture really says more than a thousend words.

I will look for that "Albinar ADG 28mm f/2.8" first, here in Germany they were branded as Porst and they are cheap and plentyful. Seems to be kind of a sleeper. Trying out cheap no name lenses is a lot of fun, especially if you find a hidden gem like that Revuenon 55. If that doesn't work out, I'll go for the Pentax.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, you need to look at the manufacturers of the first tier.
1.Canon nfd 24/2.8 , 28/2.8
2 Minolta md-III 24/2.8 , 28/3.5
3 Pentax 28/3.5 - priority
4 CZ T* 28/2.8
5 Can be still that the from Nikkor (In 3-4 generations)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H'mm is the 24mm ensinor worth mentioning?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you are a Pentax guy, this may be your preference. I had the Canon 24 2.8 nFD, which is mechanically and plastically inferior and gave it away, the MD III 24 mm 2.8 (8 lens) which is great and a MDII/III 24 mm 2.8 compact one which is also very good but maybe not as good as the MDIII 8 in the corners.
MD III 28mm f 2.0 also excellent and compact.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

Yes, it certainly is. I was about to mention it before I read your post. Wink

Also, the Olympus OM 28mm f3.5 is worth a mention. Small, lightweight, excellent image quality and affordable. What's not to like?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manual WA on A7 on the cheap seems to be a bit of a problem. I looked, too for those and had these:

Minolta MD 28 f2.8 (7 elements): small, lightweight, very good IQ, excellent value for the money, although they seem to be a bit more expensive nowadays. The 24 is a lot more expensive unfortunately.
Exakta (Cosina) 24 f2.8 Makro: IQ is OKish, Build not as good as the Minolta, was'nt entirely satisfied
Tokina RMC 24 f2.8: Good IQ already wide-open, good build, small, but the corners stay a bit mushy
Minolta MD 24-35: Should've kept that, excellent for a zoom!

Just got me a Soligor(Cosina) 19-35 for Canon EF and a Canon EF 24-85 and did a few quick and dirty comparisons with my Tokina. Centre sharpness is good with all of them, they all exibit purple fringing and a good deal of CAs (although a lot more modern, the zooms more so than the prime).
Bottom Left:
Can_Sol_Tok_F11_unten_links by CommanderBrot, auf Flickr
Centre:
Can_Sol_Tok_F11_zentrum by CommanderBrot, auf Flickr
Top right (but focus was on the centre, so this is out of focus!)
Can_Sol_Tok_F11_oben_rechts by CommanderBrot, auf Flickr

The Canon EF and Soligor 19-35 set to 24 both seem to be a good deal wider than the Tokina. Perhaps it's not a true 24 after all? The Tokina has good resolution but poor contrast compared to the zooms. But that cleans up nicely with a little post-processing.

Ordered me a Kiron 28 f2 and I think I'm gonna sell the Tokina. If I want to go small and fast, the Kiron will do, if I want wide 24 may not be enough.

My advice: Get a 24 from a third-party only if it's cheap. 28 seem to be a lot more easy to build.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received a Nikon AIs 28 in the last week. It definitely is as good as people say, they are slightly pricy in comparison though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
I just received a Nikon AIs 28 in the last week. It definitely is as good as people say, they are slightly pricy in comparison though.

Next week I should get a Nikkor 28/3.5 (K) , see if really it was necessary immediately to take the Pentax 28/3.5 ) I have already returned the Nikkor 35/2.8 (K) which turned out to be decentered. The test in the far field showed that it is better than the Minolta MD-III 35/2.8.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoine wrote:
Since you are a Pentax guy, this may be your preference. I had the Canon 24 2.8 nFD, which is mechanically and plastically inferior and gave it away, the MD III 24 mm 2.8 (8 lens) which is great and a MDII/III 24 mm 2.8 compact one which is also very good but maybe not as good as the MDIII 8 in the corners.
MD III 28mm f 2.0 also excellent and compact.

Thanks Antoine, but as to beeing a Pentax guy I am not. A lens needs to deliver good pictures, the brand I don't care about. Those Takumars just happened to be my best lenses. That Minolta 24 was completely off my radar. Had a look at some sample pictures, and the 8 lens version looks promising. I would prefer 24, I only settled for 28, because all 24 I looked at had inferior quality. Anybody know if the AF 24/2.8 is the same optically?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klebs, glad it was useful. Albinar is a rather non-orthodox choice, I am very curious to see your pictures!

As for the 24mm, look in the direction of Hexanon 2.8/24. It's a very good lens available at 120-150 euros, if you don't mind the price range. You should study how it renders in the corners, but the whole image feeling rendered by it is extremely pleasing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klebs wrote:
That Minolta 24 was completely off my radar. Had a look at some sample pictures, and the 8 lens version looks promising. I would prefer 24, I only settled for 28, because all 24 I looked at had inferior quality. Anybody know if the AF 24/2.8 is the same optically?

I have both the MD 24mm/F2.8 (latest MD III 8/8 version) and the AF 24mm/F2.8 (similar 8/8 construction).
In direct comparison the MD is slightly better (in pixel peeping mode) when used wide open for landscape but this may also be caused by sample variation. I only have 1 copy per lens.
In practical use, particularly when stopped down a little bit they perform both excellently and on a very high quality level. These Minolta lenses are simply great!

BTW, I have the SMC Pentax K 24mm/F2.8 as well and this lens is visible worse wide open.

Although only done on APS-C this comparison might give you some impressions: http://forum.mflenses.com/24mm-lens-comparison-minolta-pentax-tokina-t76783.html

I have used these lenses on my A7R II as well and the results on FF are quite similar; i.e. the ranking doesn't change.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMC Pentax 28mm f/3.5, the 8-elements version so not the 'Pentax-M'.

Stunning lens if you find f/3.5 reasonable.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are from Kiron 28mm f2 on my A7R (first outing!):

The aperture was not noted but medium (f11?) for the first one.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

Yes, it's a very under rated lens. And being a 'no name' lens they are cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Minolta 24mm f/2,8 MDIII works better than the Olympus OM 24mm f/2,8 I had before.
Overall a bit sharper and more reliable.
The Tamron 24mm f/2,5 is nice for the money. Fun bubble bokeh on crop sensor and good sharpness.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron Adaptall 24mm f2.5 - either the 01B or the 01BB

the second version's optics are better than the first, but Tamron changed the focus ring to a smaller, less useful design....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Klebs, glad it was useful. Albinar is a rather non-orthodox choice, I am very curious to see your pictures!

As for the 24mm, look in the direction of Hexanon 2.8/24. It's a very good lens available at 120-150 euros, if you don't mind the price range. You should study how it renders in the corners, but the whole image feeling rendered by it is extremely pleasing.

Got one in PK mount on ebay last week, branded 'Exacta', 32€ incl. shipping. It must have suffered a massive hit on the front, didn't see it in the auction. Can't mount filters but I will keep it anyway, I am quite pleased with it optically. I am still waiting for better weather, lots of rain in the last days. Today the air is very clean, but stormy. All pictures jpegs strait out of the camera, no postprocessing.

This is what it looks like

picture at f5,6 handheld

center at f2.8

center at f5.6

corner at f2.8

corner at f5.6

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost my minolta md-III 28/3.5. Need to landscape. Choice: There is a very cheap mc w.rokkor 28/3.5 checked / centered or look at the nFD 28/2.8 or others ? The main thing is the angles and glare (Minolta coverage is worse Canon)

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="klebs"

Got one in PK mount on ebay last week, branded 'Exacta', 32€ incl. shipping. It must have suffered a massive hit on the front, didn't see it in the auction. Can't mount filters but I will keep it anyway, I am quite pleased with it optically. I am still waiting for better weather, lots of rain in the last days. Today the air is very clean, but stormy. All pictures jpegs strait out of the camera, no postprocessing.

[/quote]

This lens is carried in many brands, cpc, sears, etc. I also heard it is pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye on sigma superwide 24mm 2,8.

Better than MDIII and nFD. Had them all.

You need a good copy though and I had to buy two to have a good one.