Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens hood for Tamron 23A
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Lens hood for Tamron 23A Reply with quote

Hi,

I own a tamron 23a (60-300 SP) lens that unfortunately didn't come with the original lens hood. You can buy the original (tamron 48fh) for round about 30$ which is too much for my taste. So at the moment I use a cheap screw-in hood that does the trick. Downsides are: the screw-in one does vignette at 60mm and can't be turned upside-down for easy storage like the original one. So maybe there's another cheap alternative?

Does anyone know if the bayonet type tamron used to have on the 23a can be found on other lens makers as well? Cheap lens hood clones for different lenses can be found on chinese online shopping places like aliexpress.com, but I don't know what to look after.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Lens hood for Tamron 23A Reply with quote

Big R wrote:
Hi,

I own a tamron 23a (60-300 SP) lens that unfortunately didn't come with the original lens hood. You can buy the original (tamron 48fh) for round about 30$ which is too much for my taste. So at the moment I use a cheap screw-in hood that does the trick. Downsides are: the screw-in one does vignette at 60mm and can't be turned upside-down for easy storage like the original one. So maybe there's another cheap alternative?

Does anyone know if the bayonet type tamron used to have on the 23a can be found on other lens makers as well? Cheap lens hood clones for different lenses can be found on chinese online shopping places like aliexpress.com, but I don't know what to look after.

I own this lens--we are agreed-- $30 is too much for the original hood. The mechanical vignetting of your current hood can be remedied by mindfully (perhaps with a dremel tool--even a hand file, depending upon the material of which the hood is made) & gradually removing some of the hood until you are happy. Also, seeking an inexpensive hood (Ebay has worked for me here) which is designed for a lens of similar specifications will often work. The issue is, of course, in attaching the surrogate hood to the 23a. So if the front threads are identical, this is a no-brainer. But, if you want to "clip on" to the 23a, you need more skills/experience with a dremel to make it happen, or else you need mechanical, creative and possibly even engineering-like skills. Bottom line--you can make your own hood and it is easier than you would think though, of course, the first one is the biggest challenge.

Also, though I've never used this resource, there are websites (an example is below for you to check-out) which allow you to download a simple design to create a hood for almost any application which is made from paper/soft cardboard. While the weaknesses of such an option are immediately apparent, the strengths become more obvious as you think about it carefully. For example, losing the paper hood sheds no tears--getting another one is no problem--making more than one of them, for the various sensor applications is not a problem, etc. Best, jt

http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i got my 23a it didn't have a hood. I used it a couple times with a 62-72 step up ring and $7 screw on metal hood from Amazon. I didn't notice any vignetting taking pictures at hockey games. Still won't store reversed though.

I did find the correct hood at a camera store in their bargain bin for $5.

You might want to check the goodwill auction site. 23a's with hoods are showing up every now and then. You may get lucky and pick a lens and hood for less than $30 including shipping.