Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The art of selling
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:43 pm    Post subject: The art of selling Reply with quote

Crossing the planes and mountains of ebay, I came across a seller from Russia who seems to ride his business quite successfully.

Among his fully positive sold feedbacks there is a Biotar for $213.50, a Boyer Saphir for $146.50 or a Trioplan for $1.619.00. What, a Trioplan for $1.619, in the seller's list with modest 77 evaluations, and only 12 left in the last year? From the far Russia where the post service is not necessarily precise? And he does not even describe his items very thoroughly speaking about their mechanical and optical state. Although the shots presenting the current selling lenses and cameras look rather sexy.

The buyers' feedback sounds a bit curt, but the auction list does not look like a washing machine.

I am puzzled of how such high prices might marry with that modest feedback ratio and scarce descriptions. Is that just all about the nice photo presentation?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO the presentation does the trick. That's really the most important issue if you want to sell successfully.

The Trioplan hype isn't really understandable for me. I have a copy lying around and I don't really need it because it's not even mediocre. I just have it because it was cheaply available for something like EUR 20,- some years ago.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that many items have increased prices ,precisely to inflate prices, so a bit lower item sold,would looks like a good deal. Of course ,there are some very sought-after items,that aren't easy to find , and ebay,like a global platform, is a really good place to publish. I, personally ,never bought from Russia, because the customs fees finally increase to much the supposed lower price. My best deals I've got,are from surrounded neighbourhoods/citties,so that's the way to go (if possible ) to check the items personally.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
I, personally ,never bought from Russia, because the customs fees finally increase to much the supposed lower price. My best deals I've got,are from surrounded neighbourhoods/citties,so that's the way to go (if possible ) to check the items personally.

Interesting. Where are you located? I never pay any customs fees or duties when I buy from Russia as everything is within the free allowance for imports.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Spain ,never bought from Russia ,but being out.of EU, I assume there is customs to pay, just like USA . Many years ago, I used to buy from USA ,but now customs.make it unworthy.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seller has got about 3 super king ernostar 100mm 1.8 ,all sold for about 700 dollars , I've never seen nobody with so many of these rare lenses, I don't know what to think about it. I've got a komura 100 1.8 ,and just found its original hood, just like the 35mm 2.5 so, finally these komura ain't that rare anymore...?
I believe that the art of selling is close related with the art of buying,to make things easier, of course....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be a good explanation, pretty pictures.

Unless the seller advertises his auctions at some forums, with more or less enthusiast public but not very experimented, who are prone to pay higher bills for rare (and not that rare) items. What makes me think about that is the fact that you normally think twice before sending an amount higher than 50 dollars or euros to a seller who only has 77 feedbacks.