Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Petri CC Auto 1.8/55 M42 in a forest
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:46 pm    Post subject: Petri CC Auto 1.8/55 M42 in a forest Reply with quote

I did not wish to hijack the thread with nice samples from the Petri lens in original mount, so created this one apart.

This version of the lens is on M42 mount. Quite beaten outside and with slightly damaged coating (on the edges). It still remains a very capable lens, put on Sony Nex with a lens booster. Painterly bokeh WO confirms it is the same lens as the one with original Petri mount. The contrast of SOOC jpeg is on a rather low side. Meanwhile the use of autocontrast makes a perfect shot in most cases. This is always a very pleasant option, to see how the one-click autocontrast changes the shot in the right way.

The crispness of some shots reminds me those taken with an enlarger Ross Resolux representing a similar scenery. The shots are mosty taken at apertures from WO to f2.8.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are very good - as expected.
I am a big fan of the Petri 55mm lenses range, and they are still an absolute bargain in the marketplace.
Well done
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice results! Is it the same version of the lens like the one from the other post you linked to?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens indeed. I also quite like its foreground bokeh:
Amerongen_19 by devoscasper, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Petri is a wonderful lens, it works well in the woods.

I have processed this slightly, just to get better detail in the black fungus, and the detail is all there. I took the same shot a day earlier with a Helios 44-M and was dissapointed with the lack of detail in the fungus.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your feedback and more shots fellows!

I think (unscientifically) that both versions of the lens, in the original and in M42 mount, are identical.

Agreed with the level of detail and mild front bokeh. #1 and #3 above have some OOF foreground elements that add atmosphere and pop to the items in-focus. The overall balance between sharpness and mildness is especially appealing in this lens.

Here is a couple more shots from the same forest walk.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens shows his oldness. Specially in highlight rendering.
Perhaps metering the highlights and putting it in zone 7 can help.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be right. Or this is my way to shoot in contrast light. When I wish to highlight some items in the darker part of the shot, I don't mind the sky to be clipped.