Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

They told me it was a very good lens - Nikkor 200mm f4 Ais
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: They told me it was a very good lens - Nikkor 200mm f4 Ais Reply with quote

Hi,
I bought for about 80 dollar the Nikkor 200mm f4 Ais on a local online market.
I went out this week end and took some pictures with the fuji X-T10.

Ho do you think it stacks up against other old 200mm lenses, in particular the Takumar?

PS: note, some pictures came out a little blurry as I am not used to shoot at this focal length.
Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takumars and Nikkons are usually on same level in my experience. I had all 200mm Takumars in past and Nikkors as well.

200mm f4 almost all same no matter who made it, just like 135mm or 50mm lenses all great.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no experience with the Nikkor but i've owned an S-M-C Takumar 4/200, here are some shots from it.

I believe Attila is right...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the nikkor 200mm f4 ais micro is very good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had SMC Takumar 200/4 and Nikon ai 200/4, I prefer Nikon 'coz it's lighter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your AiS stacks up very well to a Takumar.
I have the Super, S-M-C, and an older Nikkor-Q 200mm f4. They all resolved about the same, but the SMC rendered color better. Your newer Nikkor has better color than the pre-Ai Nikkor-Q.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned an AIs Nikkor 200/4 years ago and I found it to be a tack-sharp optic. One nice thing about it is it was so much smaller and lighter than the earlier pre-AI design. It didn't get much use, though, because I also owned an AIs 180/2.8 ED, which was an incredible lens. Your photos, especially the one of the bird, show its capabilities well.

These days, I own the 200/4 Micro-Nikkor, which is almost as compact and lightweight. It's a good third option if you can find it at a competitive price. The fact that it focuses down to 1:2 is a big bonus.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the garden with this lens.
Tom

Crop and mono from above

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
In the garden with this lens.

Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH great shots. I really must expand my repertoire of Nikon glass.