Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax 139Q mirror lock up after lubricating for shutter squ
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Contax 139Q mirror lock up after lubricating for shutter squ Reply with quote

So I recently got a Contax 139Q in need of a few minor things, one of which being a squeaky shutter. I found the offending flywheels and lightly lubricated them with a small brush, activated the shutter a few times and was just starting to rejoice as the squeak stopped sounding. Unfortunately the mirror then locked right in the up position. The gears I lubricated still turn when I manually move the mirror, but it snaps straight back up again when I let go. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 139 Q but I've never attempted to service it. Have you tried removing the battery(s) and then reinstalling it/them?

I don't really see how lubricating part of the shutter mechanism would affect the mirror, but if this was the reason for the mirror sticking, then obviously there's some crossover somewhere. Before I'd try anything else, I'd just let the camera sit a few days. Maybe there was a bit too much lube and letting it sit would also let the excess evaporate some, and it will fix itself. At any rate, I'd try some passive approaches like I suggest before I'd risk tearing into it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed now - in cleaning some of the lubricant off I wiggled something inside the camera and the mirror sprung back, all good now with no squeak! Thanks for your suggestion Smile