Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The new manual lens from Olympus 15mm f8 on the NEX-5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: The new manual lens from Olympus 15mm f8 on the NEX-5 Reply with quote

Yesterday I thought in testing this lens on the NEX-5. The crop factor of 1.5 would turn it into an equivalent of a 22mm wide, whilst the micro4thirds cams would give results like if it were a 30mm on FF.

I used the NEX to m4T adapter. Not sure if it's right, I've got some difficulties to reach infinity with it.

And the quick test I could cook yesterday:

A 100% crop of the above:

Conclusions:

a) Does vignette a little.
b) Needs more light than in the m4T cams.
c) Doesn't reach infinity (might be the adapter?).
d) Better for close targets than for far ones.
e) With so many megapixels, vignetting is not a trouble, cropping is easy Wink

Jes.

Last edited by Jesito on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jes, congrats for your new lens cap, have you a pic from top or side to see how tiny it is

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Hi Jes, congrats for your new lens cap, have you a pic from top or side to see how tiny it is

Thanks, Poilu.

I don't have it here, as soon as I come back home I'll take some pictures of it on the cams.

This one is from the web: (really tiny)

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infinity can't be very far out; is there a focusing ring or is it fixed at infinity? I ask because the adapter may actually put it past infinity, which in my experience is more common with adapters - possibly by design.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

too much vignetting, cropping is not the answer as it makes the lens less wide angle.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Infinity can't be very far out; is there a focusing ring or is it fixed at infinity? I ask because the adapter may actually put it past infinity, which in my experience is more common with adapters - possibly by design.

Hi Woodrim,
Thanks for your comment.
You can see it on the first picture: Then lens has a small lever to adjust focus manually, with two stops: one at infinity and another one at the Hyperfocal. Then you have smooth focusing (without stops) until some 30cm far.
And no, it's not past infinty, the lens doesn't reach infinity. I'm almost sure it's the adapter, on the m4T cams it works properly.

Jes-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
too much vignetting, cropping is not the answer as it makes the lens less wide angle.

<What did you expect from a 65€ plastic lens designed for m4T cams and adapted to the NEX?... Wink

I wouldn't buy it for the NEX, but having it already and having an adapter handy, I had to try it Smile

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderfully wide, and not much less sharp than some I've seen. Worth a punt I'd say.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Here are some shots I got with it... Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool lens, Jes!
But you need not to be distracted too much by lenses, or you will need soon a new kitchen oven Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Here are some shots I got with it... Reply with quote

edwardconde wrote:

Huh, i like this! How it's achieved? You can crop bottom 1/5 perhaps and enhance cinematic view.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Here are some shots I got with it... Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Huh, i like this! How it's achieved? You can crop bottom 1/5 perhaps and enhance cinematic view.

Hint: look at the other photo posted for context and also the converging lines of the pavement kerbs (curbs). Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: The new manual lens from Olympus 15mm f8 on the NEX-5 Reply with quote

Good news! I had much better luck with this on my NEX-3. (For all intents and purposes a NEX-3 is the same as your NEX-5.)
The difference is that I used a different adapter; a Pixco m43 to NEX adapter.

It easily focuses to infinity, but the amazing thing is how very sharp the images are, at all focal lengths. Very much better than when I use my m43 cameras. There is the same amount of vignetting as in your posted samples, which can be cropped.

I also tried this lens with my new NEX-5R, and there was too much vignetting to be worth the while. Same thing with a NEX-7 which I tried it in a store. Undoubtedly the NEX-3/5's smaller 14.1 mp sensor makes the difference.

This is a huge success and I hope the OP sees my post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The new manual lens from Olympus 15mm f8 on the NEX-5 Reply with quote

zakstev wrote:
Good news! I had much better luck with this on my NEX-3. (For all intents and purposes a NEX-3 is the same as your NEX-5.)
The difference is that I used a different adapter; a Pixco m43 to NEX adapter.

It easily focuses to infinity, but the amazing thing is how very sharp the images are, at all focal lengths. Very much better than when I use my m43 cameras. There is the same amount of vignetting as in your posted samples, which can be cropped.

I also tried this lens with my new NEX-5R, and there was too much vignetting to be worth the while. Same thing with a NEX-7 which I tried it in a store. Undoubtedly the NEX-3/5's smaller 14.1 mp sensor makes the difference.

This is a huge success and I hope the OP sees my post.

Hi,
Nice to know the Pixco adapter works better, I would have to adjust mine.
Regarding the sensor size, there should be some other explanation because all the cams of the NEX family share the same sensor size, even if the Mpix number is different: 23.4x15.6mm, with the exception of the NEX-7 that is HD-CMOS and 23.5x15.6mm (one mm wouldn't justify a much bigger vignetting). Could you please post some examples, to try to guess what can explain that vignetting increase?.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Cool lens, Jes!
But you need not to be distracted too much by lenses, or you will need soon a new kitchen oven Wink

That's the way of life when one lives in a small flat, the kitchen uses to be the workbench Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By sensor size of course I meant the number of megapixels. The difference is very important to the way that Sony NEX cameras have operated WRT different manual lenses. The NEX-3 and 5 were 14.1 mp. The 3N, 3F, 5N, 5R, and 6 were 16.1 mp. The 7 was 24mp. Furthermore there were other differences. Extreme pixel density? or other factors on the NEX-7 made it incompatible with many wide and rangefinder lenses; surely that will be corrected soon with new 7N model which is expected. The 5R and 6 models have different sensors due to the inclusion of some AF phase-detection pixels. So all of this means that different models can behave differently with the same lenses.

Now about the unfortunate results the OP has experienced: I took another look at his photo and indeed that appears to be the very same Pixco adapter which I received...but there is a difference of a few months in acquisition. I can strongly suggest that the OP was given a defective example, with a too long or too short registry distance for the lens, resulting. That is not unusual for cheap adapters but Pixco has a name to uphold. So I suggest that they corrected this mistake in production. Obviously I got a good one. I'd post photos if I knew how.
How to contact the OP? I suggest he get his adapter exchanged.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito (moderator):
In answer to your question about the increase in vignetting...There was NO increase in vignetting with my NEX-3 as compared to the OP's original NEX-5 tests. They were the same, because as I explained, the 3 and the 5 are 99% the same camera.

The QUALITY of my results was far better...that was the difference.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zakstev wrote:
Jesito (moderator):
In answer to your question about the increase in vignetting...There was NO increase in vignetting with my NEX-3 as compared to the OP's original NEX-5 tests. They were the same, because as I explained, the 3 and the 5 are 99% the same camera.

The QUALITY of my results was far better...that was the difference.

I know this is an old thread, but you won’t know how much I was searching for information on using the OLY body cap lens on NEX bodies. As per zakstev’s report, I am very excited to know that these lens may work well with the NEX3. I have the 9mm and just placed an order for the 15mm version of the Olympus body cap lens and waiting for it to arrive. I have the NEX6 and a few m43 bodies but zakstev’s feedback about being able to use the 15mm body cap lens on NEX3 with better result than on the Olympus bodies make me curious. And I am puzzled about why these lens will not work well with the newer 16MP and 24MP sensors, when they are actually the same size (Aps-C). For curiosity sake, I just bought a used NEX3 for cheap ($50) and waiting for it to arrive, so that I can test out both the 9mm and the 15mm.

My 9mm works okay with my NEX6 although finding the focus is tricky since my m43-NEX adapter is also too thick and cause focusing at infinity on the lens marking to be inaccurate (even in 2019 they still haven’t come out with proper m43-NEX adapters yet and it seems all versions are too thick because the required thickness is only 2mm and no manufacturer can make the adapter that thin). When using the 9mm on the NEX6, there is some vignetting and I have to increase Clear Zoom to 1.2x to eliminate the vignette. Other than that, setting focus lever to hyper focus mark still cause the lens to focus only 1-2 meters from the lens due to the excess adapter thickness. I have to use focus peaking to make sure my subjects are in focus.

Anyway, I am hoping to replicate the success that zakstev had on my NEX3 which should arrive in 2 days. Actually, the NEX-C3 is also available for cheap, but it has a 16MP sensor and I am not sure if it will work well with he Olympus body cap lens following zakstev’s report, so I choose to buy the NEX3 instead although the NEX-C3 is a newer body with newer features. It makes no sense though that the body lens should give sharp and good images only with the NEX3 since the NEX5 also uses the same sensor, and the other NEX bodies have the same sensor size.

All these just for fun. Can’t wait for the 15mm cap lens and my new old NEX3 to arrive.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my NEX3 yesterday and tested my Oly 9mm on it. It looks about the same as using the same 9mm on my NEX6 - that is some slight vignetting. Unfortunately for the NEX3, there is no Clear Image Zoom function and so I cannot zoom in to get rid of the black corners. My 15mm has not arrived yet, so I cannot comment on that but I hope there will not be any vignetting on both NEX6 and NEX3. To my eyes, NEX3 picture quality from the 9mm is about the same as NEX6, so the observation that the NEX3’s older sensor somehow works better with these body cap lens is not evident for me. But that observation was done with a 15mm, so I am still waiting for the 15mm to confirm this. However, from my limited exposure to the NEX3 and NEX6 with the 9mm lens, I do not expect to see NEX3 do better than NEX6 with the 15mm.

So that is my short report of my findings. To me, there is nothing special about the NEX3 sensor being more suited to the Oly body cap lens than the newer NEX sensors. So, if you can get a newer model model NEX for not much more, so for it. On hindsight, I should have gotten an NEX-C3 which cost about the same for my NEX3 but has the 16MP sensor, but I only got the NEX3 for $50 (body only), so it is not too bad. All these just to satisfy my curiosity. It has been fun!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOC pics from NEX3 with 16-50mm kit lens:

OOC pics from NEX3 with Olympus 9mm body cap lens: