Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD to EF adaptor
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Canon FD to EF adaptor Reply with quote

Hi all, first post. I've just returned to photography after a few years away. I was previously a Minolta/Sony user but I've switch to Canon (mainly because I managed to pick up a 400D for £40). Anyway I've bought a joblot of lenses off eBay which include some FD lenses. I'm wondering is it worth buying a FD to EF adaptor, the one with the correction lens for infinity focus, or does the extra (cheap) glass degrade the image quality too much? I'm not a pixel peeper so a slight degradation wouldn't be the end of the world as long as a decent quality is maintained.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon FD to EF adaptor Reply with quote

jamesyboy wrote:
Hi all, first post. I've just returned to photography after a few years away. I was previously a Minolta/Sony user but I've switch to Canon (mainly because I managed to pick up a 400D for £40). Anyway I've bought a joblot of lenses off eBay which include some FD lenses. I'm wondering is it worth buying a FD to EF adaptor, the one with the correction lens for infinity focus, or does the extra (cheap) glass degrade the image quality too much? I'm not a pixel peeper so a slight degradation wouldn't be the end of the world as long as a decent quality is maintained.

Thanks

Welcome Turtle here!

Please no double posting, one should do just fine... Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, adapting is so much easier with mirrorless cameras I'll never get another DSLR.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Canon FD to EF adaptor Reply with quote

jamesyboy wrote:

Thanks

Short answer is - yes - FD to EF with adapter will see degraded images.
Not the FD lens' fault, but the adapter glass which degrades the image.
FD on mirrorless cameras is another story altogether.
Great results
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Canon FD to EF adaptor Reply with quote

jamesyboy wrote:

Thanks

Welcome jamesyboy

Decent quality being subjective only you can judge. Adapters are inexpensive?

PS However, your definition may change when you get a chance to lensless adapt later.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, food for thought.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As FD lenses are designed to work 2mm closer to the film than EF lenses adapting them is tricky.
There are probably two types of adapter glassless ones for macro work which will not focus to infinity, and ones with corrective optics (basically a short teleconverter) that will allow infinity focus but potentially degrade the image drastically.
FWIW most other SLR lenses can be adapted to EF cameras without needing an optical element - M42 is popular, but I do OM, PK, & Nikon as well all via EF. (I don't have an EF camera, just a few special type mirrorless to EF adapters that I make the most off, it's purely an intermediate mount for me).