Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hugo-Meyer 20mm (3/4 inch) f1.5 Kino-Plasmat C mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Hugo-Meyer 20mm (3/4 inch) f1.5 Kino-Plasmat C mount Reply with quote

Hello all. I would appreciate some expert help. I am a street shooter, a documentary photographer, and I do like to use Cine lenses. I now use Cooke, Dallmeyer, Schneider in the 25mm and a Meopta in 20mm.

I need information on the Hugo-Meyer 20mm f1.5 Kino-Plasmat. I recognize that this is, and HM lenses are generally, desirable lenses. But why?

Often, one can only know a lens by trying it out, this I admit. But when I was directed to my Cooke Kinic 1.5 25mm and the Dallmeyer Anastigmat 1.5 25mm, those who did so clearly explained what was attractive about its rendering.

I would be very thankful if you would offer some words about Hugo Meyer lenses generally, and about this 20mm specifically.

I like the 20mm on my four thirds format camera.

If you have any images, please do post them!

I include here a shot of mine to indicate the sort of shooting I do. (Cooke Kinic 1.5 25mm)

Sincere regards,

Lyle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hugo Meyer Kino Plasmats were, I believe, developed in the 1920s by Dr. Rudolph, and were the fastest lenses available at the time at f1.5. They have pretty unique bokeh characteristics. I have the 25mm and a 15mm. The 15 has a very limited image circle, and so I don't use it much. I believe it would cover MFT. The 25mm has surprising coverage, filling the APS-C frame at close focusing distances. It does swirl, but not as drastically as the Cooke Kinic (and with a much larger image frame). In addition the swirly part does not degenerate into mush as it does with the Cooke. I really love this lens and will post samples below. I imagine the 20mm would have a more limited image circle. These are with the 25mm.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I imagine the 20mm would have a more limited image circle. These are with the 25mm.

Hello there. Sorry not to have responded sooner. I never got a notification that there had been a response. I wanted to quickly mention -- I imagine this will interest you -- that the HM 20mm lens has become, for the time being, my favorite lens.

One thing about it is that it hardly vignettes at all, even when shooting 4:3 And as you say it tends to distort in the outer areas but very differently -- less outrageously I would say -- than the Cooke Kinic. I generally shoot 1:1 but have done a good deal or testing at 4:3 (On my late model Olympus 4/3 body).

I have a HM 25mm 1.5 and it too is a lovely lens, but for the sort of work I do -- street stuff almost exclusively -- I really like using a 20mm lens. I bought my HM 20mm at somewhat of a discount and sent it in for CLA not knowing what to expect. But I am very glad I did.

I noticed your images on other threads. I think I responded to one asking some questions. To what degree do you tweak the image to arrive at those particular bokeh qualities? Myself, I only use LightRoom and my knowledge of manipulating digital images is limited. In fact, getting involved in digital is really quite new as I had always worked in film and only in B&W.

Here is one shot 4:3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't actually do that much tweaking. I do slight sharpening and microcontrast adjustments using Topaz filters in Photoshop. The main thing I do is to look for images that accentuate the inherent bokeh qualities of the lenses. That usually means close up wide open. I don't personally like using vintage lenses for general street photography, because I am not a fan of blurry corners and heavy vignetting. For most of my "normal" shooting I use modern lenses.

That being said, I do have some very nice C-mount lenses. Here are two from a Zoomar Zoomatar 75mm f1.3, then two from an Elgeet Cine Navitar 50mm f1.5, followed by two from a Dallmeyer Super Six 25mm f1.9, followed by two from a Ross 1 inch f1.9

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious about the Dallmeyer Super Six 25mm f1.9. Have you used the Dallmeyer Speed Anstigmat? I have it and like it, but I find that it is a soft and 'dream' sort of lens. In my style of shooting (which is street shooting mostly) I find that it doesn't work so well in strongly lighted situation. If any light enters the lens directly the image gets immediately blown out.

Is the 1.9 different, do you think? How would you describe its quality and rendering?

I like the rendering of the Ross. But am uncertain if it is more a question of the browns in the subject.

I will have to look into the Topaz Filters. I have been intending to learn Photoshop but it is a daunting project . . .

These are more shots with the 20mm Hugo Meyer. I am rather addicted to it. That and a Ricoh GR with the 21mm modifier . . . (the last shot I included here).

PS: the salsa poster shot was with a SOM 20mm and shows ‘normal’ vignette...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="LyleBright"]Curious about the Dallmeyer Super Six 25mm f1.9. Have you used the Dallmeyer Speed Anstigmat? I have it and like it, but I find that it is a soft and 'dream' sort of lens. In my style of shooting (which is street shooting mostly) I find that it doesn't work so well in strongly lighted situation. If any light enters the lens directly the image gets immediately blown out.

Is the 1.9 different, do you think? How would you describe its quality and rendering?

I like the rendering of the Ross. But am uncertain if it is more a question of the browns in the subject.

I will have to look into the Topaz Filters. I have been intending to learn Photoshop but it is a daunting project . . .

These are more shots with the 20mm Hugo Meyer. I am rather addicted to it. That and a Ricoh GR with the 21mm modifier . . . (the last shot I included here).

PS: the salsa poster shot was with a SOM 20mm and shows ‘normal’ vignette...

I like your images. The Dallmeyer Speed is a totally different lens than the Super Six. The SS is sharp corner to corner and just covers APS-C when focused close. You would not have much vignetting on a smaller sensor. The lens has quite characteristic bokeh. Here are a few other shots, all APS-C.

You should be aware that Super Sixes are also prone to flare, especially the uncoated ones, but even the coated ones are weak in that way.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also consider the Wollensak 1 inch (25mm) f1.5 Cine Velostigmat--in many ways similar to the Super Six but much cheaper. It too, though, has problems against the light.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like the images.

So then, you have used these Cine lenses for street-type shooting of people. I admit they are hard to focus quickly. What I do is stop to about f2.8 and set focus at about 15' and don't worry about it. I like the out of focus look.

My wife especially liked your photo of the portrait-taker. Classic. I always make it a point to grab those shots of people taking photographs of themselves.

As you can see I am not so much interested in precision in terms of accurate sharp focus, though I certainly once was. And I am trying to find ways to shoot looser and even a bit more *sloppy* than I always seem to. I also often shoot from chest level.

What does the Super Six cost? Never had heard of it. If you have more people shots with the Cine lenses I would certainly enjoy seeing them . . .

Here are a few shots from today: Cali, Colombia.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all people exactly, but...

Elgeet Cine Navitar 75mm f1.9

Cooke Kinic 25mm f1.5

Dallmeyer Super Six 25mm f1.9

Hugo Meyer Kino Plasmat 25mm f1.5

Ross 1 inch f1.9 cine

Dallmeyer Kinematograph #9 (150mm f4.5)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very unique shots Toby!! Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

@Lyle: The SuperSix Lenses have gotten the attention of Asian photographers since a while and their prices are through the roof, due to their unique bokeh.

Have you tried the TTH Ivotal lens(es), here the TTH Cooke Ivotal f1.4 25mm (1"), they have quite some unique bokeh: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157625865522053

and the TTH Cooke Kinic f1.5/1" (25mm) https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157625383702448

and then there is the Cine Voigtlander f2.5/35mm https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157627851997021

and the Meyer Kinoplasmat 15mm

and the Goerz Cine Hypar f3 1 5/8" (41mm) https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157627851705333

and the Carl Meyer Cine Videostigmat f1.0/38mm https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157625031587288

and the Steinheil Quinon f1.5/25mm https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157625264612205

All are c-mount lenses btw.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cats are people too . . . And statues have a sort of lively presence . . .