Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon z6 and z7 anyone
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Nikon z6 and z7 anyone Reply with quote

Has anyone tried these cameras with rangefinder lenses adapted?
(Curios about some results)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know whether you've seen this: https://kenrockwell.com/nikon/mirrorless/with-adapted-rangefinder-lenses.htm

However, he doesn't show pictures to proove what he's stating and KR was always very Nikon-minded.

I don't believe that the Nikon Z7 is able to perform any better than the A7R II or III as they share more or less the same Sony BSI-CMOS sensor.

BTW, I'm quite happy with the A7R II performance with my RF wide angles. No color cast at all, not even with the CV 12/5.6 or 15/4.5 in LTM (first gen.).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I tested my russar 20mm with A7R III which is my most challenging lens, and it performed alot better than with first gen A7 series. Still some smearing in the corners though, but the colour cast was as good as gone...

Just wondered if the Z series cameras had a newer version sensor that performs even better. I have alot of rangerfnder lenses and many symmetrical wide angles Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Yeah, I tested my russar 20mm with A7R III which is my most challenging lens, and it performed alot better than with first gen A7 series. Still some smearing in the corners though, but the colour cast was as good as gone...

Just wondered if the Z series cameras had a newer version sensor that performs even better. I have alot of rangerfnder lenses and many symmetrical wide angles Wink

I don't think that this last problem of a little bit of smearing with very few wide angle lenses in the very far edges (which is IMHO not really disturbing) is curable without major redesign of the sensor like Ricoh has done with the GXR-M.
Unlike Ricoh none of the camera producers like Nikon, Canon or Sony have any interest that their customers are using any other 3rd party lenses as they want to sell their own ones. Therefore there is no motivation to do anything about this issue.
I have as well quite many RF lenses and love to use them nevertheless on my A7R II, particularly with the Techart PRO AF adapter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's specifically for RF-lenses, why not consider e.g. an M240? Current used price is way below the price of a Z7.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
If it's specifically for RF-lenses, why not consider e.g. an M240? Current used price is way below the price of a Z7.

Lenses, such as the Voigtlaender ultra wides 12/5.6 and 15/4.5 particularly in the LTM (1st gen.) version are well known trouble makers even on the M240.
I've seen example pictures on l-camera-forum.com which definitely show magenta cast and likewise errors; i.e. these lenses perform even worse on the M240 than on the A7R II and III.
There are also recommendations to experiment with software like "Cornerfix" or alike.

Believe me, I've investigated really in depth before I made my decision against Leica and in favor of the A7R II as I own all these lenses already since several years. Wink

Look at this test picture from the CV 12/5.6 LTM shot with my A7R II without cumbersome post processing manipulations (only the existing lens profile in Lightroom has been applied); it's clickable for best quality viewing.
No color cast and no edge smearing at all!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait for the new L mount FF. Should works well with the RF lenses too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Wait for the new L mount FF. Should works well with the RF lenses too.

Why do you think? IMHO that's purely sensor and not at all mount related. Is there already some information about possibly new L-mount sensors available?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:

Lenses, such as the Voigtlaender ultra wides 12/5.6 and 15/4.5 particularly in the LTM (1st gen.) version are well known trouble makers even on the M240.
A yes, I didn't realize it was specifically about ultra-wides. The SL seems to do well, based on what I've seen from some people. But the SL has neither a size, nor a price, advantage over the Z6/7, although it has a higher res. EVF and is built like a tank.

I think it does make sens to wait for the new camera's Panasonic and Sigma will release. Myself, I'm actually waiting for details of the new Sigma. The SA-mount is what has been holding me back from a Quattro. Even if the L-mount does not deliver in this respect, it might put pressure on prices of FF Mirrorless in general.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
I think it does make sens to wait for the new camera's Panasonic and Sigma will release.

Well, not for me. Problem solved already. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for valuable information guys. I see L-mount release 10am Vegas time today. I'm happy to see that they have put the viewfinder of the S1 off center to make space for the nose. I'm tired of smearing my nose into the screen always Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
I'm happy to see that they have put the viewfinder of the S1 off center to make space for the nose. I'm tired of smearing my nose into the screen always

Interesting, with my A7R II I don't have this problem when I look into the finder with my right eye. But I know very well what you mean as I have exactly this problem with my Ricoh GXR-M. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As all new FF sensor mirrorless cameras are out now it's more than likely that only the newer Sony and both Nikon Z models which share all the new SONY BSI CMOS sensors will perform best with RF lenses.
The new Canon and Panasonic models are equipped with normal old design CMOS sensors like the old Sony A7 models and will most probably all suffer from sensor stack issues.

From this drawing of the Sony BSI technology the reason for that is obvious:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks indeed to be a better patent yes Smile