Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MC W Rokkor SG 28mm f3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Minolta MC W Rokkor SG 28mm f3.5 Reply with quote

So much for not buying any more lenses for awhile. Smile This is the 1969 MC II version, 7/7 design,0.6MFD, and the weight is 245 grams. I've been chasing this lens for quite some time. You see alot of BIN sales but not that many auction sales. Not rare, but hard to get a good price on one.

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an excellent price! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Smile I will post test results as soon as I get it, weather permitting of course.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Walter, what a beauty, and what a bargain! It looks in fantastic condition, better than mine - some of the black on the focus grip is wearing on mine. Otherwise it looks identical - s/n is 1570834

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I'm seeking for one too, I have a competitor waiting (Konica 28/3.5) Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Wow Walter, what a beauty, and what a bargain! It looks in fantastic condition, better than mine - some of the black on the focus grip is wearing on mine. Otherwise it looks identical - s/n is 1570834

Thanks, Peter. How do you like yours?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivan Lee wrote:
Nice! I'm seeking for one too, I have a competitor waiting (Konica 28/3.5) Laughing

Thanks. Smile I wouldn't mind seeing a shootout between those 2 lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see that shootout too, maybe add an S-M-C 28/3.5 or other.
Great price.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulatios Walter, yours looks still better then mine (SN 1571024, near to yours Peter). I paid more some 40 years ago, don't remember me how much, after being disappointed about a new bought Chinon 28mm 2.8 (mechanical problems and crazy "service" within guarantee).
The IQ is good, but for people pictures indoors the lesser clear viewfinder was not easy. So later I purchased an additional Kiron 28mm 2.0 when I saw one local for a nice prize. But the Rokkor still stands!

Last edited by Minolfan on Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
peterqd wrote:

TBH, I haven't put it through its paces properly to make any opinion yet. (Bring on a NEX Smile) The test pics I took on film had nice rich colours and were pretty sharp although not exceptional. I also have a short series of pics which might have been taken with it, which have fairly bad barrel distortion (perhaps the most important aspect for me), and also some flare spots, so I'm not sure about it yet. It could have been a different lens.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Congraulatios Walter, yours looks still better then mine (SN 1571024, near to yours Peter). I paid more some 40 years ago, don't remember me how much, after being disappointed about a new bought Chinon 28mm 2.8 (mechanical problems and crazy "service" within guarantee).
The IQ is good, but for people pictures indoors the lesser clear viewfinder was not easy. So later I purchased an additional Kiron 28mm 2.0 when I saw one local for a nice prize. But the Rokkor still stands!

Thank You. I can't wait to test mine. By the way the Kiron 28 2.0 is on my to buy list. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
walter g wrote:
peterqd wrote:

TBH, I haven't put it through its paces properly to make any opinion yet. (Bring on a NEX Smile) The test pics I took on film had nice rich colours and were pretty sharp although not exceptional. I also have a short series of pics which might have been taken with it, which have fairly bad barrel distortion (perhaps the most important aspect for me), and also some flare spots, so I'm not sure about it yet. It could have been a different lens.

Thank You. Yea, I really want a Nex also. Maybe January if the month goes good. Smile With a macro adapter on my 10D I won't get much distance to do a test. So I won't be able to test for barrel distortion, but atleast I can test for sharpness and Bokeh. Smile

I got it today.It's every bit as nice as the pictures, and they even sent a free correct mint condition hood. With the severe cold I have, testing will have to be put off for several days. Sad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You stole that one Walter. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody interested in buying the later version?
I probably sell mine...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Anybody interested in buying the later version?
I probably sell mine...

Ha! I would have jumped at this but I've already bought one! Wink

Actually Carsten, I've bought two, in addition to the older MC version like Walter's - the last MC version (55mm filter, which I think is virtually the same as your MD version), and the last MD version, with 49mm filter and aperture ring lock. If you were thinking of exchanging yours for the 49mm version I can tell you that although the filter ring is smaller, the overall diameter and the weight are virtually the same. Quite a hefty lens.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
If you were thinking of exchanging yours for the 49mm version I can tell you that although the filter ring is smaller, the overall diameter and the weight are virtually the same. Quite a hefty lens.

No, Peter, I was not thinking about replacing one with the other, I rather have too many 28mm again and this Rokkor is one of the slowest lenses (f/3.5) and does not offer me anyting that my faster lenses (particularly the Pentax 2.8/28 or the Tamron 2.5/2Cool would not offer.
But I'm not in a hurry. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
peterqd wrote:
If you were thinking of exchanging yours for the 49mm version I can tell you that although the filter ring is smaller, the overall diameter and the weight are virtually the same. Quite a hefty lens.

No, Peter, I was not thinking about replacing one with the other, I rather have too many 28mm again and this Rokkor is one of the slowest lenses (f/3.5) and does not offer me anyting that my faster lenses (particularly the Pentax 2.8/28 or the Tamron 2.5/2Cool would not offer.
But I'm not in a hurry. Wink

Ah, that's OK then! Smile As you were disappointed your MC was so large I just thought I'd warn you.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got one of these in a buy, didn't realized it was the 1st edition version....

got this one and a vivitar 19 3.5 M42 mount for 50 bucks... and an oily maxxum 50 1.8, so it's not too bad, only bad thing is the oily maxxum that I did not spot when I bought it Sad.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clockwork247 wrote:
i got one of these in a buy, didn't realized it was the 1st edition version....

got this one and a vivitar 19 3.5 M42 mount for 50 bucks... and an oily maxxum 50 1.8, so it's not too bad, only bad thing is the oily maxxum that I did not spot when I bought it Sad.

Good buy. Smile The Vivitar 19MM is on my to buy list, but I've been to busy buying more Minolta lenses to hunt for one. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you us Google Chrome there's a thing called 'TinEye'. I've just downloaded it and will see how it works.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you post to the correct thread?
You can also go to Tineye.com, and Google has a similar function in the image search, just click the camera icon in the web page search box.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Brand new' review of MC II 28/3.5
As a result: a well-working lens for wide-angle without strong weaknesses for a very reasonable price (very rare case for today Smile ):

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Like Dog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two of them (both MC-X versions but slightly different from each other) and I found them average in terms of IQ, at best. The later MD-II (49mm filter) version is much better though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exemplary and thorough reviewing tf, great work. (the minolta not a patch on my smc 28 3.5...)