Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Optik Primotar 180mm f3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:10 am    Post subject: Meyer Optik Primotar 180mm f3.5 Reply with quote

Playing with a new toy I picked up the other day, a Meyer Optik Gorlitz Primotar 180mm f3.5. A few test shots on my 5diii from some local tea room gardens on my way home from collecting it.
Hoping to get out with it for more of a session over the weekend if weather permits.

All except the last shot are unedited beyond some cropping
1.@f3.5

2.@f3.5

3.@f8

4.@f3.5

5. @f3.5 On a 36mm ext tube to reduce the MFD. In a table top studio, PP in photoshop

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't appear to be a contrast champ, but nice rendering and sharpness, and seems to be capable of producing some nice images if you know how to work with its limitations.
I find the final photo in the series particularly nice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice results you got! Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
nice results you got! Like 1 small Like 1 small

+1, very good Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
Doesn't appear to be a contrast champ, but nice rendering and sharpness, and seems to be capable of producing some nice images if you know how to work with its limitations.
I find the final photo in the series particularly nice.

Thanks Brian, the first shot had the least contrast of the wide open shots and I'm not sure what I did differently as the others seem dramatically different. I mainly only bought it as a curiosity and because I like how my other Meyer glass renders images, this one seems to be similar in quality both IQ and build to the 200/4 and 300/4.

kds315* wrote:
nice results you got!

Nordentro wrote:
+1, very good Smile

Many thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Primotar 3.5/180 in fact has a rather low contrast, a smooth bokeh and surprisingly little CAs. I used to have a sample back in 2010, but sold it later on since I preferred the CZJ Sonnar 2.8/180mm as a vintage "200mm" lens. Resolution was OK, but not outstanding - it^s basically an inversed Tessar type "normal" lens and as such not a real "tele" lens.

S

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet shots!

Lowish contrast can be good when working with the curve tool when editing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens as well. It's nice but big and heavy.