Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens hood for CZJ Triotar 135mm f/4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiftyonepointsix wrote:
If I were to ever sell it- would price my converted Sonnar 13.5cm F4 at $300, figuring materials and time.

Sjak wrote:
Sounds like a fair price, about what I paid for this Triotar.

tb_a wrote:
I am shocked. 300.- for a Triotar converted to M39?
250. If the glass would have been nice, I would have been OK with it. I know the SLR-versions are readily available, but this is not the regular in EXa or similar mount, and it's RF-coupled (and extremely precise at that) Whether it's made by the factory, or later, is unknown, but mechanically it is in superb condition, it lives up to the (real) Zeiss-name.

It's bought from a reputable seller with a no-hassle return policy. That also slightly inflates prices. But regardless, for this money, it had to be optically good too, so it's going back Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a different note, I noticed the Elmarit-M 135 is also not that expensive. I really like Mandler's designs, so cant go wrong on one of those. But these lack the wilder character of more ancient 13.5s Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tele-Elmarit 135/2.8 is a "Beast"- but a FUN beast. I picked up one in a trade, it is quite accurate on my M9.

There are many inexpensive and fun 135's in the F3.5 and F4 range. The Nikkor 13.5cm F3.5 and late version Canon 135/3.5 in my opinion are the best. With the Canon: be careful of etched glass. These lenses come apart easily for cleaning all surfaces. The Canon takes 48mm filters. These are Sonnar formula lenses. Clean, near mint examples, are in the $100 range. The late black Nikkor is much lighter than the early ones.

For $250- I would have returned the lens as well. For $150, I would have replaced the glass in it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
On a different note, I noticed the Elmarit-M 135 is also not that expensive. I really like Mandler's designs, so cant go wrong on one of those. But these lack the wilder character of more ancient 13.5s Wink

Well, compared to the Elmar the Elmarit is almost double in weight and much bigger as well. I have 10 other 135mm lenses with "character" already and another one is on the way.
However, for really tack sharp and failure free pictures with smooth bokeh the Elmar is at least for my taste unbeatable already at F4. It's also the most versatile lens due to the detachable lens head.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
I did have this lens once and I used a rubber neoprene beer cooler as a hood.
Carried it in my bag and fitted as needed.
Folds up small and also keeps beer cool Smile
Can sit around the lens for protection while being carried too.
Tom

Sounds like a excellent idea, except for cooling the beer - that reduces the flavor, perhaps a good idea with lager, but not with a decent beer!
Friends

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Well, compared to the Elmar the Elmarit is almost double in weight and much bigger as well. I have 10 other 135mm lenses with "character" already and another one is on the way.
However, for really tack sharp and failure free pictures with smooth bokeh the Elmar is at least for my taste unbeatable already at F4. It's also the most versatile lens due to the detachable lens head.
Luckily, there's no rush... but the Elmar is certainly also on my radar Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the vintage 135's have detachable lens heads. Nikon even made a focus mount to adapt the Rangefinder 13.5cm F3.5 to the F-Mount. Some preferred more aperture blades of the RF version for smoother Bokeh even 60 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiftyonepointsix wrote:
Most of the vintage 135's have detachable lens heads. Nikon even made a focus mount to adapt the Rangefinder 13.5cm F3.5 to the F-Mount. Some preferred more aperture blades of the RF version for smoother Bokeh even 60 years ago.
That's interesting. I didn't know that. I've got a very old Nikon Nikkor Q.C. 13.5cm/F3.5 M39 lens and you are right, the lens head is detachable as well. However, I think it's not really easy to find the right adapters today. For the Leitz lens (designed for the Visoflex system) this isn't any problem, at least in my part of the world. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
I got a 40.5 to 49mm adapter ring for my Jupiter 11, so I can use it with my takumar hoods.

This is what I do as well just because I like my Takumar hoods, and I've got several of them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a step-up ring and larger diameter hood with a long lens on a Telephoto should be fine with a Leica. On many film cameras it will block the RF windows. I run into that with the Canon P.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
Seller immediately sent me a UPS-return-label for the lens.

As fiftyonepointsix ponted out, for a lower price it would have been a nice project lens.
Meanwhile I've seen a lot of alluring images on the net, made with this lens designt. So I'll still hunt for another copy. Maybe the 85mm in SLR-mount, which I can use on my Fuji Smile (135mm on APSC is usually too tight for me)