Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZJ Tessar Versions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: CZJ Tessar Versions Reply with quote

Hello, folks!

I am thinking in buying a 50mm f/2.8 Tessar. From your experiences guys, what version should I hunt?
Are there any significant differences between the produced models (Silver, Zebra, Black... )?

Many thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: CZJ Tessar Versions Reply with quote

andrawes wrote:
Hello, folks!

I am thinking in buying a 50mm f/2.8 Tessar. From your experiences guys, what version should I hunt?
Are there any significant differences between the produced models (Silver, Zebra, Black... )?

Many thanks in advance!

Optically the Zeiss Jena Tessars were pretty much the same, and the externals won't make any difference to your images. Things to consider will be type of mount, and particularly for CZJ lenses from this era the condition of the helicoid. The lubricating grease that they used hasn't stood the test of time well and in a lot of these lenses has hardened. Try to confirm the condition from the seller before you spend your money. Beware dishonest sellers who put a drop or two of lighter fluid into the helicoid to temporarily soften the grease before they mail it to you.

One thing to consider is that many people (including myself) believe that Zeiss stretched the speed of the Tessar design too far when they went to 2.8, and that the 3.5 is optically a better performer. Just something to keep in mind as you make your decision.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, in a large thread about lenses that can make soap bubble bokeh an older version that had silver finish and many aperture blades could do that at 2.8.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tessars made after 1960 used new glass, and are optically superior to the older versions. Early versions have more aperture blades, smoother Bokeh. conservation of inconvenience. I an have early Contax mount Tessar (~1933), the F2.8 version is as good as the F3.5 when it is stopped down.

This Chrome-Face 5cm F2.8 Tessar has a SN from ~1938, the front element was destroyed. I replaced it with one from a 1950s Contaflex.

Tessar 5cm F2.8, Contax RF mount by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

SO- the design of the lens did not change, but the front element is coated.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read that the better Tessar 50 is the one for Icarex mount.

Another good os the contar srl 45 mm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With respect to the early 5cm F2.8 Tessar being "stretched too far", my oldest 5m F2.8 Tessar is on a Certo Dolina, but has a SN placing it in a block made for Movie Cameras. Remember that 35mm movie cameras are 18x24. The image circle covers 24x36, and I've taken apart the Certo Dolina lens and the early black face 5cm F2.8 Tessar in Contax mount to confirm the elements are identical. I've read that the Chrome nosed version was reformulated.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also mine chrome m42 Tessar 50/2.8 has some swirl bokeh in the right angles.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
I have read that the better Tessar 50 is the one for Icarex mount.

Another good os the contar srl 45 mm

Ahh... but that would not be CZJ though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a Japanese blog the tested the CZJ Tessar against the Icarex Tessar, and by all appearances, the CZJ version was sharper and more contrasty.

My personal experience is that the newest one you can find will be the best, and I've various versions from the early 1950s, through to the 1980s.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
There was a Japanese blog the tested the CZJ Tessar against the Icarex Tessar, and by all appearances, the CZJ version was sharper and more contrasty.

My personal experience is that the newest one you can find will be the best, and I've various versions from the early 1950s, through to the 1980s.

Testing current, brand new products might be affected by individual sample variations which might skew the results, testing old products would definitely run into the issue, where the prior career of each example in the hands of their original owners would definitely affect the results. Tests do have their values, and I certainly value my CZJ lenses (many from the 19th century), but they have to be taken in context.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a variety of Tessar-type lenses from various manufacturers, and in every case they don't live up to the standard set by the black-barrel CZJ versions. I would not hesitate to believe that it is impossible to find a better Tessar-type 50mm from any other manufacturer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option would be the Soviet Industar lenses that are copies of the original Zeiss Tessar design. Industar 22, Industar 26m and Industar 50. My preference is for the 50 but they all have redeeming qualities.

HOWEVER, if you want to see the best adaptation of the Tessar design, again in my opinion, I would go for the Contax/Yashica (CY) 45mm pancake Tessar.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:
Another option would be the Soviet Industar lenses that are copies of the original Zeiss Tessar design. Industar 22, Industar 26m and Industar 50. My preference is for the 50 but they all have redeeming qualities.

HOWEVER, if you want to see the best adaptation of the Tessar design, again in my opinion, I would go for the Contax/Yashica (CY) 45mm pancake Tessar.

Leitz Elmar and Voigtlaender Skopar are Tessar designs as well. Most probably they belong to the best ones in that class.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: CZJ Tessar Versions Reply with quote

andrawes wrote:
Hello, folks!

Many thanks in advance!

Why to go for a Tessar when nearly every six lens 1.8/50mm or 2/50mm is better (apart from 1950 SLR lenses like the Biotar 2/58mm which is a bit ... peculiar (expecially wide open)?

Go for a Nikon 2/50mm or a Minolta MD-III (!) 2/50mm; they both are really excellent performers.

Stephan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because maybe some people also collect lenses (or lens characters).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tessars have some advantages over double-gauss designs. Often small, lighter, (the CZJ lenses are very light so long as they're not the Automatic Exakta mount). If we're talking vintage lenses, Tessar types were often better corrected for CA, coma, etc. than faster lenses, even if the less well designed ones suffer from field curvature and some distortion. They're very good lenses for close up and macro work, and indeed many dedicated macro lenses have been Tessar types, formulated at slower speeds for even better correction of aberrations.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually my very last CZJ post-war lens is the small Tessar 50mm/F2.8 with the red T from 1949 in Exakta mount. All others already found their way to the waste pin due to the well known troubles (stiff focus & stuck aperture blades). The focus is still working but already rather tough. Aperture blades luckily not yet stuck. Maybe somebody already serviced the lens before. I don't know.

Out of curiosity I've tested it today on my A7R II and can say that it's able to deliver extremely sharp and contrasty pictures but unfortunately not really across the full frame on a 24x36mm sensor, not even stopped down to F8. The extreme corners still appear slightly unsharp and soft. For crop sensor cameras (APS-C and MFT) this problem doesn't exist. I didn't notice any CA's, not even wide open; i.e. the lens is very well corrected.

However, for a lens which is still available on flea markets in my country for something like EUR 5,- to 10.- it's stunningly good; i.e. most probably the best you can get as long as you are not looking for a landscape lens on a FF camera.