Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vintage zooms vs newer zooms
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got a Pentax-A 70-210 1:4 I haven't shot a lot with it so far but from what I have seen it is at least as good as my Vivitar Series 1 70-210 3.5 probably better.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO the early zooms were better if covering a range less than 2.1X, this maximum probably was blown away By the first Series 1s from Vivitar. But the 24-48 and others were still X2, and breaks the stop down mecanism too often.

An exception is telephoto zooms 100+MM outward as telphoto design is a little more straightforward.

IMHO below 100mm the designs of primes over any range seem to vary so much, that it is difficult to see anything good in early zooms.

Computer power then arrived and AF.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
it was designed as a carry around utility lens, and it does well at that.

That's exactly how I would use it. I've added it to my "keeping an eye out for a good deal" list. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in film days I had a 75-150 Oly for my OM1> I really liked the ability to zoom in or out for compositional framing. I still use that effect with the 70-400 Sony G.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pick on vintage zooms:
Minolta MD 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5, good to excellent on FF, but a bit awkward to use (you need a third hand to be comfy with 3point zooms), absolutely perfect on crop sensor. Note - in counter-light it sometimes ghosts with a complicated looking orange blob.

Canon nFD 75-150 f/4.5, excellent on FF. My most used vintage lens of 2018. Sharp picture with vivid colors throughout the whole range, build quality is better than typical nFD. Only thing - when totally zoomed out, focused close and hood extended the lens becomes really long, similar in length to my nFD 300 f/5.6 !

It seems like the old 75-150's from main manufacturers are all nice)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
KEO wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Like all lenses, the Zoom-Nikkor 43-86 needs to be learned.
It is not a complete dud and I can't understand why that keeps getting repeated.

blotafton wrote:
Here is my test of that lens, it's definitely not a dud.

I mentioned it specifically because I was skeptical of the negativity, mainly because of the kind of criticisms I've seen. Soft? Prone to flare? I don't care about that at all, even if it is true.

I'm glad to see you fellows disagree with the reputation. I think I'll pick one up and try it. They seem to be quite inexpensive.

Yes, the internet is often responsible for repetition of erroneous statements taken out of context.
The Nikkor has suffered from these and that is reflected in the price.

Heh. The 43-86's weak reputation predates the Internet by years -- that I know of, at least. When I was still somewhat new at the Camera Dealer game -- this was back probably in about 1990 or so -- I can recall one camera show I was at, overhearing one wag making a joke to another about this lens that went something like this: The 43-86 actually makes for a great portrait lens because it's so soft. (know-it-all chuckling ensues)

Well, what did I know? At that time I had never owned a 43-86, either personally or to resell, and I decided at that point that I would try to avoid it. I'll admit that my prejudice toward this lens has remained -- until I just now looked at the above photos. I wonder if this reputation came about when/if folks, in relatively modern times, tried to use old and worn-out early pre-AI examples? I'm thinking that if it was popular, then there would probably be a fair number of worn-out pre-AI examples showing up on the used market during the -- lets say the 1980s.

You guys with your 90-230s have had better luck with yours than I have with mine. I still have it and haven't been willing to put up with the hassle of listing a $10 obo lens on eBay where the shipping will cost more than the lens does. No, I'll just keep it on the shelf where it can peacefully collect dust.