Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya M645
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Mamiya M645 Reply with quote

As if I am not already overloading my brain with information about photography and cameras, I had to go and get a medium format kit.

A pair of M645 bodies, eye level prism, 4 lenses (2.8/45, 2.8/55, 2.8/80 & 4/150), Komura Telemore, pistol grip, 2-120 inserts, 1-220 insert, a butt load of 58mm and 77mm filters and a REALLY nice Zero Halliburton hard case. Kit seems to have everything except film and owners manuals. It is going to be some time until I get around to shooting with this outfit, I need to work on m skills just a wee bit more.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of swweeett outfits ya got there, Mike! (Are you opening a camera
store somewhere?) I've seen some VERY marvey pics taken with the 645...

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Michael!

These are wonderful cameras, you got the ful set!.
They look really nice, seem to be in very good shape.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill - My room is starting to look like a store and I have actually been taking cameras and lenses apart, to clean and attempt to repair (nothing to expensive though). It got bad enough that I started listing a few things on eBay, nothing special yet.

Jes - I have no idea how to use it (yet)! Glass on all the lenses looks good and some of the barrels show considerable wear, which I think in this case is a good thing. I have been online reading the manuals and it does not seem to hard. Just wish I had someone around my way that used one, so they could show me (in person) how to load the inserts. I think I got it, but I am the type of person who learns quicker by watching it being done than I do by reading about it. I Guess I should buy some cheap 120 and give it a shot. I must say that the case this kit came in is better than any briefcase I have ever owned and there is probably $200 worth of filters that came with this kit.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike you are my hero! This is a beautiful kit and you rescued it. Smile As I'm sure you have found with your other gear. Once you have fine equipment like this in the cabinet , it is difficult to let it sit. Congrats on your new adventure!

2.8/45 for medium format Shocked are you kidding me? WOW!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
2.8/45 for medium format Shocked are you kidding me? WOW!

That is the lens that shows the most wear. The previous owner(s) must have really liked it Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, that is a complete set!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look nice Mike. I have seen Mamiya pictures that would knock your socks off. My cousin used to use Mamiya and loved them. He still talks about them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice setup, Mike. A complete kit there by the look of it. I'm not jealous.... oh no.
Mr. Green Mr. Green
Anyway, the film insert is a piece of pi^^e to load. I'd never done one before and just followed the manual - it took 60 seconds being ultra careful. I've no doubt familiarity would bring that down to 10. I like the overall feel of the M645 and the film loading was something Mamiya must have paid attention to - it's really foolproof.
Best of luck with it - go on, tell us you got it for a steal. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be foolproof, but it might not be Mike proof!

Don't know if it was a steal or not. Got it for the opening bid of $500, no other bidders (that always scares me)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thief Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maddog10 wrote:

Don't know if it was a steal or not. Got it for the opening bid of $500, no other bidders (that always scares me)

Hmm.... 4 lenses, two bodies, a metering prism.. +TC, enough filters to filter the world and a case. For 500?
Where do you hide your burglar tools? Smile

PS, High opening bids always put people off - even if it's worth way more.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
PS, High opening bids always put people off - even if it's worth way more.

That is what I hoped! When I did a little research, I saw that bodies with 1 lens were going about $250. Seems the seller was a bit upset that he only got 1 bid, I paid right at the end of the auction, but did not receive a single email from the seller and he did not respond to 2 that I sent him. After about 6 days, I was getting worried and then the box showed up Cool

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maddog10 wrote:

It was a good price. There are a lot of older Mamiyas on the market and most of the slightly newer ones aren't that much more expensive.

I paid 1200 for a refurbished Mamiya 645AFD when they were pretty new.

The lenses are simply killer. You might consider a 45mm or a 35mm lens. WA's are wonderful on MF.

Cheers

Jules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT idea on the "one high bid" thing! It worked well for you, and you got a VERY nice price, from what I can see of past history for kits like this.

It looks like you are HOOKED on camera equipment though, and I don't think the medical field has come up with a cure for this kind of problem... Laughing

Congratulations!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I have been rearranging the room all day, trying to get all the equipment in a proper spot (off the floor). I wish I had gotten into photography when I was younger.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maddog10 wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing

I have been rearranging the room all day, trying to get all the equipment in a proper spot (off the floor). I wish I had gotten into photography when I was younger.

I say that all the time, Mike! I had cameras when younger, but was so busy hiking that I didn't take the time to do much "pure" photography. Now that I'm old, I rather lament not taking it up sooner. But...better late than NEVER! Razz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been shooting all my life but not "seriously".

I'm glad I didn't get serious about photography until later in life. Learning all this information makes me feel like a kid again.

When I was like a kid, I felt like a kid anyway so it wouldn't have made any difference. Wink

Jules

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lulalake wrote:
maddog10 wrote:

It was a good price. There are a lot of older Mamiyas on the market and most of the slightly newer ones aren't that much more expensive.

I paid 1200 for a refurbished Mamiya 645AFD when they were pretty new.

The lenses are simply killer. You might consider a 45mm or a 35mm lens. WA's are wonderful on MF.
Jules

The 35mm maybe but the 45mm is soft, so I would'nt bother with it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Mamiya M645 Reply with quote

maddog10 wrote:
As if I am not already overloading my brain with information about photography and cameras, I had to go and get a medium format kit.

A pair of M645 bodies, eye level prism, 4 lenses (2.8/45, 2.8/55, 2.8/80 & 4/150), Komura Telemore, pistol grip, 2-120 inserts, 1-220 insert, a butt load of 58mm and 77mm filters and a REALLY nice Zero Halliburton hard case. Kit seems to have everything except film and owners manuals. It is going to be some time until I get around to shooting with this outfit, I need to work on m skills just a wee bit more.

Congrats on your purchase. If I were you I would ditch those two M645 bodies and think about making yourself an adapter so you can use those lenses on a modern DSLR....That way you benefit financially from the cheap lenses and have all the shooting convenience of a DSLR.
I have been using Mamiya 645 lenses on my Sigma DSLR's for years via a M645-SA adapter I made myself...Its every simple to make, as its essentially an M645 #1 extension ring, and an SA mounting plate with a 2mm spacer shim sandwiched in between.:
http://sigmasd10.fotopic.net/p17717695.html
You might want to ditch that 45mm too as its a soft lens...The 55mm and 80mm are the sharpest of that bunch and are therefore keepers
Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awaking this thread to ask if you was satisfied with that cam and glasses. Or what about some samples? Did you still have it is a question.