Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider Apo-Componon HM MC 90mm 4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Schneider Apo-Componon HM MC 90mm 4.5 Reply with quote

Snagged one of these for a hundred and a quarter. I have heard is excellent for use as a macro lens. Anyone have experince with this one? I'm waiting (impatiently!) for it to come in from abroad.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK came in yesterday and I got a (brief) chance today to try a couple of snaps. Tell me what you think.

A7Rii, nex to m42 helical, extension tubes. Minor tweaks in GIMP for contrast and brightness (to compensate for my penchant for underexposures).

A crop.

The 100% crop.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got a chance to spend enough time to see what it is really capable of.

the crop

Another

and the crop.

The 100% crops show this IMHO to be the sharpest lens I have ever used for macro.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally a shot in the sunlight. This lens is insanely sharp.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the enlarger's lenses since this spring on bellow, the shortest is 100 mm. The Schneider Componons are amazing, same as Rodenstock Rodagons and Gerogons, no matter Apo, or not. Ektars from Press cameras are great too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that was the route that brought me to this lens. Tried some fuji, elgeet, rodagon lenses and started to read up. The APO componon is supposedly the best corrected of Schneiders enlarger lenses. This particular one does not have any controls it is just a barrel lens. So no aperture and no helical and 39mm threads on one side and no threads for filters. I would characterize it as the sharpest lens I have ever used. Though I'm sure Klaus has much better stuff in his lens vault and obviously much more skill than I can muster.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's amazing , i am using mostly c/y and MD mount, what helicoid would you recommend me to be able to use such a lens and my lenses on A7? Thanx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's amazing , i am using mostly c/y and MD mount, what helicoid would you recommend me to be able to use such a lens and my lenses on A7? Thanx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a FOTGA (IIRC!) nex m42 helicoid. They are maybe 40 dollars. Very useful as they dramatically decrease your MFD for a host of vintage glass.

like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/for-M42-Screw-Lens-to-Sony-E-NEX-Adapter-Macro-Focusing-Helicoid-3N-5T-A7-A6300/272394937249?hash=item3f6c00e3a1:rk:5:pf:0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one, but want to find some adapters for different sizes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sweeeeeet! jt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I use a FOTGA (IIRC!) nex m42 helicoid. They are maybe 40 dollars. Very useful as they dramatically decrease your MFD for a host of vintage glass.

like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/for-M42-Screw-Lens-to-Sony-E-NEX-Adapter-Macro-Focusing-Helicoid-3N-5T-A7-A6300/272394937249?hash=item3f6c00e3a1:rk:5:pf:0

Thanks for the tip; these enlargemnt lenses are3 M42 mount or do i need some rings to adapt it? Would it be better option to buy a leica mount helicoid directly so i could fit my Minolta and C/Y lenses,as the enlargement lens to it?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did use the 90mm a couple of times for macro but prefer the 40mm version.

The 90mm does have a large image circle, potentially useful for tilt.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
I did use the 90mm a couple of times for macro but prefer the 40mm version.

I found one of my earliest images. I was getting flare of the reversed (flat) front of the lens reflecting on the sensor, or vice versa, so I put a tilt adapter between the lens and the camera. The FOV was something like 4mm wide. Lens set and f11 or f16, flash illumination.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:

I took a long time to trace this (2013) article and image:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1247442/#11863676

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This image was taken with natural light in my greenhouse and I thought I would share.
another taken that same evening.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this lens out yesterday. The crocosmia's are in bud the sprinkler had just quit and the late afternoon sun was shining. This was with a nex m42 close 3 different m42 m42 helicals and an m39 m42 threaded ring.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me!

If I upgrade my film scanning setup this may be a good lens. My current one is a Canon EF 100mm 2.8 USM.