Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any ideas for replacing a grip, RE Auto Topcor 25mm 3.5?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Any ideas for replacing a grip, RE Auto Topcor 25mm 3.5? Reply with quote

I`ve received a second copy of this lens for helping someone out. It`s in a rougher condition than my original, the rear lens has some fungus which is currently having a ponds cold cream bath. The rest is fine, focusing smoothly, aperture fine,front and middle glass is fine. There`s a few scuffs and scratches on the body and some grime, all of which is incidental and cleanable.

The grip though had disintegrated, any ideas on how best to replace these? It`s not essential for the lens to operate I guess but would be nice to have some kind of permanent fix, I can provide measurements if that`s of any use?

Anyone used any ingenuous tricks before?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old zoom lenses in less popular mounts sometimes have big rubber grips that could be taken off and cut to size. I say old zooms because they can be bought very cheaply.

They may not match the original pattern exactly, but it would look better than nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just done this old Tamron 70-220 / 3.8 that was immaculate except for completely disintegrated rubber grips. I used old real leather, the sort of stuff you could find in various colours and textures on old ladies handbags and coats cheap in charity shops, or even car seats in a scrap yard.
Just cut the leather carefully to the right width and leave it a bit longer ( to wrap around the diameter of the lens ) I then apply a contact cement - I like Bostik 'Glu & Fix' - which allows time to place the leather in place, mark the length ( the diameter of the lens ) and trim so it butts up. Then I re apply the leather to the tacky glue. Once it's dry any overspill of glue can be easily pulled off as it dries to a rubbery consistency. Get an old leather coat and there's enough leather to make a few mistakes.
I think it makes a nice job as well. Finding the right size rubber grips isn't always easy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to suggest leather. Rather classy I think.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Phil, I think it looks kinda classy as well, the whole thing looks 'right' with that leather. I was looking for something a bit different, I'm trawling the charity shops for a nice old red leather coat, which I will use on some other lenses that need doing. But I think the Tamron looks OK as it is.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used restoration camera leatherette on some lenses (not my beloved Topcors !)

Here is an example: http://www.cameraleather.com/colors/restoration_black.htm

If you search a bit, you might find adhesive-backed material and different embossed models....

I never did find rubber.... unfortunatly

I've experienced two kinds of rubber grips on RE, Auto-Topcor's,
one hard rubber that brittles easilly, closer to plastic imo,
and one softer, more elastic rubber that stands the test of time...
I watch out for the harder rubber, mostly found on the earlier versions in my experience.

If you want to take'em apart, most times, the harder rubber will break...
And i have never found "Topcor replacement rubber grips"....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, I like Lloydys suggestion and am contemplating whether some snakeskin leatherette will be too tacky Wink

Unfortunately the rear element is etched by fungus, though not drastically so. I`ll get it tested at some point to see how much this affects I.Q. in comparison to my other copy.

Interestingly it`s a later version with different lettering on the aperture ring, different lettering and coloured "R" on the DOF scale, 25mm instead of 2.5cm on the front ring and the coatings are definitely different, they are uniformly golden while my older version seems to show, gold, magenta and silvery/grey?

I would love a copy of the Topcon Story but they seem to be pretty rare these days.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and am contemplating whether some snakeskin leatherette will be too tacky

Go for it, a cheap lens deserves some bling! Cool If I find some good stuff, like snakeskin on a ladies handbag or something, I shall redo this Tamron, the contact cement will just peel off so it'll be easy to pimp it up. Cool

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leather looks great on Tamrons, especially on Adaptall-1's since they had this weird material for grips to begin with. But otherwise old zooms are a solid option.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old Tamron grips are a very random thing as far as durability. The lens in the picture had a tiny portion of the rubber left on one ring, which crumbled to a sugar like dust. The 300mm lens I got at the same time which is the same style and era is perfect, but another zoom I've got the rubber grips have stretched and are a bit loose, but remain intact - just not stretchy anymore.
I wonder if there's a difference in our sweaty palms that affects the rubber differently?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My RE 35/2.8 had one bad ring that disintegrated, luckily the RE 58/1.8 is an exact match.
I'm researching how to recondition the rubber, I will post a solution when/if I find one.
First promising find is a mixture of wintergreen oil & Xylene.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=emrjl0mce4t7ucmhlpr2c1pc24&topic=29707.0

http://www.bouncing-balls.com/chemistry_tech_conservation/conserve.htm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also been trying to find a solution for replacement focus rings grips for Topcor lenses. I tried cutting up some leather and gluing it on with contact cement. Looked and felt ok, but didn't care for the seams. Finally found some silicone bracelets on Amazon that work well. The ones for kids are about the right size, just look for ones that have a circumference of 6.3 to 7 inches. I bought some in both sizes just in case.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PQH5ZGR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QT72KQK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough that`s what I ultimately put on mine (forgot about the thread). Easy on/off, no mess and any wear and tear is easily replaced!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

braz wrote:
I've also been trying to find a solution for replacement focus rings grips for Topcor lenses. I tried cutting up some leather and gluing it on with contact cement. Looked and felt ok, but didn't care for the seams. Finally found some silicone bracelets on Amazon that work well. The ones for kids are about the right size, just look for ones that have a circumference of 6.3 to 7 inches. I bought some in both sizes just in case.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PQH5ZGR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QT72KQK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you for this. I purchased the second link. 7 inch youth and it works very well. The circumference is perfect and looking at the Topcor's I have it will work with the ones with 49mm thread filters: 58 f/1.8, 35 f/2.8, 135 f/3.5, etc.

It is not as wide as the original. It's a hair more narrow (about 1/32 of an inch), but not a huge issue.

Unfortunately, I had to buy 48 of them. I don't need that many. If anyone lives around the Phoenix metro area and needs one, then you can pick one up for free. I can also ship for the price of shipping. Although that might not be worth it at 8.99 for 48 pieces.