Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Distagon 35/1.4 helicoid - possible to attempt a repair?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Distagon 35/1.4 helicoid - possible to attempt a repair? Reply with quote

Got a Distagon 35/1.4 as a present a few years ago but focus ring didn't turn other than a few degrees, took it to a repair center and they told me the helicoid was broken and as such they couldn't do much for it.

Is there anything I can attempt myself to repair? Is the lens hard to tear apart to see this famous helicoid?

Thank you

Giovanni

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend getting a second opinion here, since "broken helicoid" is a fairly vague (and possibly inaccurate) diagnosis.
What one repair shop might be afraid to touch, can be a routine repair for another.

Usually I'm all for getting the tools and doing the deed, but this is a pricey lens, and pulling distagon apart as a first repair job seems to be a bit of a gamble to me.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
I would recommend getting a second opinion here, since "broken helicoid" is a fairly vague (and possibly inaccurate) diagnosis.
What one repair shop might be afraid to touch, can be a routine repair for another.

Usually I'm all for getting the tools and doing the deed, but this is a pricey lens, and pulling distagon apart as a first repair job seems to be a bit of a gamble to me.

Hello,

I know this is not easy task but I live on an island and the only repair center by the closest town is the one who gave me the sad report, I have nothing to loose to attempt at least a disassemble to find out about it, the front coat is also almost gone (something I also have in a Planar 85/1.4 I was given together with the 35, a 50/1.7, a 135/2.8 and a 200/3.5) so no big loss if something goes wrong.

I have the tool to remove the rings keeping lenses into place, dunno what's its name, you know what I am talking about...

Grazie and have a nice Sunday everybody

Giovanni

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giovanni wrote:

I have the tool to remove the rings keeping lenses into place, dunno what's its name, you know what I am talking about...

I believe it's called a lens spanner.

I have no idea how distagon was built, but the general rule of the thumb is to avoid touching optics, unless you have to.
I think a good approach would be to set up a tripod with a camera and document every step, also supplying forum members with picrures, in case you need help.
Getting a large shallow plastic box with a lid to store partially disassembled lens will also help.

To access helicoid, you should go from the front, starting from the name ring and continue with all the bolts you can find under it.
Depending on how the lens was built you may also need to go from the back in order to remove focusing tab and let helicoid unscrew completely.

Post pictures as you go, so someone can better assist you.