Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Using an older Quartz Fluoride Condensor as a taking lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Using an older Quartz Fluoride Condensor as a taking lens Reply with quote

A while ago, on my search for affordable lenses for reflected UV photography, I discovered in an older UV-VIS spectrometer system some seemingly useful Quartz Fluoride Lens system (QFC) of approximately f3.2 / 81mm. It had to be modified to convince it to work with a camera, and also a variable aperture had to be added, but I succeeded finally to get it to work on a mft camera system.

So today a comparision between my "work horse" UV-Nikkor f4.5/105mm (top) and this QFC f3.2/81mm (botttom):

Both images are a Quadriptych of VIS, reflected UV, sim. Butterfly and Bee vision (left to right, top to bottom)

Both lenses differ in focal length, 105mm for the UV-Nikkor vs 81mm for the Quartz Fluoride Condensor lens, and lens speed f4.5 vs f3.2 but other than that they are quite comparable: there is hardly any focus shift, just sharpness and contrast is higher with the rather expensive UV-Nikkor lens compared to the Quartz Fluoride Condensor lens, quite as expected. Other than that this old lens does very well, but it only covers mft sensor format, possibly APS-C (with another modification).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really interesting shots. Beautiful work.

I find it odd that some of the photos on this site will not show in chrome (most do!) so I went to microsfts browser to view them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefox works

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks visualopsins for the Firefox tip, 99% of the time chrome works for me. I am viewing this on my galaxy tab t800 using chrome (at home) and it works just fine. But on only one of the 2 workstations running chrome on a Microsoft OS windows 10 desktop which I use at work, every once in a while it fails. I like chrome because I use several different devices and it syncs all my stuff. Maybe I should try Firefox again though. I use to know how to clear the cache sometimes that fixes the issues. Anyways great photos Klaus (as always! I confess that I envy your skills)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I use Firefox (latest version) on my MS 10 running Surface Pro and it just works fine, also synchs with my Firefox on my MS Server, with no issue - except it consumes quite some memory when having multiple windows open.