Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best 50-58mm lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity I've just compared some of my better normal lenses for infinity landscape at largest common aperture F2 on my Sony A7R II.

Tested lenses:

Sony FE 50mm/F1.8
Voigtlaender Nokton 50mm/F1.5
Voigtaender Color-Ultron (Rollei Planar HFT) 50mm/F1.8
KMZ Zenitar-M 50mm/F1.7
Yashica ML 50mm/F1.7
Leitz Summicron (V1) 50mm/F2.0
Minolta MD 50mm/F2.0
Minolta MD (Version II) 50mm/F1.4 (identical to Minolta AF 50mm/F1.4)

To make a long story short: By far the clear winner is the cheap Sony FE 50mm/F1.8 lens which can be purchased for EUR 200.- brand new incl. free home delivery (Amazon).

The only lens which is nearly as good; i.e. which is hardly distinguishable in normal viewing mode, is the Minolta 50mm/F1.4 (MD and AF). Surprisingly not even the Nokton is able to beat the Minolta and Sony lenses in this discipline.

All other lenses are relatively poor; i.e. not really recommendable when used at F2 or even fully open for landscape photography. It goes without saying that this picture may change totally when compared for e.g. portrait photography.

Nevertheless, when used stopped down to F5.6 (or even earlier) ALL of the tested lenses perform excellently and under normal circumstances nobody would use a lens fully open for landscape photography anyway.

Sorry, but this time I was simply too lazy to post all the pictures here.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have to jump in a tell you guys that I love the Olympus Zuiko OM 50/2 macro.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:

at F2 or even fully open for landscape photography

Sounds as exotic use case. Really, I don`t remember, when last I have seen "infinity focused" landscape photo with F>2.8, made not for testing purposes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleKawaiiNeko wrote:
tb_a wrote:

Sounds as exotic use case. Really, I don`t remember, when last I have seen "infinity focused" landscape photo with F>2.8, made not for testing purposes.

You're absolutely right. Therefore I stated "under normal circumstances nobody would use a lens fully open for landscape photography".
Nonetheless, I find it always interesting to see how lenses perform under extreme conditions: Some cope and some fail.

Interestingly the tested RF lenses (Voigtlaender Nokton 50/1.5 and Leitz Summicron 50/2) perform visibly better under such extreme conditions when used on my Ricoh GXR-M.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the exception of low light landscape? Anyway, quite interesting...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
LittleKawaiiNeko wrote:
tb_a wrote:

You're absolutely right. Therefore I stated "under normal circumstances nobody would use a lens fully open for landscape photography".
Nonetheless, I find it always interesting to see how lenses perform under extreme conditions: Some cope and some fail.

Interestingly the tested RF lenses (Voigtlaender Nokton 50/1.5 and Leitz Summicron 50/2) perform visibly better under such extreme conditions when used on my Ricoh GXR-M.

The Leica literature told that in the M serie the wide angle and normal lenses are designed for better rendering at far focus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the old LTM leica Summitar 50mm f2.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several older 50-55-58mm lenses here; currently have a Cosina 55mm f1.4 on my K-5 IIs and it's very nice...

some other notables:

Vivitar (Komine) 55mm f2.8 Macro
Porst Color Reflex 55mm f1.2
Pentax Super Tak 55mm f1.8

two flavors of Helios 58/2:

44M
44K-4

all have their pros & cons...