Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony Alpha 7ii EXIF Data IBIS Focal Length Setting
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Sony Alpha 7ii EXIF Data IBIS Focal Length Setting Reply with quote

I wonder if there is any EXIF data available from the IBIS In-Body Image Stabilization system of the Sony Alpha 7 (Mk2, specifically). I mean the focal length I put in manually whenever I don on a manual lens. I haven´t found any setting in the EXIF data yet, but probably I´m looking in the wrong place or the EXIF designation is not recognizable to me.

Reason is, to know the IBIS focal length setting would help me identify which lens I used for a particular image when looking at it later on; I usually don´t make notes, and if, then only for this forum. Which get occasionally lost Wink

If no setting is available in EXIF, is there another way, except making notes?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The IBIS data will not be store on the EXIF.

You can use add EXIF data with an EXIF tool like LensTagger https://www.lenstagger.com/ . An easy way to record the lens being used is to take a photo of the lens before you swap lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why Sony would not store "SteadyS. Focal Len." in EXIF?

I suppose using different settings, you could compare "exiftool -json imagefile" results for each to find changes.

The setting may be lurking in the binary data.

EDIT: LM-EA7 and LM-EA9 adapters write focal length into EXIF.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Calvin and Vis,

Thank you for the suggestions. I do sometimes take pictures of the lens before I put it on just to know later; however, this is no option when I go back a year or two in my image collection and wonder what lens I used back then. Vis, my knowledge about that is... well, I start at zero. But thanks for it anyway, it´s a starting point. As for lens tagger, I don´t use Lightroom. But an application just like that would be useful to have on the camera itself.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
"exiftool -json imagefile"

exiftool.org?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZuikosHexanonsandVivitars wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
"exiftool -json imagefile"

exiftool.org?

Yes