SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Securing A Loose Rubber Lens Grip Ring - What To Use?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Securing A Loose Rubber Lens Grip Ring - What To Use? Reply with quote

I recently bought a Vivitar 135mm f/2.8 Close Focus lens in very nice shape. The only issue I have using the lens is that the rubber grip ring is loose from the barrel. It's not stretched or misshapen. It just slides when I attempt to grab it to rotate for focus. So I must squeeze the barrel a bit tighter to turn everything together.

I have read some about double-sided tape but I have never had good luck with double-sided tape for things of this nature. I was considering rubber cement since that stuff seems to hold well without being severely permanent. I carefully slid the rubber ring off the lens to see if it had access screws beneath it (it does not). So I wouldn't be covering repair access. Any tips or tricks on what I should use?

For what it's worth, I tried a few forum searches but came up with only 404 errors so my apologies if this has been asked and answered elsewhere. Feel free to point me to that thread.


PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A search for "rubber" yields, among others, http://forum.mflenses.com/easy-question-which-glue-for-rubber-focus-ring-t35918.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! I went ahead with a couple drops of rubber cement just at the points where I could carefully lift the rubber grip and slide a toothpick in. I let sit for an hour or so and the grip is nicely holding to the lens (any excess rubs off easily).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubber cement will probably work nicely for you. A couple of others that will work are contact cement and Pliobond. Pliobond is the cement that camera repair techs have used for decades to resecure leatherettes back to camera bodies, but it should work just as well for your purpose. Both contact cement and Pliobond share the essential property that rubber cement has -- they remain flexible after drying -- and they tend to stick very well to surfaces to which they've been glued.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, that mention of Pliobond.
I'd not heard of it before; sounds as if it could be a very useful
adhesive for many different applications.

The big question is: Which one?
The Google suggests searches for Pliobond 20, 25, 30, 35
and others, and even a comparison between 20 and 25.
Any idea which one is used by the camera-repair folks?

Seems to be favored by aircraft mechanics, as well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Craig,

You got me! If I see a bottle of Pliobond on the shelf of a hardware store, I'm inclined to buy it, never gave any thought to the type. I buy it in a small brown bottle with a red and white label (as I recall). It looks and smells just like contact cement (brownish-yellow and thick like honey) and seems to work about the same, so I've ended up using them interchangeably for camera adhesive work. I do tend to prefer Pliobond when I can find it, though. I have a bottle of it around here somewhere, but it appears to have grown legs, cuz it isn't where I last remember seeing it.

Just one comment about contact cement that I think is important. Stick to a name brand. I bought some cheap off-brand stuff a while back and it is just about useless. Doesn't stick well and gets all rubbery without adhering to anything. Waste of money.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the grip is not stretched I use double sided tape.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to get double sided tape under uncut rubber?

To answer Craig, from pliobond20.pdf (search for it):

Traditional and VOC Compliant FormulationsPliobond provides permanent, flexible bonding and will not get brittle with age. The product resists most acids, gasoline, oil, grease and water.Traditional formulations employ an MEK solvent and the VOC compliant versions use a blended solvent.Pliobond 20, 25, 30, and 35 are all purpose, thermosetting contact adhesives with solid contents of pigment reinforced synthetic rubber and synthetic plastic resin. The 20 and 25 versions are most frequently used and contain 20 percent solids while the 30 and 35 products contain 30 percent solids and form a heavier film with controlled penetration. The latter are most often used on more porous surfaces. The 25, 35 and 45 versions are VOC compliant formulas.Pliobond 45 consists of 40 percent solids and is available on special orders.Pliobond HT-30 has the same qualities as Pliobond 30 but it resists higher temperatures while providing permanent flexible bonding. However, it must be heat cured to 300 degrees F.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
To answer Craig, from pliobond20.pdf...

Thanks for that; very informative.