Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Topcor RE 85/1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Topcor RE 85/1.8 Reply with quote

Is anyone here using the Topcor RE 85/1.8?
I did a search and nothing came up, I just bought one, and I'll have to wait a week or two for delivery.
Then I'll have to find time to use it, it should be fun on my A7r.


PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Topcor RE 85/1.8 Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Is anyone here using the Topcor RE 85/1.8?
I did a search and nothing came up, I just bought one, and I'll have to wait a week or two for delivery.
Then I'll have to find time to use it, it should be fun on my A7r.

Congrats! It is said the production number of this is less a thousand within the last few months. I bought one with the original hood too and I lent it to my friend for testing. He said it is sharp from wide open but he do not have chance to tried it in the bad weather. You would be disappointed with its quality.


PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's anything like my 58's it will be amazing.
I've also heard the ~1000 produced figure, I don't know how true that is.

My Topcor lineup is almost complete, in RE black I have:
28/2.8, 35/2.8, 58/1.4, 85/1.8, 100/2.8, & The R 135/3.5 Preset.
In silver I have the 58/1.8.

I'd still like to get a 200 & 300/2.8
Then there is the Topcor 35-2.8 in LTM that is calling me.


PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rare one! Congratulations!
Klaus


PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you dig one up and how much did it cost you?


PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, a rare catch indeed!!


PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
If it's anything like my 58's it will be amazing.
I've also heard the ~1000 produced figure, I don't know how true that is.

My Topcor lineup is almost complete, in RE black I have:
28/2.8, 35/2.8, 58/1.4, 85/1.8, 100/2.8, & The R 135/3.5 Preset.
In silver I have the 58/1.8.

I'd still like to get a 200 & 300/2.8
Then there is the Topcor 35-2.8 in LTM that is calling me.


congrats on your rare 85mm and your complete collection!
the LTM f2/5cm is not calling you? it must have a sore throat..


PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
If it's anything like my 58's it will be amazing.
I've also heard the ~1000 produced figure, I don't know how true that is.

My Topcor lineup is almost complete, in RE black I have:
28/2.8, 35/2.8, 58/1.4, 85/1.8, 100/2.8, & The R 135/3.5 Preset.
In silver I have the 58/1.8.

I'd still like to get a 200 & 300/2.8
Then there is the Topcor 35-2.8 in LTM that is calling me.

You will know it quality when it arrives. All the known copies of Topcon 85 has serial of 13300xxx.

Topcon is the only Japanese brand I will keep more than two lenses(I have seven till now).

The LTM Simlar 50/1.5 is calling you. Wink


PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, I will for sure be posting my thoughts and pictures about it after we spend some time together.

calvin83 wrote:
Lightshow wrote:
If it's anything like my 58's it will be amazing.
I've also heard the ~1000 produced figure, I don't know how true that is.

My Topcor lineup is almost complete, in RE black I have:
28/2.8, 35/2.8, 58/1.4, 85/1.8, 100/2.8, & The R 135/3.5 Preset.
In silver I have the 58/1.8.

I'd still like to get a 200 & 300/2.8
Then there is the Topcor 35-2.8 in LTM that is calling me.

You will know it quality when it arrives. All the known copies of Topcon 85 has serial of 13300xxx.

Topcon is the only Japanese brand I will keep more than two lenses(I have seven till now).

The LTM Simlar 50/1.5 is calling you. Wink

Mine is also in that Serial # range.

kuuan wrote:

congrats on your rare 85mm and your complete collection!
the LTM f2/5cm is not calling you? it must have a sore throat..



I already have the Topcor-S 50/2 LTM, it's a great lens, so I wouldn't mind the 50/1.5 but the 35 is much more rare, I also want the Canon 50/1.5.
The only thing that bugs me about RF glass is the long MFD, so a Nikkor 50/1.4 is also on the list.

Fabian wrote:
Where did you dig one up and how much did it cost you?

I have not seen one for sale for a year, and I missed out on that one and kicked myself for missing it, it was an eBay auction and went for under $1000, I paid more for mine sadly, it took 3-4 days to convince myself, I just don't know if or when I'll see another, so pulled the trigger.


PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a photo of your lens? Is it black or silver?


PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
Do you have a photo of your lens? Is it black or silver?

Just the sellers picture, it's black.


PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it Topcon or Topcor?


PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackpot probably, congrats!!! Look forward your shoots!


PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
Is it Topcon or Topcor?


Company name: TOPCON

Lens name: TOPCOR


PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember those cameras . They were built like tanks. Do you find adapters for modern cameras?


PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Topcor RE 85/1.8 Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Then I'll have to find time to use it, it should be fun on my A7r.


Don't find time, *make* time. Smile

Some shots would be most appreciated.


PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
vanylapep wrote:
Is it Topcon or Topcor?


Company name: TOPCON

Lens name: TOPCOR

Nikon - Nikkor
Olympus - Zuiko
Topcon - Topcor


PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topcon used Exakta mount if I'm not mistaken.


PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
i remember those cameras . They were built like tanks. Do you find adapters for modern cameras?

There are mount kits to swap them to M42
And there are adapters available from EF and just about any new mirror less camera mount.
They were built like tanks, which is why the US Navy used them, but to me their optics are of a very high quality and precision that many optics companies struggle to achieve, like being able to get sharpness wide open that others can only get when stopped down.
I really wish they still produced camera lenses, I wonder if there camera division would have survived if they moved to a different mount from Exakta.


PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

And there are adapters available from EF and just about any new mirror less camera mount.

Still no direct adapters for Sony E Mount ?
I mean, Topcon RE, not Exakta of course.
Congrats for this rarity !


PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phenix jc wrote:
Lightshow wrote:

And there are adapters available from EF and just about any new mirror less camera mount.

Still no direct adapters for Sony E Mount ?
I mean, Topcon RE, not Exakta of course.
Congrats for this rarity !

You can use the Topcon RE lens on the Exakta -> E mount adapter.


PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phenix jc wrote:
Lightshow wrote:

And there are adapters available from EF and just about any new mirror less camera mount.

Still no direct adapters for Sony E Mount ?
I mean, Topcon RE, not Exakta of course.
Congrats for this rarity !

Topcon uses a modified Exakta mount for their RE line(aperture setting communication & auto iris), the older Topcon R is nearly identical to Exakta, the RE lenses do not fit on the older Topcon R bodies, I've tried.
I'm currently using a cheap Exakta to E-mount adapter for my R & RE Topcor's.


PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Can't wait to see the pictures, this lens is pretty rare.


PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billou wrote:
Shocked

Can't wait to see the pictures, this lens is pretty rare.

I ant wait to hold it in my hands, I've wanted it for a long time, but never had the money available when I've seen it for sale, this time I did.


PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

All the known copies of Topcon 85 has serial of 13300xxx.


I also have one, but the serial is 133011xx, so it seems to be more than 1000 pieces produced Smile

Some family pics, always 5DII, wide open:







Last edited by Max78 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total