Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

American Optical Company 5-Inch Slide Projector Lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: American Optical Company 5-Inch Slide Projector Lens Reply with quote

My late father had an old slide projector in a leather case. I noticed it had a lens on the end - just an aluminum tube with indents for the focusing screw. Looks like...three elements? There might be more if some are cemented, but it's hard to tell.

I stuck it to an old metal M42-M42 extension tube using Gorilla tape and rubber bands. Road Warrior! Then I screwed it into another such extension tube, then into my M42-FX adapter with a helicoid, then I added a couple more extension tubes on the end so I could proper focus on my X-T2. It now reaches past infinity on the far end, and down to a little less than 1 meter on the near end.

It's very fun to shoot! I did do some post on these shots, so keep that in mind.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting lens, the bokeh with highlights might not be everyones taste, but you've certainly got some good images from the lens. I like the leaf on the reflective surface a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Interesting lens, the bokeh with highlights might not be everyones taste, but you've certainly got some good images from the lens. I like the leaf on the reflective surface a lot.

Thanks. It certainly has an unusual character, and it's very sharp. I haven't had a chance to try it for portraits yet, but I'm anxious to try.

The American Optical Company still exists, by the way. They make lenses for eyeglasses. It's an old company, founded in the 19th Century.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Interesting...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. I picked up a projector lens at a camera shop a while back for a fiver and it took quite good photos freelensing though with the lens reversed, I never did get around to making a true mount for it. . Ektar 5 inch 3.5 IIRC.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are almost all triplets.

I have a box of about 20 or so of this sort of projection lens.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

I have a box of about 20 or so of this sort of projection lens.

I thought my collection of Projector lenses was excessive. Smile
I'm quite pleased with my 50mm, 85mm & 40mm shift versions, but I've never managed to get the longer ones focused properly - perhaps I'm just getting a bit of droop with the long fittings...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

It looks like a triplet.

What's kind of interesting is that, since there's no aperture and no focus, the elements are sealed in the body. Even though the whole lens was covered in a substantial layer of slightly-grimy dust when I found it, there's not a speck inside. After a good cleaning the glass is as clear as any lens I've ever seen.