Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron adaptall 90mm aperture blades
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Tamron adaptall 90mm aperture blades Reply with quote

Hello,

Just bought a very clean sample of this lens (early metal version).
However, I'm surprised that aperture blades look slightly misaligned with spiky hole at f/4 and f/5,6.

Not a big deal but since it's a macro, bokeh matters a bit, and bokeh in the highlights may too.
I don't remember my previous one had this issue. Can somebody confirm or not ?

If the blades are supposed to be better aligned, is it easy to fix ?

Thank you Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Tamron 90mm model 52B does exhibit slightly "spiky" corners to the aperture at f/4 and f/5.6. I've owned the lens for over 30 years and I don't remember ever noticing a "bokeh" issue, but when I'm up close and personal with a beetle or butterfly that's probably the last thing on my mind Wink

Get out there and try it ... I'm sure you'll be very happy Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
A few mounths ago, I did a foliage serie with the sun into the frame with various lenses, so there was highlights bokeh.
Since that, I realized it does matter in certain conditions, and I remember I was happy that the Tamron had 9 aperture blades, more than the 90mm f/2,8 1:1 macro (Vivitar, Panagor...) I had too.

But you're right, it's a great lens and mine has mint glass, got it for a very reasonable price. I also shot 80% of the time wide open so not a big deal.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A feature, that (spikey) star-shaped aperture makes for pretty bokeh...for example the 50/4 Macro-Takumars have it too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like kypfer, I've owned my 52B for almost 30 years and I've never noticed any unusual bokeh with mine. I don't have mine handy to check right now, but I'd recommend you do as kypfer recommended and just go shoot with it and see what you think. I'll say this, though -- when I'm after most pleasing bokeh, I always shoot with a lens wide open. Macros being macros, though, it is still possible to have pleasing bokeh even with a lens stopped down some. So I'd just give it a try under all lighting conditions.

Whether the 52B or 52BB, the Tamron macro is a remarkable lens -- one of the best macros out there regardless of price -- and can often be found for a very reasonable sum, especially when compared to what other macros sell for.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What lenses with star-shaped aperture do You know