Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon nFD 135mm F2.8 trouble removing front elements
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Canon nFD 135mm F2.8 trouble removing front elements Reply with quote

Hello. I'm trying to remove front elements of my Canon nFD 135mm f2.8. I did removed two of them and encountered a problem - the third glass doesn't have cut out holes to unscrew. Is it inaccessible? How can I reach this final glass. I want to clean up the fungus (those small white dots, it's more visible with an eye). Has anyone tried to disassemble canon fd lenses? I tried to find more information about the construction of this lens but there's nothing, no guidelines.

Any information will be appreciated, thank you in advance.

Here's how the lens looks like with two front elements removed and third one exposed. You can see the ring that holds the glass and it's without cut out marks for unscrewing:

if the image doesn't work please use this link it will lead you directly to a picture, it's a facebook link, it's safe: https://scontent-waw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/15970510_1572700819412360_890102950_n.jpg?oh=c45e76c51a9d546636b1875992e4659b&oe=58788972

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon nFD 135mm F2.8 trouble removing front elements Reply with quote

Reposted to show picture, Anti spam measure.

melectrou wrote:
Hello. I'm trying to remove front elements of my Canon nFD 135mm f2.8. I did removed two of them and encountered a problem - the third glass doesn't have cut out holes to unscrew. Is it inaccessible? How can I reach this final glass. I want to clean up the fungus (those small white dots, it's more visible with an eye). Has anyone tried to disassemble canon fd lenses? I tried to find more information about the construction of this lens but there's nothing, no guidelines.

Any information will be appreciated, thank you in advance.

Here's how the lens looks like with two front elements removed and third one exposed. You can see the ring that holds the glass and it's without cut out marks for unscrewing:

if the image doesn't work please use this link it will lead you directly to a picture, it's a facebook link, it's safe: https://scontent-waw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/15970510_1572700819412360_890102950_n.jpg?oh=c45e76c51a9d546636b1875992e4659b&oe=58788972

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don t know the lens, so it s difficult to say, an optical shematic of the lens could be helpful. But i think the cases are two: or the element can be removed from the front with a rubber tap, or you ll have to acess it from the back. I think the second is more probable, but i am really just guessing.

Tomas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last element in the front group is almost always accessed from the back. You get to it by the removing the front group completely. And yes, on FD 135/2.8 it can be a complete PITA. I have one in the back of my bench that simply won't budge. Perhaps once I'm done with my daily Nikkor penance I'll give it another look.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for information. Yeah. FD lenses are quite over-engineered.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not necessarily call them over-engineered. Anyways - I tried to removed the front group one more time to no avail, so I removed the mount, rear element assembly and cleaned the back through the aperture hole.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,i've got the same 135 2.8 nFD that needs some cleaning,there's some haze behind the front element/group - i have no clue where to start,as i tried to unscrew the canon ring and no way to move it; any help would be appreciate It

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody have experience with this glass?