Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron AD2 72B 90mm 1:1 macro and 01F 2 x TC
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Tamron AD2 72B 90mm 1:1 macro and 01F 2 x TC Reply with quote

Had a quick test run of the above combination, as I didnt have any extension tubes to hand

Very tricky focussing with the 2x TC, but the result was very pleasing

I have to say the 72B lives up to the reputation built by the earlier f2.5 90mm macro lenses, ie the 52B and 52BB, the main differences being trie 1:1 macro and a slightly lower speed at f2.8 as opposed to the earlier f2.5

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 52B, with 01F 2x as necessary, has been a staple of my photographic "armoury" for very many years, it's good to know the later models are just as good Smile
It's not really surprising these lenses continue to maintain a high reselling value!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 52B attached to a Minolta camera in a charity shop back in June. I sold it as I already have a copy....It help fund some Minolta lenses though Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Tamron AD2 72B 90mm 1:1 macro and 01F 2 x TC Reply with quote

MarkS wrote:
I have to say the 72B lives up to the reputation built by the earlier f2.5 90mm macro lenses, ie the 52B and 52BB, the main differences being trie 1:1 macro and a slightly lower speed at f2.8 as opposed to the earlier f2.5

I have both:
52B and 72B
The difference in Speed is a non-issue.
The 72B is a true short tele - very sharp even wide opened whereas the 52B should be stopped down.
I love the built quality and handling of the 52B much more so I still use both.
The 72B is at least same quality for sports and theatre as a modern 2.8-zoom-lens at 2.8!
Stopped down the quality increases much more with the manual prime....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mark, I too am glad to see the 72B gives up nothing in the resolution department with respect to the 52B. I've owned one of the latter since about 1990 or so, and it is usually my go-to macro lens.

Just a comment about your focusing issues. I think you'll find that, even if you were to use an extension tube instead of the TC, you would encounter an equivalent amount of darkness. Tubes just make a subject darker and I've found that they're about the same as a TC in that regard.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve had that 01 TC for a while and no proper Adaptall-2 to use it on, no longer lens with aperture > f/3.8

So I haven’t really evaluated it.

Is it any better than the usual 2x TC?
The 7 element ones for instance?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis, I'm very fond of the Vivitar macro-focusing 7-element 2x TC. I also own one of the Tamron 01Fs. Several years ago, I did a rather extensive test, pitting the two TCs against each other to see if I could declare a clear winner. I couldn't. They were both excellent. So, fear not, when you finally obtain a Tamron Adaptall-2 lens to your liking, the 01F should not disappoint.