Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Orion-15 28mm f/6.0 on Monochrom
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Orion-15 28mm f/6.0 on Monochrom Reply with quote

I received a nice package from Ukraine, containing a 1959-vintage Orion-15, rangefinder-adjusted to Leica standard.

Just 2 quick test-snaps.

First at f/8 or 11:

This one is "wide" open at f/6, I may have missed the focus on the laurel-leaves as I was a bit in a rush... but I wanted to see the bokeh of the lens.

I'm looking forward to take this little lens to the streets!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy your Orion-15. I first used mine on a Zorki-6 and now it is fitted to a Samsung NX5 ... it's a nice lens Smile

Last edited by kypfer on Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selfie...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite good.
Not so fast, but the results are pleasing
T

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots. Congratulations.

By the way, what's the deal with these lenses? I searched for it on Ebay, and their prices are quite high for a Soviet rangefinder lens, even topping the Jupiter 3.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhayashileite wrote:
Nice shots. Congratulations.

By the way, what's the deal with these lenses? I searched for it on Ebay, and their prices are quite high for a Soviet rangefinder lens, even topping the Jupiter 3.
Thanks!

The price is the result of the rarity of this lens, and of wide-angle Soviet rangefinder lenses in general.

Look for the Russar 20mm and you will find that it is even more expensive...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
The price is the result of the rarity of this lens, and of wide-angle Soviet rangefinder lenses in general.
Look for the Russar 20mm and you will find that it is even more expensive...

Also the fact that one can use the Orion-15 on an cropped-sensor camera. It makes a nice compact unit Smile

The Russar 20mm protrudes too far into the body to be used on anything other than a full-frame camera, which limits it's attraction, else it would be eve more expensive! I sold mine in auction on eBay recently for £180, with matching viewfinder, which I thought was a fair price for a rare collectors item. The significantly higher "asking prices" in the "Buy-It-Now" listings really are a little fanciful Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:

Also the fact that one can use the Orion-15 on an cropped-sensor camera. It makes a nice compact unit Smile

The Russar 20mm protrudes too far into the body to be used on anything other than a full-frame camera, which limits it's attraction, else it would be eve more expensive! I sold mine in auction on eBay recently for £180, with matching viewfinder, which I thought was a fair price for a rare collectors item. The significantly higher "asking prices" in the "Buy-It-Now" listings really are a little fanciful Wink

Most lenses can be used on crop-sensor-camera's too. The Orion has (objectively speaking) unremarkable specs, and there are other compact 28mm lenses in a similar price range, and often a few stops faster (so much more versatile). So I don't think that the ability to adapt to APSC or M43 has a high influence on the price in this specific case.

I didn't try the Russar myself, but it does fit the M8 for example, which also has a crop sensor (APSH) and the GXR too (APSC)

More in general terms, the distance to the sensor from the mounting flange of the lens (so including the adapter) will be the same, regardless of sensor size. The diameter of the lens mount of the camera could be a problem, or other protruding parts between sensor and lens mount.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another street-shot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laugh 1 Coming from mostly fast 50 & 90mm lenses, I have to get used to the depth of field of this one.... 100% crop of above pic:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb detail.
An excellent lens for sure
T