Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

FED 50mm/F3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm finally out of my sick bed and took the FED into the back garden. Good old Scottish autumn weather - a glowering steel grey sky, with gaps in the rain about 3-4 minutes at a time. I only took three shots and they look like I've never exposed for a photograph in my life before! I've no idea what happened, as the lens has been quite stable indoors under natural light. No real vices at all with APSC. But something went haywire when I went outside. White balance off, mad blown highlights (on one hell of a dull day), veiling flare. The most obvious thing was that I'd messed up the white balance, but when I checked inside it was on auto. I'll remember to switch on the kelvin scale next time with this lens.

So I salvaged what I could and produced an 'Instagram pic' from a crop.

Believe it or not, there's a serious amount of pp just to try and control the highlights, and I've still not managed to. I've put it up however to show something that was heartening. It's a full frame 3.5 lens on an APSC, but it looks like I might be able to produce some decent OOF once I remember how to use a camera again. I'm standing about 1.2m in front of the apple tree and the red berries of the Pyracantha are only say 1.5 m behind the tree. Not bad I'm thinking, I can do something with that.

I'm currently consoling myself by remembering that I once used only one lens for three years in my youth. It was all muscle memory by the end. I didn't have to think at all other than compose. So I shouldn't expect to be able to work this lens from the off.

If anyone has any tips to ease my learning of this lens it would be much appreciated. I thought I had it nailed... then went outside!

Regards

Ian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering if it's the camera body or adaptor you're using? On my Pentax sometimes the metal mount of some lenses can make an intermittent contact with the electrical contacts on the camera body and throw up all sorts of anomalies ... usually sorted by either cleaning the lens body where it contacts the camera or insulating it completely.

YMMV Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
Just wondering if it's the camera body or adaptor you're using? On my Pentax sometimes the metal mount of some lenses can make an intermittent contact with the electrical contacts on the camera body and throw up all sorts of anomalies ... usually sorted by either cleaning the lens body where it contacts the camera or insulating it completely.

YMMV Wink

That's very interesting kypfer. A lightbulb has just came on in my head. My X-E1 does act up from time to time. It's on start up and can produces whacky settings before righting itself usually by switching off then on again. I'd just thought 'they do that', and as I've had the time, I've just let it settle down and thought nothing of it. Yesterday, I didn't have the time and may have not noticed. When I think about it, it does act like it's receiving external interference. I'm going to explore that avenue.

Thanks kypfer. I've never read of this before. Like 1 small .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Fuji X-T1, a wobbly adapter can also cause some random issues.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
On my Fuji X-T1, a wobbly adapter can also cause some random issues.

Thanks Sjak.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you don't mind me reviving this old post, but I figured thats better than to open a new one for the same lens each time I have a question.
I've ordered this lens (a coated version of FED aka Industar 10 50mm F3.5), but I won't be back home to see it for at least a month. In the mean time I wish to order some lens caps, filters, lens hood etc. Does anyone who owns the lens knows its filter thread size? I've googled and googled but it's hard to find any dependable info (actually I've seen different sizes being mentioned, also people confuse this lens with I-22 etc.). Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejan wrote:
I hope you don't mind me reviving this old post, but I figured thats better than to open a new one for the same lens each time I have a question.
I've ordered this lens (a coated version of FED aka Industar 10 50mm F3.5), but I won't be back home to see it for at least a month. In the mean time I wish to order some lens caps, filters, lens hood etc. Does anyone who owns the lens knows its filter thread size? I've googled and googled but it's hard to find any dependable info (actually I've seen different sizes being mentioned, also people confuse this lens with I-22 etc.). Thank you!

There is no filter thread. You need a "push on" lens hood 36mm. Same story for the cap or filter

Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/304194361029

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, but I think that, unlike with the Leica "original", there is a thin black thread ring close to the glass element (the aperture switch is right above it). It's well hidden, not in the expected place. Different sources claim different sizes, like 19mm and 22mm...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejan wrote:
Thank you, but I think that, unlike with the Leica "original", there is a thin black thread ring close to the glass element (the aperture switch is right above it). It's well hidden, not in the expected place. Different sources claim different sizes, like 19mm and 22mm...

Well, this thread is for the mounting ring to keep the front element glass in place. It's definitely not for filters or alike. I've just measured 18mm inner diameter.
Would not recommend to use it for any accessories....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much! So it was false information after all. I'll go for the option you previously suggested.