Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rokkor MD 24mm f/2.8 - in landscape and closeup
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Rokkor MD 24mm f/2.8 - in landscape and closeup Reply with quote

What a great lens!! It can do anything from close-ups to wide landscapes, with gorgeous Minolta color and contrast.

More on this lens here: https://fourbillionyears.org/minolta-rokkor-md-24mm/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

It's a great lens. I have two versions of the MD 24/2.8: MD-II (9/7) and MD-III (8/8 ). Both are good. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is the very last MD-II W-Rokkor, with 55mm filter size. I have heard that the later 49mm MD-III version is equally good, but chose the earlier model for the "traditional" hefty Minolta feel. What's your opinion of their relative merits?

Alberto

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't compared them side by side (I leave that to others more capable) but from what I've seen I'm sure I'd have trouble telling them apart. I prefer the MD-III because I like my lenses smaller and lighter and I like the overall look of the plain MDs more but they're probably equally good. Perhaps the MD-III vignetes more because of the 49mm filter size (I don't know, just guessing) and maybe there's a small difference in sharpness either way, but it's not something I ever noticed. I'm using them on aps-c digital with a focal reducer so I'm seeing a tiny little bit less than full frame coverage. I've not shot more than a few frames on film with either of them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I thought that the one with smaller filter might vignette a bit more, but probably not a big deal in the real world, and easy to fix in Capture One. Great glass!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, always happy to see your work! Great lens it seems, too...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Thank You Dog Thank You Dog Thank You Dog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waterfall pix is great, thanks for share.