Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Neewer 35mm f/1.2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Neewer 35mm f/1.2 Reply with quote

Neewer 35mm f/1.2

Another cheap Chinese lens.

_1010934 by luisalegria, on Flickr

_1010932 by luisalegria, on Flickr

Picked this up on a whim. I was intending to buy the 7Artisans 35mm f/1.2, but I saw this one was considerably cheaper - about $110 vs $145, yes I am a cheap bastard. I also saw there were few reviews on the web or Youtube. So feeling a sense of adventure ...

Its very much like the usual cheap Chinese lens. Its all-metal, metal mount, decent focus mechanism, clickless aperture, etc. It looks a very great deal like the Neewer and Meike (and other brands too) 35mm f/1.7, and I suspect they all come from the same factory. It is not as compact and stylish as the 7Artisans 35/1.2, which I regret. The curious bit for which I've seen no explanation is its got the bayonet lugs for a hood, I suppose. But no hood has been offered and there is no specification for a third party hood. A mystery.

Performance - this pleases me, though it isn't technically perfect. Its more than sharp and contrasty enough, even at f/1.2, for my taste anyway. It is APS-C only of course. It shoots reasonable "flat" subjects even at low light, with not very good corners, but that can be worked around. Its got about the same DOF and light as a 50mm f/1.8 on a Speedbooster, but with better corners and is more compact. It is an f/1.2, and that is indeed a considerable advantage in the dark. I have also taken to keeping a polarizer on it in daylight to cut down light so I don't need to stop down. It does need a hood, it does flare, and the front element is not very recessed so it needs protection.

Everything at f/1.2

DSC03057 by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC03069 by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC03117 by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC03245x by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC03073 by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC03119bw by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC03122bw by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC03234bw by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC03241bw by luisalegria, on Flickr

Flowers cropped to enhance bokeh -

DSC03120 by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC03164 by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC03183y by luisalegria, on Flickr

The bird

DSC03203 by luisalegria, on Flickr

Crop

DSC03203crop by luisalegria, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good Luis, well up to your usual high standards of photography, and your talent of getting good images from crappy lenses. So, we have to ask the question, is this lens a better bang for your buck than a classic old lens for the same price?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no older lens of this type for such a price that I know of.
The best alternative for a similar result (on APS-C) is a 50/1.8 with a Speedbooster/focal reducer.

That's cheap enough, and overall a comparable cost, but with some compromises.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
There is no older lens of this type for such a price that I know of.
The best alternative for a similar result (on APS-C) is a 50/1.8 with a Speedbooster/focal reducer.

That's cheap enough, and overall a comparable cost, but with some compromises.

Interesting assessment Louis. We must surely accept that 'progress' will make better lenses, the kit lens of my Sony's and my old Pentax K10, are way better than the old Canon kit lens on my EOS600 ( which has to be said, was dire! ) But are we ( some of us? ) still automatically equating a cheap Chinese product as being 'junk'? It looks that way.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Substitute "inexpensive" for "cheap"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, Luis at its usual high standard, well done my friend!!
Like 1 Like 1 Like 1
Guess I'll have a look at this lens...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very informative review and excellent samples--much appreciated Luis! Although the Chinese have been doing this for some time, it's still hard to believe one can get lenses as fast as these for these low prices--such a boon for people like us. Best jt