Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Nikon 70-150 3.5 E-Series Lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: The Nikon 70-150 3.5 E-Series Lens Reply with quote

The Nikon 70-150mm 3.5 is a very nice short to medium tele: only trouble is finding one without zoom creep.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite beautiful.
Nikon E lenses are mostly underrated and good performers.
T

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I should use mine, thanks for the reminder.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Quite beautiful.
T

Agreed: IME, nearly all lenses are underrated & good performers. I've shot Nikon, Canon, Sony, Minolta, Fuji and others--I have owned and brokered hundreds of lenses in the process. The differences between the lenses (if we are talking lenses with no issues) are unimportant. What is important, is light and composition. This is why a picture from the 1800s can be an awesome picture, even though the glass used to make it would be seen as inferior by today's tools and typical opinions. Best JT

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focusthrow wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Quite beautiful.
T

Agreed: IME, nearly all lenses are underrated & good performers. I've shot Nikon, Canon, Sony, Minolta, Fuji and others--I have owned and brokered hundreds of lenses in the process. The differences between the lenses (if we are talking lenses with no issues) are unimportant. What is important, is light and composition. This is why a picture from the 1800s can be an awesome picture, even though the glass used to make it would be seen as inferior by today's tools and typical opinions. Best JT

Yes, you have nailed it there.
Too many people don't get to know a lens in a way that can discover its strengths.
Not all lenses are great, but most will show up well if their best qualities are used to advantage.
One thing is for sure - most bad photographs are not the fault of the lens Smile
T

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I might be wrong with my bad memory, but IIRC someone said Kiron made this lens for Nikon.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my limited experience with older Nikon zooms, they all creep. I'll use a wide rubber band, positioned between the barrel and collar, if I need to prevent creep. Which is seldom for me.

Pros discovered this lens as far back as the 1980s, quickly realizing it was ideal for portraiture. One result of this is often you'll encounter copies of this lens that are flat worn out, they've been used so much. So obviously, if you have a clean example, you should realize it is something to be prized. And those brilliant photos of Focusthrow's show why.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Well I might be wrong with my bad memory, but IIRC someone said Kiron made this lens for Nikon.

Here's the corresponding "Nikkor Tale No 42":
https://imaging.nikon.com/history/story/0042/index.htm

Stephan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

Stephan

It was probably the Kironkid (Russ) who said Kiron made the Series E 75-150 (to their design) and who supplied the glass is anyone's guess. While I was over the Kiron Klub site https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Kiron-Klub/search/messages?query=nikon%2075-150 and looking at old posts, some guys have compared the Series E to Kiron's F4 ver and they say the Kiron was sharper (or every bit as sharp) and doesn't suffer from zoom creep...h'mm but aren't Kiron lenses known for oil creep (if that's the word).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
stevemark wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

Stephan

It was probably the Kironkid (Russ) who said Kiron made the Series E 75-150 (to their design) and who supplied the glass is anyone's guess. While I was over the Kiron Klub site https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Kiron-Klub/search/messages?query=nikon%2075-150 and looking at old posts, some guys have compared the Series E to Kiron's F4 ver and they say the Kiron was sharper (or every bit as sharp) and doesn't suffer from zoom creep...h'mm but aren't Kiron lenses known for oil creep (if that's the word).

Firstly, thanks to all for the complements. As for Kiron making this lens, yes, that is a longstanding rumor on the Internet. But, when I search for authentication of it, I only find posts by the "Kiron Kid" asserting this claim. I'm not sure what the source is for KK's claim, but I see no reason to deny its possibility.

I've owned a few Kiron zooms, one of which is the 70-150 f/3.5 (I still own it--will have to post some stuff with it someday). This Kiron glass, indeed, has no zoom creep and makes beautiful pics: IMO, it's built better than the Nikon E 75-150 f/3.5. It is smaller and lighter too--great for the kind of big hikes I often do. However, the Nikon does seem to perform a little better in overall rendering in most conditions--just my opinion obviously. jt

Edit for an add-on: In my experience, Kiron's oil-on-the-blades plague is mostly a concern for their wide angle primes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
In my limited experience with older Nikon zooms, they all creep. I'll use a wide rubber band, positioned between the barrel and collar, if I need to prevent creep. Which is seldom for me.

Pros discovered this lens as far back as the 1980s, quickly realizing it was ideal for portraiture. One result of this is often you'll encounter copies of this lens that are flat worn out, they've been used so much. So obviously, if you have a clean example, you should realize it is something to be prized. And those brilliant photos of Focusthrow's show why.

Thanks for the kind words--agreed with what you say about the lens. For the zoom creep, I placed long rectangular slivers of duct tape along the entire run of the push-pull zone. Initially, this eliminated the creep, but the tape has worn some from being squished out and much of its effectiveness is gone. But, as you say, one can usually work around the creep, particularly for a lens which performs this well and has such excellent utility. Best jt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Nikon 70-150 3.5 E-Series Lens Reply with quote

Focusthrow wrote:
The Nikon 70-150mm 3.5 is a very nice short to medium tele: only trouble is finding one without zoom creep.

If one doesn't need f3.5, the Minolta MD-III 4/75-150mm is quite a bit smaller and lighter (445g). Build quality is better (no zoom creep!). In addition it has a better corner resolution, especially at 150mm, and slightly more contrast.

The Canon nFD 4.5/70-150mm is an excellent lens as well. Very sharp wide open, nearly no CAs, but one stop slower than the Nikkor and even slightly heavier (530g).

I prefer both the Minolta MD and the Canon FD over the Zoom Nikkor.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Nikon 70-150 3.5 E-Series Lens Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Focusthrow wrote:

If one doesn't need f3.5, the Minolta MD-III 4/75-150mm is quite a bit smaller and lighter (445g). Build quality is better (no zoom creep!). In addition it has a better corner resolution, especially at 150mm, and slightly more contrast.

The Canon nFD 4.5/70-150mm is an excellent lens as well. Very sharp wide open, nearly no CAs, but one stop slower than the Nikkor and even slightly heavier (530g).

I prefer both the Minolta MD and the Canon FD over the Zoom Nikkor.

This is interesting--thanks. I could use a better made zoom in this range for my Fuji xe-1: the Nikon 75-150 E feels awkward on the little mirror-less. But, for my Fx Nikon body I'll stick with the E zoom & Kiron zooms. Also, living without f/3.5 would be ok, except that it is so good on the 75-150mm that I would miss it. One last sample with the 75-150 E.