Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kodak Retina IIc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:41 am    Post subject: Kodak Retina IIc Reply with quote

Hello all. I am new here and new to a lot of older manual focus lens types outside of Nikon or Canon.

I am looking to get a Kodak Retina IIc camera. I know there is a Schneider/Kodak Retina Curtar 35/f5.6 lens available for this camera. I was wondering if it is possible to place a:

Schneider 35mm F/4 Curtar-Xenon (EXAMPLE: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kodak-Retina-Curtar-Xenon-RED-C-35MM-F5-6-lens-with-plastic-case/273481441816?hash=item3facc3a218:g:rr0AAOSw4shX3vOv)
or a
Schneider 35mm F/2.8 Retina - Curtagon (EXAMPLE: https://usedphotopro.com/schneider-35mm-f2-8-retina-curtagon-lens-35-2-8-for-kodak-reflex-185006?source=category)
onto this camera.

The camera I am looking has a shutter that isnt as accurate at the slower speeds and was simply looking for a faster lens as just one way to compensate for that.
I hope this is a valid question.
And I appreciate any help if possible.
Robert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:45 am    Post subject: oops Reply with quote

I thought I was posting this into this thread:

http://forum.mflenses.com/schneider-kreuznach-curtagon-12-8-35-questions-t75111.html

Sorry for the misplaced discussion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Retina IIc you need the f/5.6 lens, the f/2.8 lens you refer to is for the Retina IIIS and the later Retina Reflex cameras.

Be aware that your camera must have a Schneider lens fitted to use this f/5.6 lens, as part of the optics remains in the camera at all times. If you camera has the somewhat rarer Rodenstock lens you need the (very scarce and expensive) Rodenstock element.

Also be aware that this model has no built-in viewfinder frames for a 35mm lens. You'll need an auxiliary viewfinder to fit in the accessory shoe.

I have used and still own this equipment. It's all very high quality Smile

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick "me too" here. I also own a Retina IIc and I love it. I'd say that eBay listing for the above 35/5.6 is a good deal. I'd go for it, if I were you.

Here's a viewfinder for both the 35mm and 80mm lenses.
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick PS:

Remember that the auxiliary lenses on the folding Retinas are NOT rangefinder coupled. You need to focus using the rangefinder in the camera, then transfer this setting to the auxiliary lens. Also, the camera will not fold shut with the auxiliary lens fitted.

None of this detracts from the quality of the equipment or the photographic results, but just thought I'd mention it 'cos it can slow things down a bit Wink

There's an html version of "The Retina Guide" that I prepared some years ago, now hosted on a different site here http://kodak.3106.net/index.php?p=301&cam=916 that you may find interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schneider-35mm-F-4-Curtar-Xenon-C-Lens-For-Kodak-Retina-58/372423569299?hash=item56b62caf93:g:zVAAAOSwtltbjCIh:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!22192!US!-1

The 35mm F4 can also be used with the Schneider Xenon equipped IIc. It is much bigger than the F5.6 lens, but no bigger than the 80/4 front group.

The lenses are slow to use- as stated, you focus with the Rangefinder and then use the distance scale to transfer the range from the 50mm scale to the wide or tele scale. Slow, but it works and the results are good. You cannot fold the camera with any of the auxiliary lenses attached.

If you can find a IIC (big C) framelines are built in for 35/50/80.

IIC, in the middle. I just replaced the cocking rack. That was "not easy", but instructions are online.

Capital_Gang by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
For the Retina IIc you need the f/5.6 lens, the f/2.8 lens you refer to is for the Retina IIIS and the later Retina Reflex cameras.

Be aware that your camera must have a Schneider lens fitted to use this f/5.6 lens, as part of the optics remains in the camera at all times. If you camera has the somewhat rarer Rodenstock lens you need the (very scarce and expensive) Rodenstock element.

Also be aware that this model has no built-in viewfinder frames for a 35mm lens. You'll need an auxiliary viewfinder to fit in the accessory shoe.

I have used and still own this equipment. It's all very high quality Smile

Enjoy.

Thank you!
Yes, the camera I am looking at has a Schneider lens. And I have been able to get a hold of the 35-80 Multifinder.
Thank you for you the reply!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Just a quick "me too" here. I also own a Retina IIc and I love it. I'd say that eBay listing for the above 35/5.6 is a good deal. I'd go for it, if I were you.

Here's a viewfinder for both the 35mm and 80mm lenses.
Click here to see on Ebay

Thank you! Appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
Just a quick PS:

Remember that the auxiliary lenses on the folding Retinas are NOT rangefinder coupled. You need to focus using the rangefinder in the camera, then transfer this setting to the auxiliary lens. Also, the camera will not fold shut with the auxiliary lens fitted.

None of this detracts from the quality of the equipment or the photographic results, but just thought I'd mention it 'cos it can slow things down a bit Wink

There's an html version of "The Retina Guide" that I prepared some years ago, now hosted on a different site here http://kodak.3106.net/index.php?p=301&cam=916 that you may find interesting.

Wow, that guide is great. Thank you!
I will definitely need to take an extra second or two to think about how the auxiliary pieces work with the camera.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiftyonepointsix wrote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schneider-35mm-F-4-Curtar-Xenon-C-Lens-For-Kodak-Retina-58/372423569299?hash=item56b62caf93:g:zVAAAOSwtltbjCIh:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!22192!US!-1

The 35mm F4 can also be used with the Schneider Xenon equipped IIc. It is much bigger than the F5.6 lens, but no bigger than the 80/4 front group.

The lenses are slow to use- as stated, you focus with the Rangefinder and then use the distance scale to transfer the range from the 50mm scale to the wide or tele scale. Slow, but it works and the results are good. You cannot fold the camera with any of the auxiliary lenses attached.

If you can find a IIC (big C) framelines are built in for 35/50/80.

IIC, in the middle. I just replaced the cocking rack. That was "not easy", but instructions are online.

Capital_Gang by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Do I need to move focus to infinity as well before trying to close lens bay?
Cocking rack? Film advance lever?
Those are three gorgeous cameras. Very nice. Does the light meter work?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The focus must be moved to infinity to close the folding Retinas. Also remember that the advance lever locks in place when the film counter has counted down to "1". I bought a couple of Ebay cameras "Used to work, but just jammed up". So many, that I started sending messages to sellers on how to fix the "problem".

The meters work, and are accurate. The "Cocking Rack" is an internal part used in the shutter cocking gear train. It is the achilles heel of the Retina series of cameras.

https://retinarescue.com/retinarack.html

Getting the rack sync'd up with the gear of the shutter, the last step- was most time consuming. The cocking rack itself is still available from microtools.

All three of these cameras required work- but well worth it. All basically not-working/ for parts. $100 for the three. The shutters are easily flood-cleaned after removing the front and rear lens groups. The viewfinders tend to fog up, and need to be cleaned. The IIc is not hard to pop-the-top and clean.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Two IIICs and a IIC for a hundred bux? What a deal, even if they weren't working. Glad to read you've got them back to working order, though. I'd love to have a IIC one day. They must be rarer than the IIIC because they're a lot more expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a IIc with the Schneider 50/2.8 and 35/5.6
I haven't shot a frame with it.
My original intent was to shoot it on my NEX-7, but I didn't have the heart to cut into a camera in such great condition.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera on the left is a "1B"- but does look closer to the IIIC. So, a 1B, IIC, and IIIC.

The 1B has a 50/2.8 Xenar, meter, and projected briight line viewfinder.

Kodak's naming conventions are confusing, much like Canon and Leica screw mount cameras.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Kodak_Retina_IIc