Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My 1958 Jupiter-9 from Retro Foto House (85mm f/2.0)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: My 1958 Jupiter-9 from Retro Foto House (85mm f/2.0) Reply with quote

This thread is about my 1958 Jupiter-9, how I got it, and how I experience it.

I've been dealing on a semi-regular basis with Roman from Ukraine. Recently, he handled 2 special requests from me. First, he performed a CLA & adjustment to Leica standard of my 1952 Jupiter 3 (I sent it to him; I was extremely happy with the work, but more on that in another thread Smile

After this, I contacted Roman, if he could search a pre-1960 KMZ Jupiter 9 (in LTM) for me, and adjust it to Leica, so I could further complete my collection of LTM KMZ Jupiters adjusted to Leica.

Well, I was lucky, very soon he found an extremely clean 1958 Jupiter-9. The front element looks like new, not even the usual "cleaning marks". I'll have to look for a really good clear filter for this one, so I can preserve the pristine condition.

A few pics of the lens and the viewfinder that comes with it. The front element is in newlike condition.

Well, enough talk, lets see some pics (and a few more observations later); all done with my M Monochrom (CCD-version), with a small lens hood. Some very small adjustments in Capture 1 (no sharpening, structure, etc!)

I quickly did a focus&bokeh-test. I may have slightly missed focus on the bulb after the focus&recompose here...

As expected, it's a perfect portrait lens...
f/2:

But it also is fine with many different subject matters...

On the lens itself I can tell the following:

it's excellent for portraits, but also for other subjects, street, etc.
the bokeh is really nice
t's light for a fast 85mm due to aluminium construction
On the calibration to Leica, there is a small challenge. In Roman's own words:

But adjusting for leica is challenging. Rangefinder calibration is not linear. I was forced to make a choice: exact correspondance rangefinder-real focus from minimal distance(1.1 m) to 2 m approx. Or from 2m-infinity. Full range can't be achieved. So I've chosen 2m-infinity. It means that in this range correspondance is exact and lens focuses properly. In the same time at close focusing there is misalignment a bit, it means optical rangefinder says it is focused, but in reality lens should be focused a bit closer.

From 2m-infinity, focus is accurate on Leica with rangefinder, but for 1.1-2m, a camera with live view can be used, or e.g. a smaller aperture.

So this is really for people who want to use J9 on Leica. (like me ) Others better use the lens on camera with live view (Fuji, Sony,...) or on FED/Zorki, and can also save the trouble for the calibration to Leica-standard.

Those interested in soviet-lenses can check Roman's youtube-channel with a lot of videos on Soviet lenses: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtjL20VhUKWrntdWe6TVxGw/videos or you can contact him directly by email retrofotohouse@gmail.com or visit his store: https://www.ebay.com/str/vintagephotoequipmentandother

His prices are not necessarily the lowest, but some things are more important than just the lowest price. Also, the charges for the work on my Jupiters were extremely reasonable.

Lastly, a funny detail: the stars this lens produces have MANY points... thanks to the 15-bladed aperture. Some people are into that... see below shot (f/8 or so) + 100% crop:

100%-crop:

For fun, a more distant object against bright background, at f/2 and f/8:

and to get an idea of bokeh at f/4, still plenty of separation from the background:

...and a quick street-snap, just missed the focus on the rollerskaters (and/or a bit of motion blur)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pic #4 is so good sjak. Nicely done man Like 1 .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice find!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1958 Jupiter-9 from Retro Foto House (85mm f/2.0) Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:

...and a quick street-snap, just missed the focus on the rollerskaters (and/or a bit of motion blur)

Like 1 Like 1

Very nice pictures, especially the portraits. In the picture with the roller skaters, where do you think the focus lay: just behind or just in front of the roller skaters?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a fine looking lens for its age.
It seems to handle the light that you have used rather well.
I think it will be good for portraits
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one I use with the Contax / Kiev, from 1957. I was lucky to find one in the USA that had a recent CLA. Excellent lens, fun to use. Congratulations, you have really good results in your samples.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone Thank You Dog

I'm indeed very happy with this lens Tuzki with lens

When I read other peoples' experiences with this lens, I think it is one of the lenses with the most sample variation, especially the SLR-versions. But it pays off to not go for the cheapest option, but instead aim at finding a jewel, like this one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A portrait I made today Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite special kind of lens, isn´t it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spleenone wrote:
Quite special kind of lens, isn´t it?
It is!

For some situations, it's not very well suited (mostly crowded streets) but when I have more room, it's excellent. The difficulty with this foal was that he was moving a lot to within 2 meters, and missed focus due to the calibration. Of course, on a TTL-view this would not be an issue. But for slowing down and enjoyimg some laidback shots, I love this lens. A keeper Tuzki with lens

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
When I read other peoples' experiences with this lens, I think it is one of the lenses with the most sample variation, especially the SLR-versions. But it pays off to not go for the cheapest option, but instead aim at finding a jewel, like this one.

I've got a 1962 LZOS Jupiter-9 (8,5cm red "P") with a blue/purple coating on the front element and it's amazing.

I've seen shots posted from other J9s, and they don't even look like they come from the same lens - super soft with unpleasant glowy highlights.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
I've seen shots posted from other J9s, and they don't even look like they come from the same lens - super soft with unpleasant glowy highlights.
Indeed. A bit of glow is characteristic of old fast lenses, but there's a limit to what is actually flattering...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:

A good method to avoid that:

That's my version from 1963.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
KEO wrote:
Indeed. A bit of glow is characteristic of old fast lenses, but there's a limit to what is actually flattering...

Agreed! Your shots with your J9 are excellent, by the way.

tb_a wrote:
A good method to avoid that:
That's my version from 1963.

True. I always just use an old 49mm Takumar lens hood (nice and deep), and I never have trouble.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 copies of this lens, both silver; the first, a Contax version from 1961 with a custom metal adapter to Fuji, and an m39 KMZ from 1960 that I got from Retro Photo House. Both very good. I haven’t done a side-by-size comparison, I’ve used one or the other. I was frankly surprised just how good they are. I usually dial it back slightly from wide open, either 2.8 or halfway between 2 and 2.8. When I nail focus, they are pin sharp, with fantastic bokeh. Again, it is mostly because it is said to have a soft ‘portrait’ look wide open, I haven’t done any sharpness testing at different apertures, just simple bokeh tests, which are stellar.