Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Prewar - Fed 50mm f/3.5 macro m39 mount PT5620
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Prewar - Fed 50mm f/3.5 macro m39 mount PT5620 Reply with quote

Just bought a Prewar Fed 50mm macro. I don't expect much from this old lens, but does anybody have any experience with this old piece of glass? Surprised

Last edited by Nordentro on Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a photo of the lens? (Haven't even seen one, only have a post-war version in M42, which is probably a different design.)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the lens i bought:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be excellent, for sure good as than same aged Leica, not sure it is pre-war or not. Congrats!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I have a very similar 100mm lens (similar shape, similar inscription), which was sold to me as a pre-war lens. Much heavier than later lenses, so that might be an indication that it is indeed pre-war (made of brass rather than aluminium).

So your lens is a MACRO, right? (Can't decipher that part of the inscription.)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this info on USSRphoto.com:

"Special macro lens for the FED 1938/1939 production. This special lens is not rangefinder coupled but goes from infinity up to 1:1 scales in continuous focusing. The optics is the renowned Industar 10 3.5/50."

http://www.ussrphoto.com/wiki/default.asp?WikiCatID=87&ParentID=2&ContentID=457&Item=FED+macro+Industar+10

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did some search on the net, too, and it seems that these three pre-war lenses are frequently mentioned:
1. the one you have, which is indeed a macro,
2. the f/6.3 100mm,
3. collapsible f/2 50.

There is also a rare f/4.5 28mm.

They say you've got to be careful with the thread as it was made to a different pitch than more recent ones.
As with old Leicas, the camera and lens had to be matched, because film-to-flange distance wasn't standardised.
Also:

'They do not RF focus. There are two scales one marked "M" that goes from 2 to 20 and a second marked "P" and "S" that goes from 1.5 to 105 .'

'There is a rangefinder like attachment that fits the accessory shoe, which focuses at fixed distances which are preset on the lens.'

Yeah, the question of close-focusing with a rangefinder camera is an interesting one.

Let us know if/when you got down to try it and made some pictures. Should be interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GP wrote:
I just did some search on the net, too, and it seems that these three pre-war lenses are frequently mentioned:
1. the one you have, which is indeed a macro,
2. the f/6.3 100mm,
3. collapsible f/2 50.

There is also a rare f/4.5 28mm.

They say you've got to be careful with the thread as it was made to a different pitch than more recent ones.
As with old Leicas, the camera and lens had to be matched, because film-to-flange distance wasn't standardised.
Also:

'They do not RF focus. There are two scales one marked "M" that goes from 2 to 20 and a second marked "P" and "S" that goes from 1.5 to 105 .'

'There is a rangefinder like attachment that fits the accessory shoe, which focuses at fixed distances which are preset on the lens.'

Yeah, the question of close-focusing with a rangefinder camera is an interesting one.

Let us know if/when you got down to try it and made some pictures. Should be interesting.

I will use it on my OM-D. I guess I will have the lens in a couple of weeks. I also have the 100mm, and it screws nicely into the adapter. I am also looking for the 28mm, but prices seem to be sky high Wink

I will post samples straight from the camera when I get it! Very Happy

It is the first macro lens I have ever had within the rangfinder segment Very Happy

Thx for the digging!

Cheers Lars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

"Special macro lens for the FED 1938/1939 production. This special lens is not rangefinder coupled but goes from infinity up to 1:1 scales in continuous focusing. The optics is the renowned Industar 10 3.5/50."

http://www.ussrphoto.com/wiki/default.asp?WikiCatID=87&ParentID=2&ContentID=457&Item=FED+macro+Industar+10

Sound cool, all Russian pre-war is rare and valuable to collectors.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

I will use it on my OM-D. I guess I will have the lens in a couple of weeks. I also have the 100mm, and it screws nicely into the adapter. I am also looking for the 28mm, but prices seem to be sky high Wink

It is the first macro lens I have ever had within the rangfinder segment Very Happy

Thx for the digging!

Cheers Lars

Great stuff! I'm looking forward to the results and what you learn from your experiments.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

Sound cool, all Russian pre-war is rare and valuable to collectors.

I couldn't resist, I got a good price too I think Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GP wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

Thx for the digging!

Cheers Lars

Great stuff! I'm looking forward to the results and what you learn from your experiments.

I will update with samples as soon as I get it Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smallest macro lens I have and much better performance than expected from this old little lens Wink

100% from above picture

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my goodness. This is sharp for such old lens.
Lovely rendering, contrast and bokeh.
What a find !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results, that's a fine lens. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful lens it seems Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW superb. well done getting this gem!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, very nice results for a 75 year old lens! Very Happy

Looks like the USSR could make lenses even before the war:)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results. I envy you a lot, because these pre-war lenses are my favorite lenses of the whole Russian arsenal. All of them where made very well. The F2/50mm FED is considered to be the best RF russian lens. It even outshines the Jupiter brothers. As for these macro lenses - they are rare , take my word for it !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drack wrote:
Great results. I envy you a lot, because these pre-war lenses are my favorite lenses of the whole Russian arsenal. All of them where made very well. The F2/50mm FED is considered to be the best RF russian lens. It even outshines the Jupiter brothers. As for these macro lenses - they are rare , take my word for it !

I was lucky, it was badly listed on Ebay! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got to see your pictures. I had to gasp for air - the results are truly amazing! (Was that fly dead, or just very patient? Smile

Now I wonder how it would compare with the 100mm lens. They say it's also quite sharp.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GP wrote:
I just got to see your pictures. I had to gasp for air - the results are truly amazing! (Was that fly dead, or just very patient? Smile

Now I wonder how it would compare with the 100mm lens. They say it's also quite sharp.

Thx, the fly was sunbathing in the evening sun Wink
The 100mm is doing okey, it is a decent lens for its age but not as good as the postwar Canon Ltm 100mm or Pen f 100mm Smile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a cool find! The lens looks so cool and the images you posted are awesome!!

Congrats!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari wrote:
What a cool find! The lens looks so cool and the images you posted are awesome!!

Congrats!

Thx Hari, yes it was a surprise to me. I didn't really expect much Wink

I still have your old Volna 9 too Very Happy