Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Topcor 58mm f/1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Has anyone ever observed any real difference in performance among the different versions?

A conclusive test would possible for somebody who owns (multiple) pieces of both versions - the old 990xxxxx and the modern 116xxxxx...

We can compare one old vs three new Topcors here:

This Takumar vs Topcor 990xxxxx test was done with A7, on tripod, self-timered and focused on the red crane.

You can compare the results with those done at stevemark's test of Takumar vs Topcor 116xxxxx http://forum.mflenses.com/smc-pentax-50-1-4-vs-topcor-58-1-8-t79001,start,39.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Has anyone ever observed any real difference in performance among the different versions?

I seriously doubt there's much difference, they were very consistent. The US Navy purchased many of these lenses for surveillance, with stock specs, for at least 12 years back in the day.

Happy to report I finally bought a 58/1.8 s/n 990xxxxx. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, I look forward to seeing some shots from it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

99005073 serial number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: My copy doesn't seem to fall in any of the # ranges Reply with quote

My copy doesn't seem to fall in any of the # ranges. Can anyone pass along any info on one with serial No. 287586?

Here's an image with my copy of the Topcon 5.8cm f1.8 shot from the deck of my house.

Thx!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you have a RE Auto Topcor? Do you have a picture of this lens?

I have always wondered about the 58 1.4. I have the 58 1.8
However, with the 58 1.4 selling for ~$150 and the 58 1.8 for ~$50
I don't see the extra light gathering worth the premium unless the 58 1.4
has some magical rendering.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a much earlier lens than we have mostly been talking about, it's earlier than my 5.8cm/1.8 #632468 which was my dad's.(Which suffers from separation).

https://www.wesellyourcollection.com/topcon/product/07-topcon-r-sn-157746-with-auto-topcor-58cm-118-lens-sn-287739-set-of-boxed-topcon-r-assesory/
(FYI nothing is for sale on that site, it's just a persons collection)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
Are you sure you have a RE Auto Topcor? Do you have a picture of this lens?

I have always wondered about the 58 1.4. I have the 58 1.8
However, with the 58 1.4 selling for ~$150 and the 58 1.8 for ~$50
I don't see the extra light gathering worth the premium unless the 58 1.4
has some magical rendering.

It's a bigger lens for sure, it's a legend for a reason, it's why Voigtlander made a copy with permission from Topcon:

https://cameraquest.com/Voigt%20SL.htm
Quote:
December 2003: Ok folks, some things are stranger than fiction. Mr. Kobayashi likes his Topcon Super D of 1963 enough to style Voigtlander's new silver Bessaflex after it, even producing a Topcon style 58/1.4 complete with the Topcon engraving. Mr. Kobayashi received the blessings of Tokyo Optical, which is still in business manufacturing medical equipment. This lens developed a legendary status in Japan.

The new Voigtlander 58/1.4 Topcor is a new optical design and styled after the classic 58/1.4 Topcor, even down to the Topcor's bayonet on lens hood. These are limited edition lenses, with 800 each announced to be produced in Pentax 42mm screw mount and Nikon AI mount. The lens barrel is out of place in today's plastic lens world, with real classic style chrome, looking just like it came off Topcon's production line in the 1960's. The lens barrel is beautifully made, and rather amazing in the "find any way to make it cheaper" manufacturing times. Side by side the new Topcor is a bit smaller than the original, so the hoods will not interchange. Specs: 7 elements in 6 groups, multi-coated, f/1.4 to f/16, 9 aperture leaves, 58mm filter size, close focus to .45 meter or 1:5.8, weight 305 grams (Nikon).

Only the 1.8 is no slouch either, both perform at a higher level than most from that era, even today many lenses struggle to get a lens to be razor sharp wide open, most need to be stopped down some.

Klaus posted a nice comparison of sorts:
http://forum.mflenses.com/re-auto-topcor-f1-8-58mm-t59371.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/re-auto-topcor-f1-4-58mm-t59305.html

Honestly I think any of Topcon's 58mm lenses are amazing(assuming there are no issues)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with the 58 3.5 macro agrees. I need some cash now and have been selling dribs and drabs of things. I considered selling my black 58 1.8 but then when I researched the market went, nope, maybe I'll buy some more!