Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sharp 35mm f/2 for Sony A7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Sharp 35mm f/2 for Sony A7 Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm looking for a sharp 35mm f/2 with decent bokeh for my Sony A7.
I have about 250$ as a budget.
I would prefer something not too difficult to find in good conditions.

- Minolta: Rokkor 35mm f/1,8 seems a great lens but my Minolta 50mm has low contrast wide open, don't know about this one.
- Nikon: Nikkor 35mm f/2 but which version ? AI, AI-S, AF-D... ?
- Canon: Is the Canon FD 35mm f/2 so good ? I don't know much about FD's.
- Konica 35mm f/2 seems excellent but almost impossible to find for reasonable price.
- Pentax: is there an affordable and good 35mm f/2 ?
- m42: Don't want CJZ Flektogon, too difficult to find in good conditions. I don't know about others except Mir24 which is nice but not what I'm looking for.

Thank you for your help !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar (Komine) 35mm f1.9 - a superb lens. It should have been labeled as one of their Series 1 lenses!

I don't have any experience with it on full frame, only APS-C.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I have the 28mm f/2 and it's very sharp, but I don't like it's bokeh. The 35mm f/1,9 seems to have special bokeh too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the 7Artisans 2.0/35. A new lens with modern glass and coatings, using CAD/CAM production for a well machined, good performing full frame 35mm lens in Sony E mount. Priced under $180.00 US.

It is based on a Biogon design, essentially a wide-angle Sonnar. Like any sonnar, center sharpness is excellent where edges/corners fall off. More of a portraiture, reportage, street lens than a landscape or architecture lens.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for a SMC Pentax-K 35mm 3.5, you won't be disappointed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentax FA 35/2 is also very good on Sony A7. The lens delivers superb image quality, with lots of local contrast thanks to its modern coatings. The only problem is the price, as the lens goes for about $600 new. But you should be able to find a nice used FA 35/2 within your budget with a little shopping around.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the Nikkor AI 2/35 and the Canon FD 2/35 SSC (concave) and they are both excellent lenses.
It is hard to recommend one over the other, so whichever one you can find for the best price.
The Canon seems to sell for more than the Nikkor, but that is likely because of its collectable value rather than its ability.
As I said - both are good and can be found within your budget
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
I have used the Nikkor AI 2/35 and the Canon FD 2/35 SSC (concave) and they are both excellent lenses.
It is hard to recommend one over the other, so whichever one you can find for the best price.
The Canon seems to sell for more than the Nikkor, but that is likely because of its collectable value rather than its ability.
As I said - both are good and can be found within your budget
Tom

I own the Nikon AIS 35/2 and have been more than pleased about everything -- handling, sharpness, bokeh, build. Definitely within your budget, and worth every penny.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your help.

7artisans has two 35mm f/2.
I read that the one for mirrorless is ok, but the one for Leica M far better... ?

I want f/2 or brighter, and usable wide open.

I'll look for Pentax FA 35mm if I can find one for a decent price, or I may try the Nikkor.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the sharpest and with a nice rendering is the FD 35/2 (concave front element).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an early 35mm f2 Nikon F mount lens on the A7II and have been very happy with the results. In fact, I use the 20mm f3.5, 24mm f2 and 35mm f2 all in F mount and they all work very well with the Sony sensor.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concave element FD 35mm f/2 is radioactive... Don't know if I mind.

Have a few Nikkors and love them, so why not the 35mm f/2.

I was about to purchase the 7artisans 35mm f/2 for Leica M which seems promising, but it has minimum focus distance of 70cm. I cannot do with that and good helicoid adapters go for about 150$, a lot of money for a quite cheap lens.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Sharp 35mm f/2 for Sony A7 Reply with quote

MMouse wrote:
Hello,

I'm looking for a sharp 35mm f/2 with decent bokeh for my Sony A7.

Should it be ...
1) sharp in the center with high contrast, wide open; and very sharp in the corners at f8 ... f11?
2) as sharp as possible in the corners, wide open and at f2.8?

These are slightly different scenarios, and some lenses are better at 1), others at 2).

MMouse wrote:
I have about 250$ as a budget.
I would prefer something not too difficult to find in good conditions.

- Minolta: Rokkor 35mm f/1,8 seems a great lens but my Minolta 50mm has low contrast wide open, don't know about this one.

Nearly all fast vintage lenses are bit soft wide open. The two Minolta 1.8/35mm constructions are no exception.
MMouse wrote:

- Nikon: Nikkor 35mm f/2 but which version ? AI, AI-S, AF-D... ?

I have both the AiS 2/35mm as well the AiS 1.4/35mm; the f2 is OK but no better than the other f2 or f1.8 lenses; the 35mm f1.4 Nikkor is a character lens, and even stopped down to f5.6 not overwhelming at all.

MMouse wrote:

- Canon: Is the Canon FD 35mm f/2 so good ? I don't know much about FD's.

There are three computations: FD 2/35mm "concave" (with radioactive Thorium lens); the FD 2/35mm "convex" and the newFD 2/35mm. I have the latter two; their resolution is quite similar to the Minolta, but colors are "flatter".

MMouse wrote:

- Konica 35mm f/2 seems excellent but almost impossible to find for reasonable price.

All Konica AR 2/35mm share the same optical construction, though coatings may be different. I have the newest version of the AR 2/35mm, and it's performance is the worst of the 2/35mm and 1.8/35mm lenses i own. This is no surprise; the design is the most ancient (early 1960s), followed by the Nikkor 1.4/35mm (its optical design is surprisingly similar to to Konica AR 2/35mm!!). Either a collectors item or to be used if "vintage look" is required Wink

MMouse wrote:

- Pentax: is there an affordable and good 35mm f/2 ?

I have an Pentax-M 2/35mm, but never tested it in depth. Very small lens, even smaller than the Minolta MD-III 1.8/35mm.

MMouse wrote:

- m42: Don't want CJZ Flektogon, too difficult to find in good conditions. I don't know about others except Mir24 which is nice but not what I'm looking for.

Thank you for your help !

I have quite a few vintage 35mm f2, f1.8 and f1.4 lenses, and i may quickly compare their corners at f2 and f5.6. This may give you some useful hints.

Stephan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently sold (or rather exchanged) nFD 35/2 because the corners even at closed apertures showed dark corners. But in the center of the on open diaphragm which he showed quite a sharp image of the.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more 35/2.0 options: the Olympus OM and the Contax G Planar. The Contax may be hard to find in your price range though. When looking at Canon FD lenses, there are several versions. The concave version tends to sell for more than the later models.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Minolta 35 mm 1.8 works fine for me. You can always correct contrast at full open in processing. They can live for ever.
Canon lenses are very good optically (often the best in legacy lenses) but nFD lenses mechanical quality is bad as they used plastic in focusing ring that degrades (they become wobbly) so I got rid of mine and focus on Minolta MC MD.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoine, is your Minolta 35mm f/1.8 the MC or an MD version? They have different strengths and weaknesses, so if you recommend one it is useful to know which..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a pre-AI Nikon 35/2 OC that was AI'd by Nikon. It is a very nice lens. But I must agree with DigiChromEd -- the Vivitar 35/1.9 is incredibly sharp. It has become kinda pricey now that it's been discovered by the great unwashed masses. Even so, it fits within your budget. I have one in Canon FD mount that I use with my Sony NEX 7 and I have gotten very impressive results with it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon FDn 35/2 is sharp and certainly can be used wide open.
Here is a couple of my shots with this glass, adapted through Lens Turbo II:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/curry-hexagon/albums/72157697530840635

I think these forum threads can be of interest to you:
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,t,75831.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/minolta-md-35-1-8-vs-canon-fdn-35-2-8-vs-samyang-fe-35-2-8-t78299.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for your help.
I'll wait until a good opportunity will help me decide between them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A way to get the Vivitar/1.9 for cheaper is to look for the Panagor 35/2. Exact same lens (made by Komine) sharp and contrasty from 2.8, good build quality, long focus throw, peculiar OOF rendition WO, weak flare resistance.
I paid mine 70 €.

Another beautiful MF 35/2 is the Nikon 35/2 Pre-AI (the O.C. version is multicoated). Unfortunately it's harder to find it in good mechanical shape, there's always some "wiggle" in the frame when focusing. But that's not a big deal if you don't shoot video and it's optically way better, IMO.
I paid mine 120 €.

The Pentax K 35/2 is definitely a good lens, it beats the Nikon build-quality wise and it should be more or less in the same price-range.
I sold mine in like-new conditions with the original hood for 150 €.

http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20189/10585_2_1.jpg
http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20189/10585_1_1.jpg
http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20189/10585_2_2.jpg
http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20189/10585_3_2.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
Canon FDn 35/2 is sharp and certainly can be used wide open.

Like 1

i agree

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucio wrote:
A way to get the Vivitar/1.9 for cheaper is to look for the Panagor 35/2. Exact same lens (made by Komine) sharp and contrasty from 2.8, good build quality, long focus throw, peculiar OOF rendition WO, weak flare resistance.
I paid mine 70 €.

Another beautiful MF 35/2 is the Nikon 35/2 Pre-AI (the O.C. version is multicoated). Unfortunately it's harder to find it in good mechanical shape, there's always some "wiggle" in the frame when focusing. But that's not a big deal if you don't shoot video and it's optically way better, IMO.
I paid mine 120 €.

The Pentax K 35/2 is definitely a good lens, it beats the Nikon build-quality wise and it should be more or less in the same price-range.
I sold mine in like-new conditions with the original hood for 150 €.

http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20189/10585_2_1.jpg
http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20189/10585_1_1.jpg
http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20189/10585_2_2.jpg
http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20189/10585_3_2.jpg

Is the Panagor the same as the Soligor 35mm f/2 ?

The Nikkor O is great, I tested but unfortunately old lens difficult to find in good conditions, I agree.

Pentax K 35mm seems great but it is impossible to find one outside Japan or US...
K lenses are rare and usually very expensive.
I can get the M version but I don't know if it is worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMouse wrote:

The Nikkor O is great, I tested but unfortunately old lens difficult to find in good conditions, I agree.

Pentax K 35mm seems great but it is impossible to find one outside Japan or US...
K lenses are rare and usually very expensive.
I can get the M version but I don't know if it is worth it.

I guess I lucked out on my Nikon 35/2 OC, cuz it's in near mint condition. I didn't pay much for it, either. But then I bought it back in 1990 as part of an outfit and I've taken good care of it. Mine even has the Nikon AI kit installed.

As for Pentax, I own a couple of M lenses. Their build quality is good and their optical quality is typical Pentax --i n other words, brilliant.

I took a look on eBay just now. The M42 version is plentiful and relatively cheap. The K mount lenses I found were uncommon and were mostly from Japan, so they'll probably ship most anywhere. Prices were much higher, though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Soligor 35/2 is Tokina made, it's a different lens but it's definitely in the same quality league of the Komine, except maybe for the build quality: 3 out of the 4 copies of the Soligor I tested had a little play between the helicoids, while none of the Komine 35/2 had mechanical problems.

The two MF Pentax 35/2 are very different lenses, as far as optical designs are concerned. Some people prefer the K, some people prefer the M... either way, you can't go wrong. They're both way more corrected against aberrations than the Komine and the Tokina, WO.

cooltouch wrote:
The M42 version is plentiful and relatively cheap.

As far as I know, there are no Pentax lenses in M42 mount. In M42 mount you can find the Asahi Super Takumar 35/2. The "SMC" version of this lens is again a better performer than the Komine and the Soligor, expecially wide-open. Unfortunately, in this lens there some Thorium glass elements (2, if I remember correctly) that get yellow over time and there's usually no way to make them crystal clear again. The in-camera WB will easily correct the problem, but you can loose up to 1.5 stops of light, if those glasses are very yellowed. The non "SMC" version of this lens doesn't have this problem, but it's also a weaker performer, expecially WO, and it's not multicoated. Build quality of both lenses is outstanding.