Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which 28mm for landscape photography?
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SMC Pentax 28/2 is a very different lens from the Pentax-m and Pentax-a 28/2 which are much lighter and more compact. The SMC Pentax is actually a Distagon.


PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
Nikkor 28/2, om 28/2 mc are small enough multi purpose.
Distagon 28/2, pentax 28/2, konica uc 28/1.8 are bigger and heavier.


From these 28mm 1:2 lenses i only know the Hexanon. I would not recommend it for landscape, since its corners aren't that sharp even at f5.6.

The best 28mm lens i've ever used was the Zeiss Apo Distagon 1.4/28mm. Slightly lower contrast at f1.4, but enough resolution wide open even for the 42MP A7RII corners! At about 1.5 kg this lens was way too heavy for my kind of work ... it is nearly as heavy as my FD 2.8/300mm Fluorite (1.9kg) ...


PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
hoanpham wrote:
Nikkor 28/2, om 28/2 mc are small enough multi purpose.
Distagon 28/2, pentax 28/2, konica uc 28/1.8 are bigger and heavier.


From these 28mm 1:2 lenses i only know the Hexanon. I would not recommend it for landscape, since its corners aren't that sharp even at f5.6.


H'mm interesting to know what the other Hexanon guys think.


PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't need a bright aperture, f/2,8 or even f/3,5 lens may be sharper wide open.
My 28mm f/2,8 Rokkor version III is very good, but my OM 28mm f/3,5 is better.


PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
stevemark wrote:
hoanpham wrote:
Nikkor 28/2, om 28/2 mc are small enough multi purpose.
Distagon 28/2, pentax 28/2, konica uc 28/1.8 are bigger and heavier.


From these 28mm 1:2 lenses i only know the Hexanon. I would not recommend it for landscape, since its corners aren't that sharp even at f5.6.


H'mm interesting to know what the other Hexanon guys think.



I don't own a Hexanon 28mm f2 but I do have the Hexanon 28mm f3.5 (7element) and it is a very good lens and I like it a lot. Having said that I mostly use it on my APS-C Sony A6000. What it's corners on full frame are like I don't know.


Anyway, I don't understand the obsession with how sharp a wide angle lens (or any other lens for that matter) for landscape use is at full aperture. Maybe someone shoots landscapes wide open but I, and the majority of landscape shooters I suspect, use apertures in the range of f8 to f16. To me, it's the quality of results at these apertures that interest me.


PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
I don't understand the obsession with how sharp a wide angle lens (or any other lens for that matter) for landscape use is at full aperture. Maybe someone shoots landscapes wide open but I, and the majority of landscape shooters I suspect, use apertures in the range of f8 to f16. To me, it's the quality of results at these apertures that interest me.


You are not alone! Wink


PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edgar,

Might I suggest the Distagon 28/2.8 (MMJ) in C/Y - great lens on the A7r and on film (where it started out).
I think I saw someone else mention the CV 28/1.9, which I liked but had some corner issues on the A7r.
One other option if you don't mind going up from 28mm to 31mm is the Pentax smc-FA 31/1.9 Ltd: I love it and good on the A7r across the frame. And very good going from mid-far distance.

For those lenses, I can't really talk to performance wide open as that's not how I used them.


PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l9magen wrote:
I think I saw someone else mention the CV 28/1.9, which I liked but had some corner issues on the A7r.


That was me. The corner issues are gone on the A7R II, but Edgar looks for APS-C usage anyway.


PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, my mistake


PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for a lens to use on both my Sony A6000 and Canon EOS5DMKII.

Lochlann. the Distagon 28mm, I think, would be perfect. I'll have to sell a few lenses to afford one though! Wink


PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IQ-wise, the Distagon f/2.8 MMJ is the best 28mm I have ever used.