Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

35mm Shift lens: Canon? Minolta? Zeiss PC Distagon?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: 35mm Shift lens: Canon? Minolta? Zeiss PC Distagon? Reply with quote

For some architectural work i think about acquiring a f=35mm shift lens. I have no experience whatsoever with any of the "classical" 35mm shift lenses. Does it make sense to go for the rather expensive Zeiss C/Y PC Distagon 2.8/35mm, or is the corresponding Canon or Minolta comparable?

It's only about shifting; tilting is not necessary at all.

I'd be grateful for any information about any of the Canon, Minolta or Zeiss f=35mm shift lenses!

Stephan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

35mm might be to narrow for architectural work. I have it, it's a briliant lens from all aspects but if I had a gig that involves the usage of a ts lens - inside the building or outside- I'd rent a 24 or 17mm. Canon TS of course.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Arsat-N PCS 35/2.8 shift can be possibility. I don't know price of others lenses you are mentionning here, but you can find it for less than $200, and it's a decent lens. It has vigneting at extreme shift position.

http://pierretizien-photos.blogspot.fr/2016/04/arsat-35mm28-pcs-shift.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nikkor is relatively inexpensive... ~$200 http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/PC_Nikkor/index1.htm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zuiko 35mm shift is good and very easy to use. I have MC version, but don't think they have non mc.
Contax 35mm shift has more stable design, may be better than zuiko, but heavier, costs many fold the zuiko and no significant better IQ.
Haven't use the nikkor 35mm.

Otherwise, nikkor 28-shift is also very good. Pentax 28-shift too, but the pentax is heavier, almost same mechanical as contax.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the pc distagon but never use it on full frame, i sold my A7 few weeks after i get it and now i'm also selling the pc distagon.
I get a nex 6 now and other 35mm 2.8 normal lens ( sigma 30mm 2.8, zuiko 35mm f2.8 , contax 35mm 1.4)
I can make comparaison shoots, if you want tell me what Wink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that it's normal for people to recommend lenses much wider than a 35 for architecture, but one of the big benefits of this type of shift lens is the relatively natural perspective it gives. Even the Canon 45mm TS-E can be useful.

I have used three "35mm" shift lenses. The first and worst was a Mk 1 Canon TS-E 24 with a EF 1.4x converter Mk II. Second was an OM 35 shift and lastly a Contax PC - Distagon.

I had the Oly and the Zeiss at the same time and went out to Trafalgar Square in London to test them against each other on my A7r.

My thoughts are that the PC-D is a very good lens sharper but lower in contrast than the Olympus - these differences were clear but there isn't a huge amount in it.

The OM lens is nicer to use as it has a stop down button so you can compose and focus then push the button to stop down. The Olympus' shift mechanism is also much easier to use but is reputed to be less reliable.

There is also a noticeable difference in coverage/field of view but I'm damned if I can remember which of the two was "wider"

I'd quite like to try the latest Canon TS-E and 1.4x Mk III combo as it might just be best of all, based on some stuff I read on Luminous Landscape.

The link below may be of interest:

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/35mm_shift/35mm_test1.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
35mm might be to narrow for architectural work. I have it, it's a briliant lens from all aspects but if I had a gig that involves the usage of a ts lens - inside the building or outside- I'd rent a 24 or 17mm. Canon TS of course.

I will buy the Canon 4/17mm L Shift anyway; the additional 35mm Shift will be useful since 17mm often is too extreme.

Lightshow wrote:
The Nikkor is relatively inexpensive... ~$200 http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/PC_Nikkor/index1.htm

I didn't consider Nikon since quite a few Nikkor Ai/AiS lenses i own are optically inferior to their Canon nFD / Minolta MD-III counterparts. Does anyone have experience with both the Nikkor (which one exactly?) and one of Canon / Minolta / Zeiss 35mm Shift lenses?

barryreid wrote:
I know that it's normal for people to recommend lenses much wider than a 35 for architecture, but one of the big benefits of this type of shift lens is the relatively natural perspective it gives.

Exactly Wink

barryreid wrote:

I had the Oly and the Zeiss at the same time and went out to Trafalgar Square in London to test them against each other on my A7r.

My thoughts are that the PC-D is a very good lens sharper but lower in contrast than the Olympus - these differences were clear but there isn't a huge amount in it.

Thank you for this information!

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barryreid wrote:

The link below may be of interest:

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/35mm_shift/35mm_test1.html

Thank you for this link - the 100% crops shown there are impressive, and the conclusion is clear:

"Conclusion
Complicated lenses; time-consuming test, simple conclusion: don't buy the Nikon; if you can afford it, buy the Contax – if you can't, get the Olympus. The Zeiss PC-Distagon really is special: it just does everything brilliantly – but it is expensive.
So it's got to be the Contax: crisp like nothing else designed for 35mm, impeccable distortion control and flare resistance, peerlessly CA-corrected, resolution to spare for that 22MP sensor upgrade, and all the Zeiss trademark colour and microcontrast. It's the balance of strengths and virtues that justifies its price tag, not just the 'sharpness'."

OK ... Wink

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a good small test with the Canon TS 35 mm 1:2.8 SSC included, I also have this lens and think his conclusions are in line with my experience:
http://phillipreeve.net/blog/shootout-the-canon-fd-35mm-lenses/

I really like the rendering, colors, contrast and it's rather easy to use on a evf camera, even handheld.
But as this test shows it's not as sharp as some of the other FD lenses, for example my 24mm 1:2.8 SSC seems sharper at 100% view, probably because the TS needs much more complex optics, comparable with a much wider lens, or a larger format lens (there was a very interesting topic about this some time ago: http://forum.mflenses.com/lens-scaling-what-it-is-and-why-it-is-important-t73933.html)

I must admit I wasn't really looking for a t/s lens, but came across this one very cheap and mostly use it for tilt as a gimmick, but of course shift works really well, almost distortion free even at the extremes, but by then the corners really start to suffer on my A7 (could be partly due to the sensor stack), as you can see, even at this size:

DSC08084_1920px by Koen Nieuwenhuize, on Flickr

For that reason I'm not convinced it would be better than simply correct a non shifted image in PP with a sharper lens.
There is some LaCA as well, but not too pronounced to really bother me.

Here are some more samples, but mostly tilted: https://flic.kr/s/aHskvJPkZF and a lot more in this album, but they aren't tagged here, but you'll recordnize most of them: https://flic.kr/s/aHskyKAgT6

I also have the CZ 35mm 2.8 c/y (not the t/s one), but I haven't tested them against each other, I would guess contrast is comparable and the Zeiss would be sharper, but not by that much probably.
I could compare them if that would be interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koen Nhz wrote:
Here is a good small test with the Canon TS 35 mm 1:2.8 SSC included, I also have this lens and think his conclusions are in line with my experience:
http://phillipreeve.net/blog/shootout-the-canon-fd-35mm-lenses/

I really like the rendering, colors, contrast and it's rather easy to use on a evf camera, even handheld.
But as this test shows it's not as sharp as some of the other FD lenses, for example my 24mm 1:2.8 SSC seems sharper at 100% view,
almost distortion free even at the extremes, but by then the corners really start to suffer on my A7 (could be partly due to the sensor stack), as you can see, even at this size: For that reason I'm not convinced it would be better than simply correct a non shifted image in PP with a sharper lens.

Yeah, that doesn't look that promising, both on your image as well as on Philipps corner crops (which are not even in the shifted mode!!)

Koen Nhz wrote:

There is some LaCA as well, but not too pronounced to really bother me.

Seems that i've to go for the Zeiss, then. Nikon 2.8/35 Shift and Canon FD 2.8/35mm Shift obviously do not deliver what I would need to have for publishing large books. I'll have a closer look at the Zeiss C/Y PC Distagon 2.8/35mm.

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right, but looking at the 16-9 test again (I couldn't figure out how to go to the next page before) I do think the Canon is probably closer to the Contax than to the other two lenses in image quality, but definitely not as sharp as the Zeiss.
My sample above isn't stopped down very far (f/4 - 5.6 perhaps) and +- at full shift.
It's also perfectly usable wide open, in contrast to the Olympus and Nikkor (http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/35mm_shift/35mm_test4.html) those look quite horrible!
Also CA is quite low, just not non-existing and it might be a problem to remove automatically because software won't know how far you shifted, I haven't removed it in the picture above, that's an ooc jpg except for the resize.

Last edited by Koen Nhz on Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:54 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for a pc distagon i'm selling one in very good condition from France Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebbm wrote:
If you're looking for a pc distagon i'm selling one in very good condition from France Wink

Too late, i already got one (like new) for a reasonable price!
And usually i buy only from within Switzerland, because

A) Prices are reasonable
B) quality usually is impeccable
C) I can check the stuff personally before buying
D) There are no custom problems/costs

Stephan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use a normal lens and stitch multiple frames, you can then correct the perspective as much as you like in Photoshop.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option....
Since there are a variety of lenses mounts you mentioned, if you have an A7, then you can get a shift adapter, and use a variety of lenses with that adapter.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zeiss Distagon 35mm-PC has an angular coverage of 83º, which is almost equal to that of a 24mm wide angle lens. Thus an alternative to the PC-Distagon 35mm would be to use a high-quality 24mm wide angle lens, like the Sigma Art 24mm F1.4, on a camera with high-density sensor like the Sony A7r II, and make a crop for the final image. The MTF measurements made by Roger Cicala in lensrental.com suggest that the cropped Sigma Art final image would be as good or better than the PC-Distagon.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Just use a normal lens and stitch multiple frames, you can then correct the perspective as much as you like in Photoshop.

*smile* ... that's a suggestion from someone who spends money with every photo he shoots - i, however, do earn money with photography Wink!

No, that's not a solution, especially since i'm working in medieval churches where the angles of the building often are not 90°. Stiching programs regularly get quite upset about the strange raw data they have to digest... even stitching two (!) images doesn't work at all, let alone many.

dnas wrote:
Another option....
Since there are a variety of lenses mounts you mentioned, if you have an A7, then you can get a shift adapter, and use a variety of lenses with that adapter.

I thought about that as well, since i have a Mamyia C 3.5/35mm lens. But distortion and missing corner resolution (at 43MP FF) made me hesitate.

Gerald wrote:
The Zeiss Distagon 35mm-PC has an angular coverage of 83º, which is almost equal to that of a 24mm wide angle lens. Thus an alternative to the PC-Distagon 35mm would be to use a high-quality 24mm wide angle lens, like the Sigma Art 24mm F1.4, on a camera with high-density sensor like the Sony A7r II, and make a crop for the final image. The MTF measurements made by Roger Cicala in lensrental.com suggest that the cropped Sigma Art final image would be as good or better than the PC-Distagon.

Interesting information. I have done that for smaller publications (13.5 x 19 cm) regularly, using 24MP FF. It works quite well - apart from the fact that i can't frame the image that easily while shooting.
In addition i'd like to have the full 43MP or 50MP resolution available for fine-art printing of art books (400 dpi, images up to 32x48 cm). I'll try the C/Y PC-Distagon and check the results. The Canon 17L will work, that's for sure.

Stephan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly you don't know what you're talking about. With stitching, if you do it properly, you have no issues with errors and have a huge flexibility in how you can manipulate the FOV and perspective. Also, you can produce images of hundreds of MP.

Oh, and your comment about you earning while I spend is fatuous arrogant rhetoric, I have sold quite a few of my images, many of them were stitched.

I suggest you educate yourself about this subject, clearly your knowledge is very lacking.

Maybe you should just stick to pointless lens tests where you obsess about the corner performance wide open.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me see if I understood correctly: you make money with photography and want to shoot architecturally, inside of a medieval church with a 35mm?
Am I missing something?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Let me see if I understood correctly: you make money with photography and want to shoot architecturally, inside of a medieval church with a 35mm?

Yes.

Himself wrote:

Am I missing something?

No. Or maybe yes again? Did you read the entire thread?

1) The C/Y PC Distagon 2.8/35mm will not be the only shift lens (the other one will be the only 17mm shift lens available)
2) Often 35mm (shifted!) will be absolutely sufficient for images, eg. images of the choir, taken from the entrance.
3) Many clients (and even more the viewers of the printed images, later!) do prefer the more natural look of a "35mm-shifted image" over the unfamiliar and unusual look of a 17 mm shifted image

The image circle of the shifted C/Y PC Distagon 2.8/35mm (about 83°) corresponds to a not shifted 24mm lens.

Did you ever look at some classical,large size b/w illustrated books from the 1920-1950s? Incredibly beautiful photography, carefully printed - and often taken with a simple Tessar lens, large format of course, and slightly shifted!

I just spent a week in Rome, to shoot one of the large national churches. Most of the subjects were taken in the 28-50mm range, a few with the 200mm APO, and just 2-3 with the 2.8/16-35mm in the 16-20mm range.

Stephan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Clearly you don't know what you're talking about. With stitching, if you do it properly, you have no issues with errors and have a huge flexibility in how you can manipulate the FOV and perspective. Also, you can produce images of hundreds of MP.

Sorry, shifting is much faster - and that's why i may get the shift lenses.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Oh, and your comment about you earning while I spend is fatuous arrogant rhetoric, I have sold quite a few of my images, many of them were stitched.

I have written *smile* before writing that sentence - which means that i tried to say that the following should not be taken too seriously. But - since i'm not a native English speaking person! - i may not have chosen the appropriate words ... Just imagine you would have to discuss these subjects in German, French, Italian language ... Wink. Would you be able to always express what you mean, exactly and well educated? Again, this remark is not to start a quarrel, but simply to make you a bit aware of the situation i'm in, as Swiss german native speaker (not even German is native to me ...):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_German

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I suggest you educate yourself about this subject, clearly your knowledge is very lacking.

Meaningful information would be appreciated - eg in the form of useful links -, as others have been done above (e.g. the link to the excellent comparison of C/Y PC Distagon with Nikkor 35mm shift and Oly 35mm shift).
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Maybe you should just stick to pointless lens tests where you obsess about the corner performance wide open.

There is a market for images with blurred corners, and there is a market for images with perfectly detailed corners. You chose the first one, i chose the second one. There's nothing wrong with either of them.

Stephan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To further support the argument in favour of shift lenses, If you do shoot for design businesses in the 21st century the expectation is that some form of edit will be more or less instantly available.

You may also find yourself shooting with a client who has specific views in mind alongside you looking at a laptop or iPad, you can't really ask them to wait for you to stitch and correct.

I have, with my shift lenses gone on the morning of opening day of a just-about-complete-and-furnished building shot 40+ images all well corrected out of the box thanks to the lenses. Then made some quick selections from the jpegs to get them ready for an immediate press release.

In summary when you use shift lenses the process for using an image runs something like...

set camera up
Compose
shoot
Use

But using stitching...

Set camera up
Take multiple shots ensuring coverage
Go back to a PC
correct individual images for distortion
Stitch images (possibly introducing distortion)
Correct perspective and distortion
Use image

If you are shooting any reasonably complex building for an Architectural firm they will be looking for multiple angles and shots sometimes several per room and the time required both on site and in post starts to build quickly. There is also a risk of missing part of the area you need to stitch.

I'd also suggest another risk is that with multiple views to stitch and correct after you have left the building you may not be 100% clear on the actual perspective in the spaces by the end of the process. The architect probably will be however as he/she has been highly involved and has made many visits to the site during construction will be very aware of how it should look.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@barryreid:

Thank you for this excellent clarification!

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnas wrote:
Another option....

stevemark wrote:

I thought about that as well, since i have a Mamyia C 3.5/35mm lens. But distortion and missing corner resolution (at 43MP FF) made me hesitate.

You could use a Samyang 35mm F1.4

Centre is great straight up, and corner is very good from about F4