Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Something for Alessandro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Something for Alessandro Reply with quote

The Food Portfolio:

http://viewer.zmags.com/showmag.php?preview=1&_x=1&mid=gtpwg#/page0/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Something for Alessandro Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The Food Portfolio:

http://viewer.zmags.com/showmag.php?preview=1&_x=1&mid=gtpwg#/page0/

Thanks Orio! It's really interesting because there are also the lightning schemes and the images are gorgeous.

I'm a bit puzzled why food shots aren't more common even between ameteur photographers as they're basically still life, one of the preferred subjects after portraits and landscapes in traditional paintings.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Something for Alessandro Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:

I'm a bit puzzled why food shots aren't more common even between ameteur photographers as they're basically still life, one of the preferred subjects after portraits and landscapes in traditional paintings.

I actually would love to make some food shots, especially of Parma and Piacenza food products. My main issue with that it's that I don't have a studio and/or a good looking kitchen to use. I have an old credenza in my father's house but the tiles on the floor suck and my gfriend wants the credenza to be removed to make room for more efficient modern kitchen.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Something for Alessandro Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I actually would love to make some food shots, especially of Parma and Piacenza food products. My main issue with that it's that I don't have a studio and/or a good looking kitchen to use. I have an old credenza in my father's house but the tiles on the floor suck and my gfriend wants the credenza to be removed to make room for more efficient modern kitchen.

Don't let her! Use no-violence like Ghandi, lay yourself over the credenza and sleep there Laughing

You don't need a great looking kitchen to make food shots though, mines are done in my "playing" room with just a table, some props and a couple of inexpensive fluorescent lights. I'd just need a broader room for some portraiture and larger sets Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Something for Alessandro Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:

Don't let her! Use no-violence like Ghandi, lay yourself over the credenza and sleep there Laughing

I may use no violence, but she would use Laughing

A G Photography wrote:
You don't need a great looking kitchen to make food shots though, mines are done in my "playing" room with just a table, some props and a couple of inexpensive fluorescent lights. I'd just need a broader room for some portraiture and larger sets Rolling Eyes

I know... but I am not into contemporary style. I would like to photograph food in an environment like this one:

Well maybe not THAT old... but you get the point.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you are after Orio, but unless you need to shot VERY large rustic sets, you don't need a real old kitchen/dining room.

Actually 95% of the shots are fakes (I know you're shivering hearing this word LOL Razz) because usually it's needed just a close up of the food.

Out of examples these are mine in "rustic" style:

The "table" here is a piece of wood "stolen" from a country field where it was rotting.

Here the wall on the right is colored rice paper but being outfocus acts very well as a real plaster wall.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very clever fakes!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the lighting in the second shot.
I see you often "cut" the dishes and the casseroles in your composition. There is any reason for that?
In the second shot it works for me, but I am not sure to like the cut in the first shot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I love the lighting in the second shot.

Thanks. I use a single light there to mimick a real window. You need the right subject though. In the first shot you have a too much dark sauce over the pasta to use directional light.

Orio wrote:

I see you often "cut" the dishes and the casseroles in your composition. There is any reason for that?
In the second shot it works for me, but I am not sure to like the cut in the first shot.

It's always a hard choice and a compromise. Putting all the dish in frame you lose focus on the food because you need to step back. I love 6x6 MF for food shots for this very reason, it's a lot easier for composition. Using other formats you always need to sacrifice something.