Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Topcor RE 100/2.8 vs Minolta MDIII 100/2.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Topcor RE 100/2.8 vs Minolta MDIII 100/2.5 Reply with quote

A test between the two. Note that only a few aspects of both lenses are compared.

Wide open:

comparison@wideopen by devoscasper, on Flickr

100% crops:

cropswideopen by devoscasper, on Flickr

Center sharpness is really similar of both lenses. Corner sharpness is better of the Minolta. Note however, that only in the real far corners the Topcor seems to suffer. On the right side of the corner frame, the differences are less pronounced.

@f/4:
comparison@f4 by devoscasper, on Flickr

100% crops:
crops@f4 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Center sharpness very comparable. Corner sharpness:same findings as at f/2.8: only in very far corners Topcor seems to suffer. When you look for instance at the text '15 ml' the differences are not huge.

At f/5.6:
comparison@56 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Crops:
crops@56 by devoscasper, on Flickr

At f/8:
comparison@f8 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Crops:
crops@f8 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Conclusion: very comparable results, except for the very far corners, where the Minolta is better. Real life significance? For me personally close to zero.

Then, I tried to compare fringing, by slightly focusing further and nearer than the subject:
FringeComparison by devoscasper, on Flickr

I took the pictures at the point of maximum color cast in the viewfinder. This is not exactly at the same point. The Minolta suffers a bit more it seems, at least wide open.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice comparison indeed. In the center the biggest difference seems to be fewer aberrations with the Minolta, with the corners the story is very different; but something tells me Topcor could be even more interesting portrait lens. With stopped down images Topcor has a (tiniest) bit softer bokeh I think, but probably only due to lower contrast. It could be my imagination, but bokeh highlights seem a bit bigger with Topcor around F5.6, maybe there is a slight real world difference in real F values between lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Topcor is slightly longer focal length than the Minolta.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:
Is the Minolta a Sonnar like the Topcor you compared?

I believe it's not. Five lenses in five groups, of which two rear lenses. I guess that can't be a sonnar.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 I love these kinds of comparos and realize how much work it is. So, greatly appreciated. I have a couple of copies of the topcor and I think one of the Minolta.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 I love these kinds of comparos and realize how much work it is. So, greatly appreciated. I have a couple of copies of the topcor and I think one of the Minolta.

You’re welcome. I think they’re both great lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also see slightly more blur and a softer background on the Topcor.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
I also see slightly more blur and a softer background on the Topcor.

Yes, you’re right!