Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wray H.R.Lustrar, 7in f5.6 - Adapter help.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Wray H.R.Lustrar, 7in f5.6 - Adapter help. Reply with quote

Hi folks, I wouldn't particularly call myself thick, but finding a route from 2 inch to M42 is flummoxing me, and I'm hoping a brainbox on the board has gone through the pain before and found a solution. It could be I'm looking for adapter combinations in the wrong places, Ebay and Amazon, or, with it being my first attempt, I'm not looking for the right things, but I'm close to admitting defeat, when I know it can be done.

The old thing looks a bit rough, but on inspection with lamp and loupe, it's all fixable. There's a group of barely discernable short scratches off-centre on the front element, but other that that, it's internal dust, dirt, and an interesting looking fungus to remove.

It was sold as having a 50mm thread, but I measure the outside diameter (top of thread to top of thread) as 50.8mm, which would make it 2 inch. So I'm going from imperial on the lens to metric on the M42 Helicoid, but I'll be happy to get it to mount in any fashion, rather that have a perfect fit.

I'm showing the connction as a helicoid and extension ring combo, but I think I'm going to require longer than shown, so initially I might use my M42 bellows, although the same mounting problem exists.

Any help welcome, even if it's just tea and sympathy. I'm keen to get it up and running as I suspect it is going to provide a look that appeals to me.

Signed: Flummoxed of Scotland.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, she scrubbed up quite well -

And this is what I've come up with to attach the lens to my helicoid -

1. Sticky tape over 2"(50.8mm) imperial threads and build up to 52mm.

2. Apply a general purpose glue and screw on a 52mm to 50mm step up ring.

3. Then attach a 49mm to 50mm ring to get over the end of the rear lens block.

4. Then attach a 42mm to 49mm ring to get back to the helicoid.

I'm ordering from China so I'll be back in two months with a review of the rendering.

Onward...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
Well, she scrubbed up quite well -

And this is what I've come up with to attach the lens to my helicoid -

1. Sticky tape over 2"(50.8mm) imperial threads and build up to 52mm.

2. Apply a general purpose glue and screw on a 52mm to 50mm step up ring.

3. Then attach a 49mm to 50mm ring to get over the end of the rear lens block.

4. Then attach a 42mm to 49mm ring to get back to the helicoid.

I'm ordering from China so I'll be back in two months with a review of the rendering.

Onward...

The first step is the same as I've used for a similar exercise. But I then used just the metal part of a 52mm UV filter for stage 2 and used a m42-m52 helicoid, which screwed directly to that.
Much less in the way of unusual stepping rings & the rear of the lens could sit inside the helicoid - allowing a longer helicoid with more extension available (35-90mm). I've used the same system on 3 separate projector lenses to far which all share the helicoid, though one of them needed some extension tubes...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:

The first step is the same as I've used for a similar exercise. But I then used just the metal part of a 52mm UV filter for stage 2 and used a m42-m52 helicoid, which screwed directly to that.
Much less in the way of unusual stepping rings & the rear of the lens could sit inside the helicoid - allowing a longer helicoid with more extension available (35-90mm). I've used the same system on 3 separate projector lenses to far which all share the helicoid, though one of them needed some extension tubes...

I loooked at the 52mm helicoid route but decided, as this is me starting off on these types of mods, to build up the 'tools of the trade', and buy some step-up rings.

Employing a 52-42mm helicoid would certainly give a cleaner look, and perhaps more peace of mind (less connections to fail) when in use.

EDIT: Hmm.., having a look on ebay, M52 to M42 (25-55mm) helicoids don't exactly break the bank. Options, options...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thar she blows...

1. Decorators masking tape wrapped around lens threads and protruding rear lens housing.

2. Old Cokin 52mm adaptor ring tightly butted up to threads and UHU glued to decorators tape on rear lens housing.

3. 50-52mm step ring.

4. 49-50mm step ring.

5. 42-49 step ring.

Lens attached to 42-42mm helicoid and Asahi extension tubes.

Next time I think I'll go for a 52-42mm helicoid as a base, as DConvert suggested. This set up is solid, but there's just too many jointing faces here for my comfort. 11 of them.

Now to go play with it Happy Dog.

Last edited by Sciolist on Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:08 pm; edited 7 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:

Now to go play with it Happy Dog.

Well, so far I've got to the Living Room window. Total weight without body is 420g, so no probs letting the body mount take the strain, even if a fair bit of that weight is hanging out there. The lens provides 178mm of focal length, and on this Fuji X-E1, a cropped FOV equivalent of a 267mm lens on full frame.

Straight outta Compton... erm... sorry... I meant camera. All settings flat, no pp. All shots at F/11 (although f/8 and f/16 provide much the same).

PP. A hint of sharpen, a smidge of contrast. Nothing else.

1:1.

1:1. The Tower is 2.7km(1.7m) away as the crow flies. There was more shimmy than a belly dancer on this warm humid day.

1:1.

It's currently 'golden hour' as I look out of the window, and I'm wondering how much of the pp could have been avoided through better use of available light. I might try next time.

Total cost of this bit of fun - £16.77 (for lens and step rings). Can't be bad.

Onward...