Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any EF lenses with mechanical focus?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Any EF lenses with mechanical focus? Reply with quote

I bought an EF to FX dumb adapter thinking I would set the 40mm pancake wide open and manual focus. I later realized that is of course impossible as it has electronic focusing. I Googled it but only found talk of a Canon 50mm f1.4 having a manual focusing clutch. I am not sure if that would work? Do you know of any lenses which will work?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of them. I thought all of them had mechanical focus but maybe the STM lenses do not?

The ones I have used on E-mount with a dumb adapter are: 10-22mm, 100mm 2.8 usm macro, 70-300mm is usm.

I used the macro the most with the aperture locked at f/8 to scan film.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:

how do you control aperture with a mechanical adapter?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskalaCafe wrote:
blotafton wrote:

how do you control aperture with a mechanical adapter?

The only way (using the lenses iris) is to mount the lens on an EF camera, set the aperture desired, press & hold down DOF preview then dismount the lens before releasing the DOF preview.

This option doesn't work for me as I don't have an EF camera, but the only two EF lenses I have aren't worth using anyway. In a much worse state than any of my 50 year old lenses...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Most of them. I thought all of them had mechanical focus but maybe the STM lenses do not?

The ones I have used on E-mount with a dumb adapter are: 10-22mm, 100mm 2.8 usm macro, 70-300mm is usm.

Great news, thanks. Time for shopping Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small collection of EF lenses and they all have mechanical focus. I think you'll find that it is only the more expensive "pro" models that have electronic focus, such as the 85mm f/1.2L and other large, fast telephotos.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find that most, if not all, EF/EF-S lenses have a terribly short focus ring travel.
This can make it pretty sketchy landing proper focus with such lenses, particularly
shorter focal lengths. The same generally applies also to third-party lenses such as
Tamron, Tokina, Sigma, etc.

I've owned a few; I have 2 now.
My current EF 28-135 has a longer focus travel than my Sigma 10-20,
but both are short as compared to manual lenses. I find it nearly impossible
to attain proper manual focus with the Sigma at any 'zoom' setting, while the
Canon 28-135 is difficult at 28mm but easier going as the reach increases.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkedAddled wrote:
You'll find that most, if not all, EF/EF-S lenses have a terribly short focus ring travel.
This can make it pretty sketchy landing proper focus with such lenses, particularly
shorter focal lengths. The same generally applies also to third-party lenses such as
Tamron, Tokina, Sigma, etc.

I've owned a few; I have 2 now.
My current EF 28-135 has a longer focus travel than my Sigma 10-20,
but both are short as compared to manual lenses. I find it nearly impossible
to attain proper manual focus with the Sigma at any 'zoom' setting, while the
Canon 28-135 is difficult at 28mm but easier going as the reach increases.

Thanks Mr Addled. I didn't find any on eBay yesterday so the adapter is going in the "camera stuff" basket. My recently bought Yashica is ultra easy to focus and the pristine metal construction of a mint Super Takumar yesterday left me cold when looking at EF lenses. Maybe my forthcoming first FD lens will warm me up to Canon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="BnG_Murphy] I didn't find any on eBay yesterday so the adapter is going in the "camera stuff" basket. My recently bought Yashica is ultra easy to focus and the pristine metal construction of a mint Super Takumar yesterday left me cold when looking at EF lenses. Maybe my forthcoming first FD lens will warm me up to Canon.[/quote]

I don't use my EF lenses, but I do use EF adapters quite a bit.
They are about the shortest of the SLR mounts and widely adaptable, so if using a range of legacy mounts there's much less space needed for an mirrorless to EF adapter & then EF to lens adapters for the lenses being used.

I also use several special EF adapters (helicoid, focal reducing...) and can use these with nearly all my other SLR lenses greatly increasing flexibility without excessive cost/weight penalties.

There are a few SLR mounts that don't adapt to EF currently I think I only have a few of them - one Minolta/Sony A mount and five MD lenses that are rarely used.