Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A couple with the Vivitar 35mm f1.9
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: A couple with the Vivitar 35mm f1.9 Reply with quote

Both wide open and jpg from camera.

My 18 month old niece wondering what I am doing Very Happy

A gentleman getting getting his afternoon nap mildly disturbed...

Wonderful glass! Tuzki with lens

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog Like Dog Friends

This is one of the few lens I like during my early days joining the MFlenses family.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy that I bought shortly after joining this community. This was before it had been "discovered" by the digital crowd. I think I paid $40 for mine in close to mint condition. Mine is in Canon FD mount, so it hadn't gotten much digital use. I must admit, however, that since I bought my NEX I haven't taken mine out and played with it. I need to do something about that.

The extent of my uses of it to date were some slides I shot of some rather foggy scenery -- so no detail could be ascertained -- and later a few shots when I had it mounted to a glassless FD to EOS adapter. Now, those shots gave a very good indication of the lens's sharpness and contrast -- which is to say, outstanding. In the two photos above, I can count the child's eyebrow hairs and the individual pieces of fuzz on the dog's carpet. Great contrast and color, too, eh?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: A couple with the Vivitar 35mm f1.9 Reply with quote

Nice photos. I got one in 2003, Nikon non-AI and and so happy to get another one in 2017, Nikon AI.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. My copy is a near mint m42 version which was received a while ago from ebay for the princely sum of $AUD70 or there abouts. Just amazed at the quality coming out of the lens in these indoors portrait situations. Haven't used it outside as yet. Fuji colours are pretty awesome - these pictures are just jpg's ooc.

A 100% pixel peeping (I know... bad form on this forum) on Clyde @1600 iso with noise reduction turned all the way down in the camera.

Naturally I would never have considered this lens if folks on this fine forum hadn't championed it in the past. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: A couple with the Vivitar 35mm f1.9 Reply with quote

RnR wrote:
Both wide open and jpg from camera.

Wonderful glass! Tuzki with lens

Thanks for sharing, would you post some more pics where the bokeh is visible?
Cheers from Switzerland.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar 35mm f1.9 on a6000....click for large.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. The specular highlights remind me a lot of those I've gotten with Canon FD lenses. I rather like that sort of "in focus" bokeh.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice lens!!!!!!!!!!!! Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exceptional lens, I shall be looking for one of those.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a photo taken with lens (N/AI mount). I posted on another forum before.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Happy to have one, too!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: A couple with the Vivitar 35mm f1.9 Reply with quote

wolan wrote:
Thanks for sharing, would you post some more pics where the bokeh is visible?

Sure. Some indoor bokeh. Again wide open and jpg from camera. In front of a large window. Perhaps could use a hint of additional contrast, but none applied here.

I'll try the lens out in an urban setting over the next few weeks. Have to hunt down a hood...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Komine has made a lot of beautiful primes--this is no exception. I've had many, but have never been able to get one of these. The problem is, the 35mm focal length is in high demand because of its utility & not a lot of these are out there. Still they sometimes show @ @ Ebay, but the problem is the asking price--up @ $200 us or more, one can get a Nikkor 35mm f/2, with superior bokeh (yep, some like the harsh bokeh of the Komine). The Nikkor has better coatings too. The lens is, IMO, overpriced these days. jt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this bokeh type too Smile
The 35mm/1,9 was long time, and likely is still, cheaper than the Vivitar 28mm/1.9 Series 1 which has this type of bokeh too.
I have one of the 35mm too, but have not used it too often. Most times the 35mm focal length don´t match my perspective requirements. The 28mm/1.9 I have too, but it is alos not so often on my camera. Exactly I have two of them, on one the floating focus mechanics was defect, likely I need to repair the bearings there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the prices eBay sellers are asking for this lens is just plain silly. I bought my copy about 9 years ago, before the news got out how good it was. Paid $40 for it. Off eBay no less.