Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best vintage 24mm and 20mm Prime Lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Best vintage 24mm and 20mm Prime Lens Reply with quote

Hi, I'm looking for a good wide angle vintage lens to add to my collection.

I have various adapters for my mirrorless camera so the mount type is not so important. Ideally I am looking for something sharp.
I currently have my eye on a couple. One is a Vivitar 24mm 2.8 and other is a Pentax 24mm 2.8. Not sure which one of these would be best. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am also interested in any 20mm but unsure which one would be the best. I see these tend to be far more expensive.
Ideally I don't want to spend too much - no more than $250 (NZ ).

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have experience with Sigma Super-Wide II 24mm f/2.8 and am quite happy with it. It is very sharp (to my eye). Set me back by about $60 USD. Here's my album for photos made with it:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aatemu/albums/72157668433721853

I also have a Nikon Nikkor 24mm f/2 manual lens, which I am still exploring. Seems to be fine, but I haven't shot enough to form an opinion. These tend to be more expensive, but I found one cheap @ $100 USD. The album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aatemu/albums/72157689896158051

In the 20mm realm, I would also recommend Canon FL 19mm f/3.5. Great lens. It is not as fast as f/2.8, but in daylight, stopped down, it shouldn't matter. It is a fine lens, no problems. The album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aatemu/albums/72157673265569322

Speed was a concern for me, as I like to shoot handheld and in low light, so I got myself a sweet Voigtlander Ultron 21mm f/1.8. That is one sweet lens! It set me back some $700 USD, so it may not be for you considering your budget. Album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aatemu/albums/72157665784336277

Another one I can share an opinion on is Kiron 28mm f/2 [Kino Precision Japan]. I liked it, though the starbursts at night were a bit meh. I am still not used to the 28mm focal length, so still learning. About $60 USD. Album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aatemu/albums/72157687494373605

That's all I've got. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Arutemu on Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konica Hexanon AR 24mm f2.8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about Vivitar lenses, I had a 24/2.8 (Komine) which was... meh... and I have a Vivitar 24/2 (Kino) which I'm selling just because of the very short focus throw (a real pain, if you shoot video). The 24/2 is an impressive lens, considering its price and speed (I have the II version, with short focus throw and non rotating front lens). The focus ring is extra smooth and has absolutely no play, while sharpness is pretty good already wide open. Unfortunately, there's a visible "glow" effect up to f/2.5 (since f/2.8 sharpness is visibly better than with 24/2.8 version) contrast is quite low up to f/4 and flares are a serious issue, expecially in the f/2-f/2.5 range. Like all of the Vivitar Komine and Kiron lenses I tested so far, colors are on the cool side. Distorsion and vignetting are very low but field curvature is pretty high. Among third party 24mm lenses, that's the most interesting one, in my opinion.

I had a Pentax 24/2.8 many many years ago, I remember that color rendition was beautiful (tipycal Pentax yellowish warmth) but border sharpness was nothing to write home about and vignetting was pretty visible. Still, between Vivitar and Pentax, I'd go Pentax every day. No doubt.

As DigiChromeEd said, the Sigma Super-Wide II 24mm f/2.8 is a very good lens, considering you can find it for under 100$. In my experience, it's definitaly better than the Vivitar 24/2.8.

Another interesting 24 is the Nikkor-N C (Pre-AI). That was, if I'm not wrong, the first lens with floating elements, a milestone in the history of photographic lenses.
Of course, it's a very old lens and it shows, but it's still a good performer, if you find a copy in good shape. I found that most Nikon lenses develop an annoying play between elicoids after years of use.
The "C" version of this lens is the multicoated one and it handles flares and ghosting much better. Sharpness is good already WO in the center of the frame, but extreme borders stay soft even stopping down 2-3 stops. Still, just like the beautiful Nikkor-N C 28/2, images captured with this lens have an impressive "tridimensionality"; something that Vivitar lenses totally miss!

Coming to 20mm lenses... if speed is not an issue, the Zeiss Jena Flektogon 20/4 is pretty good. The 20/2.8 should be in your budget too, but I wouldn't define it a "sharp" lens. The Nikon 20/2.8 AIS and the Pentax-A 20/2.8 are probably the sharpest ones, but it's harder to find them in your price range.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Minolta MC W.Rokkor 24mm F2.8 is sharp corner to corner wide open and made with a very smooth brass helicoid. It has heft to it. It uses a close-focus correction like other lenses of the period. The weaknesses are obvious CA even when stopped down a bit - but that is something you can correct easily in post. If you ever intend to use it at night with street lamps or the moon in the scene, then look elsewhere as the coatings on this lens are really ineffective at reducing flares - contrast is still good. The hood made for it is also too short to shield against bright windows in shaded rooms, for example.
The minimum focus distance is also only 0.3m which is not better than the 35mm lenses.

I haven't tried any of the MD versions but they lost the brass helicoid and some of the heft, but the focus throw is so short so it's not really important. The coatings are *probably* effective in the late MD, but if you want very modern coatings then perhaps look at Pentax SMC.

The same Minolta MC lens was made by Leica for Leica R mount but I'm not sure if the coating or construction is any better - as opposed to styling changes. Regardless, you will pay more for one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintage, wide, good and cheap often do not go well together.

You didn't mention if your camera is Micro 4/3, fullframe or APSC, but Samyang has a very neat 21mm 1.4 M43&APSC-lens, and a 24mm 1.4 fullframe lens.

http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_4061.html

http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_1265.html

Used copies are typically sold at half the price or less.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested several versions of the Vivitar 24mm f/2,8 and kept the best one. Mine is old and glass has some scratches but center sharpness is truly outstanding at every aperture. I think there is some field curvature, corners are not as good as the center wide open, but when stopping down a bit, it becomes excellent all across the frame.

I now have the Olympus OM 24mm f/2,8 MC version. A bit more expensive, but mechanics are great and the thing is really tiny. Sharpness is excellent from wide open when focused correctly, which is sometimes a bit difficult. Surprinsingly, I find it better on full frame than on APS-C.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
Vintage, wide, good and cheap often do not go well together.

Spot-on.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24mm f/2.5 - Tamron Adaptall-II, as good as any in my opinion, and probably available in "the mount of your choice".

I don't have a Fujinon 24mm but would grab one if I found one at a decent price, I have other 42-screw Fujinons, including the 16mm fisheye and the 19mm and they're as good as they come.

The old Sigma 21-35mm zoom is well worth considering. I bought mine second-hand "way back", when 42-screw lenses were almost given away ... it still gets used, though with the fixed "petal" lens-hood the adaptor has to be accurate (or adjustable) so's the lens mounts "vertically" and not cocked at an angle.

I recently sold my Russar MP-2 20mm 'cos it wouldn't fit on my APS-C mirrorless, if your camera is "full-frame" that's definitely a lens worth considering if you can find one at a "sensible" price ... mine sold on eBay for about £150 (pounds sterling) but the usual optimistic asking prices are considerably more!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the Konica 24mm 2.8. Also consideration must be given to the pentax smc 24mm 3.5.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Konica Hexanon AR 24mm f2.8

And Hexanon 21mm f4 too is an excellent lens.
Also Rolley CZ Distagon 25mm f2,8.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few 24mm lenses in my collection that I have some experience with.

Nikon 24mm f/2.8 AIs, I think. Very sharp in the center. Great color and contrast. But it is definitely soft in the corners. Tried it up to f/8 but not beyond that.

Tamron 24mm f/2.5. Slightly sharper than the Nikkor when stopped down, exhibits a sort of ghosting flare when wide open. But sharp in the corners.

Canon FD 24mm f/2.8 SSC The best of my 24s. Great looking from wide open to f/11 which was as high as I took it. Good detail in the corners.

Also, I have a Tamron SP 24-48mm zoom and a Vivitar Series 1 24-48mm zoom. Both of these lenses produce excellent results and compare favorably with primes.

In the 20mm realm, I agree with Arutemu -- I owned a Canon FL 19mm f/3.5, the retrofocus one, not the one that requires the viewfinder, and I found it to be a remarkably good lens. It may be old, but it is still a great optic.

Any of the above 24s will fit within your budget easily, but the 19 and 20 are another matter. Your budget might just cover one of them.

Another 20mm that I've always thought was cool and that delivers outstanding images is the old Nikkor pre-AI 20mm f/3.5 UD.

Last edited by cooltouch on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Best vintage 24mm and 20mm Prime Lens Reply with quote

Zappa69 wrote:
Hi, I'm looking for a good wide angle vintage lens to add to my collection.

I have various adapters for my mirrorless camera so the mount type is not so important. Ideally I am looking for something sharp.
I currently have my eye on a couple. One is a Vivitar 24mm 2.8 and other is a Pentax 24mm 2.8. Not sure which one of these would be best. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am also interested in any 20mm but unsure which one would be the best. I see these tend to be far more expensive.
Ideally I don't want to spend too much - no more than $250 (NZ ).

Any suggestions?

Both Minolta MD 24mm/F2.8 and MD 20mm/F2.8 (versions MD III) are among the best you can get.
However, within your quoted budget you are most probably out of luck; particularly the 20mm lens is far more expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMC Pentax-K 20mm 4.
Konica Hexanon AR 24mm 2.8.
Like 1 small

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quidam wrote:
SMC Pentax-K 20mm 4.
Konica Hexanon AR 24mm 2.8.
Like 1 small

the pentax is great!! but i prefer, if you have the money , the leica R 21mm f4 Super Angulon.
my favorite 24mm is the yashica ML 24mm f2.8 and the nikkor 24mm f2.8 ( in APS-C format), full frame is an other world....this said, i would go for a 20mm and a 28mm, 24mm is to close to 20mm...In 28mm there are many good options...nikkor 28mm f2.8 ais....
Regards
Jorge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On FF you should look for Canon nFD 24/2.8 or Minolta MD-III 24/2.8.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arutemu wrote:
I have experience with Sigma Super-Wide II 24mm f/2.8 and am quite happy with it. It is very sharp (to my eye). Set me back by about $60 USD. Here's my album for photos made with it:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aatemu/albums/72157668433721853

I also have a Nikon Nikkor 24mm f/2 manual lens, which I am still exploring. Seems to be fine, but I haven't shot enough to form an opinion. These tend to be more expensive, but I found one cheap @ $100 USD. The album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aatemu/albums/72157689896158051

In the 20mm realm, I would also recommend Canon FL 19mm f/3.5. Great lens. It is not as fast as f/2.8, but in daylight, stopped down, it shouldn't matter. It is a fine lens, no problems. The album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aatemu/albums/72157673265569322

Speed was a concern for me, as I like to shoot handheld and in low light, so I got myself a sweet Voigtlander Ultron 21mm f/1.8. That is one sweet lens! It set me back some $700 USD, so it may not be for you considering your budget. Album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aatemu/albums/72157665784336277

Another one I can share an opinion on is Kiron 28mm f/2 [Kino Precision Japan]. I liked it, though the starbursts at night were a bit meh. I am still not used to the 28mm focal length, so still learning. About $60 USD. Album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aatemu/albums/72157687494373605

That's all I've got. Hope this helps!

Thank you for actually shooting wide compositions and not flowers or something. Close-up work is flattery and hides defects in a lot of lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon nFD 20mm f2.8

Works really well on a Sony A7, unlike some wide angle lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a Canon fd 24mm f/2.8 that was just excellent.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon nFD 24mm f2.8 (A7R)
https://yadi.sk/a/1cMgZ3NL3VbZCK/5af2cb733881057004fe4791
https://yadi.sk/a/1cMgZ3NL3VbZCK/5af2cb733881057004fe479d
https://yadi.sk/a/_egoz0_n3VbZBp/5af2cb6e0f045809935cc25b

Before a storm by Сергей Пашнин, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought online Pentax K 24mm f3.5. It will be interesting to compare with Canon nFD 24mm f2.8.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came to Pentax K 24mm f3.5, I compared it with Canon nFD 24mm f2.8 and immediately sent the Pentax back ) Angles worse astigmatism.

Canon nFD 24mm f2.8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergun, I used to own an nFD 24/2.8 years ago. Once I bought it, my 28mm got permanently retired!

Nowadays I have a 24mm f/2.8 SSC breechlock. Honestly, I don't see a lot of difference between the two. The Canon 24mm is still my favorite optic.

Canon F-1, Canon 24mm f/2.8 SSC, Fuji Velvia 50. This is a not-so-great scan of an otherwise very sharp slide. The only one I have available at the moment:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Asahi Pentax Super-Multi coated 24mm and the Ensinor 24mm Macro. Both very good lenses, but I use the Ensinor more as it works on my 5D; plus it has closer focus and as sharp as I'll ever need.

the Ensinor can also be found under the `Club' brand.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the Canon nFD 20mm f2.8 and for the Canon FD 24mm f2.8 SSC. I used both on the Sony A7r, great glass, and as others have said too, it's pretty good right into the corners which is not usual for ultra-wides on the A7 series cameras.

Both were sold in the end though, to fund a Loxia 21mm which I'm happily going to take the grave with me.

I had the loan of a Konica AR 24mm too, a great lens as others have said.
L.