Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 11 Contax Mount by KOMZ
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Jupiter 11 Contax Mount by KOMZ Reply with quote

I have a couple of Jupiter 11 lenses and although different mounts, both come from KOMZ factory.
I had a random thought - did any other factory make Jupiter 11 lenses?
Anyway here is the lens and some images from it.
All taken on Fuji X-E2s, LR6 and NIK PP
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one you have, seems mint !
Thanks to Pierre : KMZ produced them for Kiev and LTM from 1950, then the production was all made by KOMZ by the year 1958. Arsenal also made them for Kiev from 1969 to ??

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musashichan wrote:
Nice one you have, seems mint !
Thanks to Pierre : KMZ produced them for Kiev and LTM from 1950, then the production was all made by KOMZ by the year 1958. Arsenal also made them for Kiev from 1969 to ??

Thank you Musashichan.
It is an impressive lens.
Here is another shot or two from it
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes seems nice, i rarely experienced a bad silver J11 ; always sharp WO but nice bokeh, not too harsh. The only issue is minimum focus range...but easy to fix with a short below on digital !

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musashichan wrote:
Yes seems nice, i rarely experienced a bad silver J11 ; always sharp WO but nice bokeh, not too harsh. The only issue is minimum focus range...but easy to fix with a short below on digital !

Yes that can be an issue.
This one is just under 1.5m so not too bad.
Here is one that I took this afternoon.
I could not get too close without startling the pigeons, so this is a crop of the original - maybe 60%
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, the production started before 1950 with ZK's.
And to be more precise, Arsenal also made Jupiter-11, but in Automat mount.
I made here a graphic with the Jupiter-11 (and 37) production in times. Colors are for different plants, and every line is for a different mount/system.
Some informations are missing, but I think it's a good start to get an overall view of the J-11 prodution

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Pierre - that is awesome
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre!! Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job Pierre.
Thank you.

Like 1 small

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome!
Always a pleasure to help Friends

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter-11 KMZ 1957 for Kiev (RF)

DSC01443 by Mr TTT, on Flickr

DSC01456 by Mr TTT, on Flickr

DSC01478 by Mr TTT, on Flickr

Last edited by sergtum on Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures !
Thank you. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Nice pictures !
Thank you. Smile

Friends

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the colors.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '64 KOMZ Jupiter-11 with a 39mm mount. The glass is in beautiful shape, but unfortunately it's not very sharp - not nearly as sharp as the images I see others post from this lens. Mine's not sharp even at f8 or f11, which is disappointing.

That doesn't mean I haven't managed some excellent portraits with it, however.

The most noteworthy characteristic of my J-11 is the exceptionally good color rendering, as caspert79 noted.

I don't plan to sell it, but I might get another one someday to see if I get better results.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
I have a '64 KOMZ Jupiter-11 with a 39mm mount. The glass is in beautiful shape, but unfortunately it's not very sharp - not nearly as sharp as the images I see others post from this lens. Mine's not sharp even at f8 or f11, which is disappointing.

Your lens might be faulty as it should be already very sharp at F4, at least in the center.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent sergtum.
I have owned several Jupiter 11 lenses in different mounts but the best was the Kiev/Contax version like yours.
Excellent lens for sure
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
KEO wrote:

Your lens might be faulty as it should be already very sharp at F4, at least in the center.

Yes, I agree. It's just consistently not very sharp. It makes me sad, actually, because I can see the lens's good qualities too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What camera do you use the Jupiter-11 on? If it is not sharp on a rangefinder camera, it probably needs to be adjusted.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiftyonepointsix wrote:
What camera do you use the Jupiter-11 on? If it is not sharp on a rangefinder camera, it probably needs to be adjusted.

Fujifilm X-T2. No valid excuses for the lack of sharpness, I'm afraid.

I have a host of old 135 f4 lenses, and my J11 is just plain soft, even in the center, even stopped down. I don't think I've ever managed a shot I would consider "sharp" with it.

In contrast, my Voigtlander Super Dynarex is incredibly sharp. It lights up my focus peaking like a Christmas tree, even when peaking is set to low.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My voigt dynarex 135 is sharp also ,vintage colors but 4meters is too much (I should buy a helical suppose) , in fact is the smallest 135 I've ever seen . My copy suffers from decementing ,stiff focus ,so doesn't get much use, even though I'm about to buy a dynarex 90mm 3.4 which I can't find info about . And that's weird....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Excellent sergtum.
I have owned several Jupiter 11 lenses in different mounts but the best was the Kiev/Contax version like yours.
Excellent lens for sure
Tom

Friends Friends Friends

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russian lenses are infamous for sample-to-sample variation, and I will attest to that from first-hand experience of shooting with some 200 Jupiter-3's.

I have a couple of J-11's, the current KMZ in LTM is sharp- but I have not yet shot with it side-by-side with the Nikkor and others.

My KOMZ in Contax mount is also very sharp, is unusual that it is in a beautiful green paint. Probably for use by the military.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiftyonepointsix wrote:
Russian lenses are infamous for sample-to-sample variation, and I will attest to that from first-hand experience of shooting with some 200 Jupiter-3's.

I have a couple of J-11's, the current KMZ in LTM is sharp- but I have not yet shot with it side-by-side with the Nikkor and others.

My KOMZ in Contax mount is also very sharp, is unusual that it is in a beautiful green paint. Probably for use by the military.

That would be interesting to see.
Would you be able to post a picture.
Thank you
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter-11, Special Paint by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

I've only seen two like this. I found this one at a Photorama Camera show, 15 years ago, for $20.