Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Will you recognize Canon FD 50/1.8?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Will you recognize Canon FD 50/1.8? Reply with quote

Two sets below. One photo in each set is taken with Canon FD 50/1.8, one with Sony E 50/1.8 and one with Sony FE 50/1.8.
Sony NEX-6, JPGs straight from camera, the same settings, no post-processing, f/1.8.
Which one in each set is Canon and why?

1st set:

2nd set:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea! Laugh 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set 1: 3rd pic coz it looks Canon to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

set1: no2
set2: no3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never shot any of them, so I have no clue.
E, C, FE
FE, E, C
The PSF, and the Canon probably has more SA.
I'm more curious to find out if I was consistent.

They are surprisingly very similar.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were right answers, good job Smile.

1st set - Canon is no. 2
2nd set - Canon is no. 3

I like both Canon shoots the most because of bokeh, it's much more attractive to me. I find both Sony lenses blank. Sony FE 50/1.8 is the sharpest while pixel-peeping. Surpisingly, contrast is similar.
Summing up - in this particular example I confirmed I liked vintage lens the most because of overall rendering, no need of extreme sharpness. Now I regret I didn't include proper sample of Pentacon 50/1.8 in the comparison, it would have propably been a killer Smile.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chudy128314 wrote:

1st set - Canon is no. 2
2nd set - Canon is no. 3

I like both Canon shoots the most because of bokeh, it's much more attractive to me. I find both Sony lenses blank. Sony FE 50/1.8 is the sharpest while pixel-peeping. Surpisingly, contrast is similar.
Summing up - in this particular example I confirmed I liked vintage lens the most because of overall rendering, no need of extreme sharpness. Now I regret I didn't include proper sample of Pentacon 50/1.8 in the comparison, it would have propably been a killer Smile.

Those two were clearly from the same lens but I had no real reason to know it was the canon one other than perhaps the remaining shots are fairly similar.

Personally I don't like the Bokeh in these. I just find it fussy & distracting, but I remember other shots with similar bokeh where it's worked really well.
As with pretty much all bokeh, it's all a matter of personal preference.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a legacy lens, the more simple formula produce a clearly simple bokeh, when you see a very complex and more blurred background on the modern ones, the Canon produce nice bubles and nicely "impresionnist" touches in the bokeh. This is just why i can't shoot with modern lenses anymore, everyone has the same bokeh...
Those shoots are really nice to picture that !

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musashichan wrote:
On a legacy lens, the more simple formula produce a clearly simple bokeh, when you see a very complex and more blurred background on the modern ones, the Canon produce nice bubles and nicely "impresionnist" touches in the bokeh. This is just why i can't shoot with modern lenses anymore, everyone has the same bokeh...
Those shoots are really nice to picture that !

Exactly, you pointed it right!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chudy128314 wrote:

1st set - Canon is no. 2
2nd set - Canon is no. 3

You gave the answer too quickly! But these were the two that I had chosen.

I recognized the two images for a reason you might not suspect. I based my conclusion on the characteristically sharp bokeh that my Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 SSCs provide. And if you notice, the 50/1.8's bokeh also exhibit a high level of crispness to their edges. The other two were very similar to each other, so it was not difficult.

In a way the Canon lenses produce oxymoronic bokeh. Consider that bokeh are out of focus highlights, but the Canon bokeh are in-focus out of focus highlights.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, bokeh is critical here. I find both Sony lenses' bokeh "flat", and Canon's one as "bumpy". In other words, Sony renders bokeh that should not disturb (something like modern Sigma Arts), Canon is bold.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon are the one with no EXIF, that is simple and I am just kidding. Laugh 1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen the answer but guessed ) Yes, the old glass give the more pronounced the background. In the days of film it was considered normal but now opinions were divided. Some people like it, others do not. Colorful bokeh has always been the lot of 50mm lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying the Pentacon 50 1.8 can compete with these? I have an Oreston and Pentacon Oreston (literally), one of my fav lens. Would love to see it challenge the Canon.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you won't see difference on sharpness, especially on resized samples, and bokeh will be event more crucial. I'll try to test them.