Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon 5D mk II half mirror stays down when mirror gets up
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:02 pm    Post subject: Canon 5D mk II half mirror stays down when mirror gets up Reply with quote

On Sunday I started to have some shots coming up with almost half the lower frame unexposed in my 5D Mark II.

I realized by locking up the mirror with the mirror lockup function that a plate that lies under the mirror and which should accompany it when moving often gets instead locked in a position parallel to the shutter, so blocking the light that goes to the upper part of the sensor for a good third of it.

A small mirror can be seen on this plate that I never had known of.

The image may explain a lot more

https://www.flickr.com/photos/194732689@N07/51859175797/in/dateposted-public/

I'm thinking of supergluing the part back to the main mirror (that, as I said, works regularly) given that I hope to retire this old camera this year.

If I push it against the lifted mirror it clicks into place.

I also wonder if some little part hasn't detached but I see no evidence for this.

Ty for any comment

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pleto,

If memory serves the 5D classic had an engineering defect which caused the mirror to detach. Canon had a fix. I don't know if Canon had corrected for the II model. Maybe check Canon web site.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that simply the autofocus mirror underneath the main mirror failing to flip out of the way?

I suspect that glueing that to the main mirror will render the camera's autofocus inoperable...

https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/98133/my-secondary-mirror-won-t-go-up-with-the-main-mirror

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
Isn't that simply the autofocus mirror underneath the main mirror failing to flip out of the way?

I suspect that glueing that to the main mirror will render the camera's autofocus inoperable...

https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/98133/my-secondary-mirror-won-t-go-up-with-the-main-mirror

I attend this forum because I only use MF lenses, I have just one AF zoom that I never use... plus camera is going to be retired within this summer.

As a temp measure to continue to use it I taped the submirror to the main, I have lost AF which I do not need but now I can use the camera.

I have a couple APS-cx to work with too but this is my only ff and I have a huge amount of MF lenses.

The only drawback of this solution is that the submirror now projects a ghost image on the main one, a defect that can be eliminated by masking it as well and then taping it back to the main mirror.

I grew up with film cameras so i never feel a necessity for AF, since I do not to sports or birdwatching. I mostly do bokeh shots or portraits in the old style ... and no reporting or pro use at all.

In the meantime I will try to understand if I can repair this defect without dismantling the camera, which means that most likely it will stay like this.

Any repair suggestion is welcome, though

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you are happy to use it with MF lenses only than there is not a lot to worry about Smile

If you do decide to fix it, be aware that alignment of the secondary (autofocus) mirror is critical. After each shutter release this mirror will need to return to its original position such that the optical path length from the mount-to-autofocus sensor is retained within a 0.02mm repeatability or so of the specified calibration.

At least that is the level of accuracy required on the optical path in film cameras to make fast f/1.4 lenses focus consistently; e.g. in Minolta's service manuals for the XD7/XD11 the mount register is specified to a +/- 0.01mm accuracy.

It wouldn't surprise me if the likes of Leica might even go one better with an accuracy of +/-0.005mm or so.