Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta XD7: Dual exposure pre- & post pregnancy
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Minolta XD7: Dual exposure pre- & post pregnancy Reply with quote

Hi,

I've an acquaintance who will let me try a dual exposure of her some time before and some time after giving birth. Preferrably showing a baby belly through a dress in the first, from the side, then with the baby in her arms in the same position some time later.

I've not tried this function with a film camera before but will make sure to do so before hand.

Does anyone have any advice to give in terms of backdrop and exposure or just how this function handles on the XD, or perhaps choice of film?

Was thinking Ilford XP2 to be developed by a lab and a relatively clean / even background with EV0 auto exposure both times.

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an XD-11, which is the same as your XD-7. If you don't have a manual for it, I recommend you visit Mike Butkus's site and d/l a copy of the XD-11 (or XD-7 if he has it) manual, then read up on multiple exposure.

In my 35+ years of photography, I think I've done multiple exposures maybe 4 or 5 times, so I'm hardly an expert at it. One thing I do recall about it is that, so as not to over expose the frame, to divide the total exposure up amongst the total number of exposures there will be on the one frame. So let's say for a double exposure, where the exposure might normally be 1/125 of a second at a given aperture, with a double exposure situation, you should shoot each exposure at 1/250 of a second. Or so the received wisdom goes.

I have a problem with that and here's why: if each exposure will be occurring on an area of the negative or positive that has minimal or no overlap with the other exposure, then I don't believe that sort of advice should be followed. Because even though a double exposure is being made, only a single exposure's worth of information is being exposed to that specific area of the image frame. As an example, say for shot one, you'll be taking a pic of something on the left side of the frame with nothing on the right, then shot two you're taking a pic of something on the right side of the frame but nothing on the left. In this sort of situation, each shot would be exposed normally, so normal exposure would be called for.

In your situation, I'd do as much reading up on the subject as I could find.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I have an XD-11, which is the same as your XD-7. If you don't have a manual for it, I recommend you visit Mike Butkus's site and d/l a copy of the XD-11 (or XD-7 if he has it) manual, then read up on multiple exposure.

In my 35+ years of photography, I think I've done multiple exposures maybe 4 or 5 times, so I'm hardly an expert at it. One thing I do recall about it is that, so as not to over expose the frame, to divide the total exposure up amongst the total number of exposures there will be on the one frame. So let's say for a double exposure, where the exposure might normally be 1/125 of a second at a given aperture, with a double exposure situation, you should shoot each exposure at 1/250 of a second. Or so the received wisdom goes.

I have a problem with that and here's why: if each exposure will be occurring on an area of the negative or positive that has minimal or no overlap with the other exposure, then I don't believe that sort of advice should be followed. Because even though a double exposure is being made, only a single exposure's worth of information is being exposed to that specific area of the image frame. As an example, say for shot one, you'll be taking a pic of something on the left side of the frame with nothing on the right, then shot two you're taking a pic of something on the right side of the frame but nothing on the left. In this sort of situation, each shot would be exposed normally, so normal exposure would be called for.

In your situation, I'd do as much reading up on the subject as I could find.

Many thanks for your reply. The bit about exposing normally for a scene where there would be little or no overlap makes sense, as does the above, where there would be mostly overlap, as in this case I think.

The manual explains how to do a multi exposure shot with the XD and about exposing for a translucent figure with a background showing through, essentially variant three; and that EV-1 would be used for both shots.

I found discussions regarding this type of photography with this camera rather hard to come by and therefore I started this thread. Will broaden the search to any film camera and any type of portrait. Thanks again for the reply.